Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By SimplySimon

Thread: Long Term Strategy

Long Term Strategy

I'm a non-token buyer so I run on a 35T budget, and am currently at level 3. I've got a friend who has somehow managed to land in the same league as me, even though we sort of concluded that we were in different servers. Both of us cannot realistically hope to compete at a high level for the cup/champion's league due to our limited tokens, so we both felt it might be a good idea for us to have one guy tank the season, get the league trophy while the other tries hard to finish strong for the cup and CL.

What do I mean by this? For example, this season it's my turn to rebuild. The only thing I'll be gunning for is the league trophy, the others are all bonuses. I'll buy no extra players save for 1-2 at the start of the reason just to replace my older guys, costing me no more than 10 tokens. My friend would then go all out and try to win the cup/CL by heavily buying on players - can't get any scouts I know - using reserves from previous seasons. Then we'll rinse and repeat as we try to build up our players for the next season, where we train our young players hard regardless of whether they'll be able to play in their competitive matches or not.

There are no offers available in my geographical location, so can't possibly farm up a whole lot of boosters. However, the try who tanks the season will try to get in at least 1-2 friendlies a day in order to earn some boosters for the next season.

What do you guys think of your plan? Any advice/comments will be great.

Don't really understand what you are doing here, or why the two of you need to collude between you for one to try to win the league and one to go for knockouts. Even if you are in all three competitions together, you might only play each other twice all season, so how will that work for the rest of your games?

And if it benefits you to tank a season in order to build up packs and tokens, why don't you both do the same thing?

League and CL are against same level teams, so you should be able to compete well even if there are one or two scout buyers and a trophy is possible, certainly a medal, especially as you are low level players. Cup on the other hand is based on quality rating, so if you've not got a great team that also works in your benefit - it's actually token spenders who suffer a bit here, because they'll get higher level teams in their competition

Perhaps you didn't explain yourself well, but from what I understand your strategy is bizarre
    Sxrenity likes this.
    Team:

- Feeder AFC -

Season 5, Level 5

Records:

Season 1: League Champions (no Cup or CL)

Season 2: League Champions, Cup silver medal, CL silver medal

Season 3: League Champions, CL bronze medal

Season 4: League bronze medal, CL winner, Cup winner

Quote Originally Posted by SimplySimon View Post
    Don't really understand what you are doing here, or why the two of you need to collude between you for one to try to win the league and one to go for knockouts. Even if you are in all three competitions together, you might only play each other twice all season, so how will that work for the rest of your games?

And if it benefits you to tank a season in order to build up packs and tokens, why don't you both do the same thing?

League and CL are against same level teams, so you should be able to compete well even if there are one or two scout buyers and a trophy is possible, certainly a medal, especially as you are low level players. Cup on the other hand is based on quality rating, so if you've not got a great team that also works in your benefit - it's actually token spenders who suffer a bit here, because they'll get higher level teams in their competition

Perhaps you didn't explain yourself well, but from what I understand your strategy is bizarre
    Thanks for the reply!

Chances are that we'll end up in the same league for seasons to come, so was thinking if we wanted to make a run at finishing first for at least two competitions, we would give each other less trouble that way. The person tanking the season only has to worry about the league, which makes it pretty relaxing and still retains a good chance at finishing first since we're both at a low level. For the guy gunning for titles in the cup/CL, it'll be less exhausting on his players - need only finish fourth so can always field lousier players for league matches. That way, in league competitions, there'll be no conflicting interests as well.

Both of us tanking the season together would mean that we'll both be competing for the league trophy next season, and while we play only twice a season, both of us have to make sure we're constantly in top shape for league games. Should the guy fighting for CL/Cup need only finish fourth, could potentially mean a lot more rest packs saved as there could be really a great difference in points needed for 4th as opposed to 3rd, 2nd or even 1st.

Not too sure if I've been clear enough, but generally what I mean is that taking turns to tank means it'll be less stressful for us on the league matches.

Ok, well my understanding of 'tank a season' means deliberately losing to finish below 7th and stay at the same level. So now your strategy makes a bit more sense. But not much more

What if the knockout person gets dumped out early, what are they playing for after that? Or the league person loses a couple of games they expected to win and falls behind in the table? What if both happen and suddenly the knockout person is best placed to win the league?

Seriously, just try to win everything. You probably won't, but it's no fun not to try - at least for me. That 'stress' is what makes me want to play!

