Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree14Likes

Thread: What's the best game you have attended?

What's the best game you have attended?

Im interested to know what is the best game you have ever attended and why?

It doesn't just have to be about the actual match it could be something about the whole day that was personal to you that made it the best.
    TypTex likes this.

Dreamer
    13th May 2013 Championship playoff semi final 2nd leg *****ton V Crystal Palace

There is no love lost between Palace and *****ton, in fact we hate each other. It's the same hate as any of the big football rivalries around the world, albeit with less supporters involved than some of the larger clubs. But for us to meet the **** in an important playoff match could only have one thinkable outcome, we simply had to beat them.

Problem was, they had a better team than us and they were in form. We were on a bad run of results and for the first time in a long long long time we were the underdogs going into a match against *****ton.

To make things worse *****ton were acting like they'd won the match before a ball was even kicked, this really was the time to put them back in their place and if possible rub their noses in it as well, damn we had to win.

The score was 0-0 after the 1st leg at Selhurst Park and *****ton fans were turning up to the game thinking they'd won it already. They simply did not believe they could lose at home to us. The fact we had lost badly 3-0 there a few weeks earlier helped their case.

This was a bad tempered game for both fans and players. Our fans were charged up by the arrogance of the home fans and our players were charged up by the extraordinary tactics of the home team pre-match, someone at the club had smeared human excrement around our players dressing room before the match. Disgusting.

To cut a long story short, the game was very tight and with quarter of an hour left the score was 0-0..... then Wilfred Zara struck ...twice ... game over ... and did we celebrate ... **** yeah . This game not only helped put us back into the Premiership but gave us the bragging rights for the next few years over our small town rivals down the road.

Zaha goals v Brighton - Brighton 0-2 Palace - YouTube

Thank you Wilf, Palace love you, and we want you back home again, even if it's on loan.
    Cat Harrison and Sully like this.

Quote Originally Posted by TypTex View Post
    13th May 2013 Championship playoff semi final 2nd leg *****ton V Crystal Palace

There is no love lost between Palace and *****ton, in fact we hate each other. It's the same hate as any of the big football rivalries around the world, albeit with less supporters involved than some of the larger clubs. But for us to meet the **** in an important playoff match could only have one thinkable outcome, we simply had to beat them.

Problem was, they had a better team than us and they were in form. We were on a bad run of results and for the first time in a long long long time we were the underdogs going into a match against *****ton.

To make things worse *****ton were acting like they'd won the match before a ball was even kicked, this really was the time to put them back in their place and if possible rub their noses in it as well, damn we had to win.

The score was 0-0 after the 1st leg at Selhurst Park and *****ton fans were turning up to the game thinking they'd won it already. They simply did not believe they could lose at home to us. The fact we had lost badly 3-0 there a few weeks earlier helped their case.

This was a bad tempered game for both fans and players. Our fans were charged up by the arrogance of the home fans and our players were charged up by the extraordinary tactics of the home team pre-match, someone at the club had smeared human excrement around our players dressing room before the match. Disgusting.

To cut a long story short, the game was very tight and with quarter of an hour left the score was 0-0..... then Wilfred Zara struck ...twice ... game over ... and did we celebrate ... **** yeah . This game not only helped put us back into the Premiership but gave us the bragging rights for the next few years over our small town rivals down the road.

Zaha goals v Brighton - Brighton 0-2 Palace - YouTube

Thank you Wilf, Palace love you, and we want you back home again, even if it's on loan.
    Excuse my ignorance, im not familiar with that part of the country and I didn't even know the fans of the two clubs hated each other but what is the distance between the clubs and is this a hatred that has went on for years?
    TypTex likes this.

Dreamer
    Quote Originally Posted by Sully View Post
    Excuse my ignorance, im not familiar with that part of the country and I didn't even know the fans of the two clubs hated each other but what is the distance between the clubs and is this a hatred that has went on for years?
    It's one of the weirder rivalries in English football. The distance between the clubs is around 40 - 50 miles, Palace are a London team and Brighton are a South coast team, and although it's not a derby game in the tradition sense of the word, it is always the league game we would look to first in the fixture lists.

The origins of the rivalry started in the mid 70's when Terry Venables took over as Palace manager and Alan Mullery was Brighton manager. The two men already hated each other and the clubs were of a similar level and had similar expectations for the season. The league games that season were fierce and we were drawn together in the cup that season as well. Their was a war of words between the two managers and the rivalry continued after that. (This was all before my time, and I've grown up with the Palace / Brighton banter).

Every club has their rivals and teams that they hate, it's one of the things that make a football match. Personally I find the Brighton rivalry all a little pointless as we have been the better team (in a higher league), for many of the last few seasons, and I get more wound up by the cl**ns up the road, but Brighton is now a tradition for us, and as long as we keep on beating them long may it continue ))
    Sully likes this.

Dreamer
    This probably isn't the most appropriate post as the link contains swear words in a football crowd, but it does have relevance.

Another example of the the Palace Brighton rivalry shows in the nickname many of our fans gave our star forward last season.
    Glenn Murray (the leagues top goalscorer), was a Brighton player before they released him to us. A couple of seasons ago he scored a last minute winner for us at Brighton. Somehow the link below found its way onto youtube and we liked it so much the name stuck.

FFS Murray - YouTube

So if you hear Glenn Murray being referred to as FFS Murray by Palace fans, it's not us being rude, it's a term of endearment for the Brighton reaction to his goal.

My team on here is also called after this, the FFS Eagles are now in their 5th season ))
    Last edited by TypTex; 12-22-2013 at 08:50 PM.
    Sully likes this.

