Thread: Strategy vs better opponent

Addicted

Strategy vs better opponent

Tomorrow i have my big CL rematch vs an opponent who has quite a better team than me. My quality is 21.5, his 25.5.

I managed to win the homematch 3-1 with a 5-1-2-1-1 formation against his 4-1-3-2. He seems to change his formations quite a bit (atm he is using 4-3-3), so i think I cant really counter it, but I think he will play quite offensive, cause he must score at least 2 goals to advance.

I thought about a ultra defensive formation (like 5-3-1-1) with very defensive mentality. Do you think with that strat i have a decent shot to advance? (I cant let him score more than once, assuming i wont score...)

Or should i play a bit more offensive and hope to score at least once so I can afford more mistakes in my defense?

Addicted
    i know you guys normally dont play stronger opponents than yourself, but does really nobody have an idea if I should try the uber defense?^^

personally, I never used the defensive mentality, when I have matches like that I use normal mentality and just press my own half of the peach, that way you can surprise him when he attacks, get the away goal and be safe.. but that's just me.

Parking the bus is no bad strategy against a stronger opponent (althought 25 -21 is no big difference), but I would try to score from counters since 2 goals can be quickly archived with standard situations. If he plays a 4-3N-3 then I would select the 4-1-4-1, motivate wing backs, DMC, wingers, press the own half, mixed passing and activate counters. The system can be played with normal or defense mentality, I would choose normal.

I would also take a look on his bench and think about changes the opponent can do. And then check if you can react with your bench.

Founded: January, 16th 2013
    League level: 20
    "We are no cup team, we are a pub team"

- FCK stories from time to time, when I look around. -

Addicted
    he changes his formation like his underpants, so its hard to counter it. Lets see how it looks like a few minutes before the match (and more important: after todays league match)

I will go with a defensive counter attack style instead of the ultra defensive 5-3-1-1. Wish me luck to score the away goal (and to my defesive to do a good job too^^)

Another question: If it should go to penalty shootout, how much does a penalty killer keeper help? I have two keepers:
    23 overall, 26.6 def, 20.8 att, 23.2 physical, penalty killer
    23 overall, 32.8 def, 17.2 def, 19.4 physical, no ability

normally the second one is ma A team keeper, but do you think i should send out the penalty killer for the chance of a shootout?

Addicted
    damn it, ofc i lost 0-2.

had a few chances, but blew it all. opponent hat 3 chances and scored twice.

ouch; supposed you went to penalties. i guess he was spectating the game and was making changes as you were, right? or were you just unlucky?

Addicted
    no, no penalties, he won because of away goal rule.

he played 4-3-3 vs my 4-1-4-1.

he only made chances after his second goal (goals at 18' and 54'), first he brought a DC for a ST then a DMC for a second ST. I brought some more offensive players after the 0-2, but i didnt managed to score.