You'll only know if you are likely to win trophies when you get towards the end of a season, so planning to give each other an easy time is daft - and in a worse case scenario it backfires and neither of you get anything
    Last edited by SimplySimon; 07-02-2013 at 05:07 AM.
    Team:

- Feeder AFC -

Season 5, Level 5

Records:

Season 1: League Champions (no Cup or CL)

Season 2: League Champions, Cup silver medal, CL silver medal

Season 3: League Champions, CL bronze medal

Season 4: League bronze medal, CL winner, Cup winner

Quote Originally Posted by SimplySimon View Post
    Ok, well my understanding of 'tank a season' means deliberately losing to finish below 7th and stay at the same level. So now your strategy makes a bit more sense. But not much more

What if the knockout person gets dumped out early, what are they playing for after that? Or the league person loses a couple of games they expected to win and falls behind in the table? What if both happen and suddenly the knockout person is best placed to win the league?

Seriously, just try to win everything. You probably won't, but it's no fun not to try - at least for me. That 'stress' is what makes me want to play!

You'll only know if you are likely to win trophies when you get towards the end of a season, so planning to give each other an easy time is daft - and in a worse case scenario it backfires and neither of you get anything
    Ah okay, forgot about screw ups :/

Was not too sure about exact definition of tanking lol, but now does it make any sense to tank a season at such a low level? Are there any real benefits? Been noticing how everyone seems to be fighting for promotion even at higher levels, seems to me that it'll just continue to spawn a new cycle where there's no realistic chance of winning any trophy if you end up in a weak position after promoting. Or is there any supposed clean record that might be blemished if one doesn't get promoted? Like say something like season 10, level 8/9 wouldn't look too good?

Banned
    OK,

I have thought about tanking seasons, mainly last season as there were two token buyers in my league and I hate playing when I only have a chance at third place. Why bother when you cant compete? Anyways, I didnt tank the season because I tried to lose and still won games = illegal formations, bad tactics...I was surprised.

If you tank the season, meaning coming in 8th-14th, you will not be promoted and stay in lvl 3. When your friend does not tank his season, he will be in lvl 4 and out of your hair, until he decides to tank a season. So as long as you keep being promoted, you will never be in the same league or CL, BUT you may end up in the same CUP depending on your Quality.

If you decide to tank your season, save all your skill points and dont distribute them. At the start of the next season, you will renew your players contracts that expire and pay less in signing fees. In addition to that, you will be put in a lower quality CUP, where you can then add the skill points and be a much better quality team than most others in your Cup bracket. the downside to that is that you will not be involved in the CL. BUT, you will have a whole season to improve your players and should come close to adding a full * to each player depending on how you train your players, and how fast they are at training.

The easiest thing to do is to play out the season with your friend and try to win all competitions. On day 27 of the season, unfriend your friend in FB, or in the game if he is not a FB friend, and you will most likely not be put in the same league and/or CL bracket. I have done this the past 3 seasons successfully.

I hope this helps....

Quote Originally Posted by cracicot View Post
    OK,

I have thought about tanking seasons, mainly last season as there were two token buyers in my league and I hate playing when I only have a chance at third place. Why bother when you cant compete? Anyways, I didnt tank the season because I tried to lose and still won games = illegal formations, bad tactics...I was surprised.

If you tank the season, meaning coming in 8th-14th, you will not be promoted and stay in lvl 3. When your friend does not tank his season, he will be in lvl 4 and out of your hair, until he decides to tank a season. So as long as you keep being promoted, you will never be in the same league or CL, BUT you may end up in the same CUP depending on your Quality.

If you decide to tank your season, save all your skill points and dont distribute them. At the start of the next season, you will renew your players contracts that expire and pay less in signing fees. In addition to that, you will be put in a lower quality CUP, where you can then add the skill points and be a much better quality team than most others in your Cup bracket. the downside to that is that you will not be involved in the CL. BUT, you will have a whole season to improve your players and should come close to adding a full * to each player depending on how you train your players, and how fast they are at training.

The easiest thing to do is to play out the season with your friend and try to win all competitions. On day 27 of the season, unfriend your friend in FB, or in the game if he is not a FB friend, and you will most likely not be put in the same league and/or CL bracket. I have done this the past 3 seasons successfully.

I hope this helps....
    Thanks for the input on saving up skill points and the fact that you can unfriend on day 27.

Comment definitely did help, thanks a lot!