Cool. I have to say it's a rivalry I'd never heard of and as you say it's a bit weird with the two teams being so far away. Having said that I support Rangers and we have quite a rivalry that really does have alot if hatred with Aberdeen, Aberdeen fans still sing about the Ibrox Disaster where 66 fans lost their lives in the 70's. But that rivalry is nothing like our one with Celtic!! Being in the same city it really does affect every normal day life.
    TypTex likes this.

Dreamer
    Cool. I have to say it's a rivalry I'd never heard of and as you say it's a bit weird with the two teams being so far away. Having said that I support Rangers and we have quite a rivalry that really does have alot if hatred with Aberdeen, Aberdeen fans still sing about the Ibrox Disaster where 66 fans lost their lives in the 70's. But that rivalry is nothing like our one with Celtic!! Being in the same city it really does affect every normal day life.
    I've spent some time living in Scotland, (small little place few miles East of Glasgow beginning with E), (now there's a city rivalry if there ever was one)).

I'm normally comfortable talking football and football politics about any clubs, but the Old Firm rivalry, really has no equals. I've never known football to be so tied up with religion and politics and being in Glasgow after an Old Firm match is really not something to recommend. Even the ferries back to Ireland have to be separated. But damn, what passion, what love the supporters show for the clubs. To my mind these are the most passionate supporters in the world.

Will be interesting to see what happens in a couple of seasons when Rangers get back where they belong in the top flight again. I think Rangers have every right to settle a few scores, (on the pitch), with the rest of the SPL.
    Sully likes this.

I was talking to one of my employees who moved here 6 months ago from nottingham and he can't believe what it is like. I've been attacked twice and was banned from my local pub after it got took over from a Celtic fan and I drank in it for 10 years simply because I am a Rangers fan.

As for Rangers getting back to the top, 2014 and 2015 is going to be massive off the park, way bigger than what has already happened to us. There rumours are that an investigation into the whole last two years will show Rangers were the victims of fraud. Then there is Celtic who could be in big, big trouble with suspicious loans with the co-op and even more suspicious land deals with Glasgow Council.

Believe me off the park it's going to get even crazier up here next year!!!!
    TypTex likes this.

Dreamer
    I was talking to one of my employees who moved here 6 months ago from nottingham and he can't believe what it is like. I've been attacked twice and was banned from my local pub after it got took over from a Celtic fan and I drank in it for 10 years simply because I am a Rangers fan.

Believe me off the park it's going to get even crazier up here next year!!!!
    Is always sad to hear stories of when people take their football support too far, the landlord should be ashamed of himself. But as we know, it's a part of football and a part of life. We wear our colours, wear them with pride, and try and act with honour, is all that can be done.

As for the off the field antics of these chairmen, aghhh, how many more rich millionaires are there that are going to buy football clubs and then start trying to mess with them simply to try and make more money for themselves. English examples at the moment, are that fool at Hull City wanting to change their name to Hull Tigers, **** off fella. Then there's that clown at Cardiff, Tan, first changing the club colours from blue to red then trying to oust the most successful manager there for years. Fans simply won't stand back and take this nonsense. Is just a pity more can't be done to stop them. The FA fit and proper persons check on these chairmen is a joke.

Whatever the troubles ahead are for Scottish football and its clubs, I do wish the Rangers well, as I feel the punishment they received did not fit the crime so to speak, I feel it was the fans who were made to suffer and the rest of Scottish football seemed to sit back and join in by voting it through, they just seemed happy it wasn't their turn.

One thing about football, it's never dull, and some of it would be quite funny, if, and it's a big if, if it didn't matter so damn much.

Quote Originally Posted by TypTex View Post
    Is always sad to hear stories of when people take their football support too far, the landlord should be ashamed of himself. But as we know, it's a part of football and a part We wear our colours, wear them with pride, and try and act with honour, is all that can be done.

As for the off the field antics of these chairmen, aghhh, how many more rich millionaires are there that are going to buy football clubs and then start trying to mess with them simply to try and make more money for themselves. English examples at the moment, are that fool at Hull City wanting to change their name to Hull Tigers, **** off fella. Then there's that clown at Cardiff, Tan, first changing the club colours from blue to red then trying to oust the most successful manager there for years. Fans simply won't stand back and take this nonsense. Is just a pity more can't be done to stop them. The FA fit and proper persons check on these chairmen is a joke.

Whatever the troubles ahead are for Scottish football and its clubs, I do wish the Rangers well, as I feel the punishment they received did not fit the crime so to speak, I feel it was the fans who were made to suffer and the rest of Scottish football seemed to sit back and join in by voting it through, they just seemed happy it wasn't their turn.

One thing about football, it's never dull, and some of it would be quite funny, if, and it's a big if, if it didn't matter so damn much.
    Unfortunately in Glasgow that happens far too often especially when the two teams play each other but, having said that nothing in this world beats Old Firm weekend from when you finish work on Friday till you go back to work on the Monday(unless we have lost then it's the Tuesday) especially if we have won!!!

Don't talk to me about these fit and proper person tests, if the SFA had done their job we wouldn't be in the this mess. Right two of our biggest shareholders are anonymous and refuse to reveal who they are.

Unfortunately for Scottish football everyone seems to see Rangers were punished far too harshly apart from people in Scotland although they are starting to see that now. It was mainly done out of jealously and now they are paying for it. Celtic are a good example, when Rangers were at the top Celtic would get over 50000 for league games at home, apparently on Saturday there they had less than 20000, although they claimed there was 46000 but if you look at the TV pictures you know they are lying.

What is happening at Hull and Cardiff is a joke, the biggest league in the world and these guys are allowed to make a mockery of it. Something has to be done.
    TypTex likes this.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast