Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree5Likes

Thread: does "total defense" help?

does "total defense" help?

i just looked for possible opponents in the final champions league stages and stumbled upon a team consisting mostly of World Class players and a few Scouts.
    Meaning he is far better in quality and plays quite an offensive formation.

Now my idea: could i survive the CL final (at least until the penalty shoot out) by using the most defensive formation possible? I'm talking of something like this:
    Code:
         --    ST    --
    --   --    --    --   --
    --   --    MC    --   --
    --  DMC   DMC   DMC   --
    DL   DC    DC    DC   DR
    or more extreme: 5 players each in D- and DM-row...

Would that (combined with very def mentality) stand against his attacks for 120 minutes?
    Does any of you have experience with this kind of extreme defense?
    Last edited by corbit; 08-13-2013 at 06:06 PM.

Rookie
    Very long shot I would say. Playing an illegal formation against a far better team is most likely going to turn into a massacre.
    corbit likes this.

Apprentice
    Thats an illegal formation. U need at least 4 players in the opponent side of the field.
    corbit likes this.

You will die i expect.....probably best 4-4-2 or 5-4-1. quite a defensive tactic for a much stronger team. Good luck
    corbit likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Gooners FC View Post
    You will die i expect.....probably best 4-4-2 or 5-4-1. quite a defensive tactic for a much stronger team. Good luck
    I would go for 5-4-1, hard defending, hard tackling, whole pitch, mixed passing, focus mixed passing, counter attack and no offside trap.
    Cat Harrison and corbit like this.

thank you for your answers, that convinced me in the first place.

I already sent him a friend request yesterday and just for fun I tried it out in a friendly 10 minutes ago.
    Not because I would not trust you guys, but to see how badly I'd be slaughtered...

I was suprised how it worked out, even if it was just luck.
    Used DML/DMR with red arrows (to make it "almost" legal) and an AMC with red arrows instead of a striker.
    hard defending, hard tackling, half pitch, mixed passing and counter attack.

If I meet him in the finale I'll possibly give it a try...

(In a stage with two legs I'd prefer 5-4-1 for sure!)

does "total defense" help?-z.jpg

Apprentice
    Nice. I would though that formation was illegal but i guess is not.
    Good luck on ur way to the finals.

Quote Originally Posted by corbit View Post
    thank you for your answers, that convinced me in the first place.

I already sent him a friend request yesterday and just for fun I tried it out in a friendly 10 minutes ago.
    Not because I would not trust you guys, but to see how badly I'd be slaughtered...

I was suprised how it worked out, even if it was just luck.
    Used DML/DMR with red arrows (to make it "almost" legal) and an AMC with red arrows instead of a striker.
    hard defending, hard tackling, half pitch, mixed passing and counter attack.

If I meet him in the finale I'll possibly give it a try...

(In a stage with two legs I'd prefer 5-4-1 for sure!)

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	z.jpg 
Views:	62 
Size:	94.4 KB 
ID:	10895
    You still have chance to win if you play counter-attack. Defend well the whole match and score 1 goal in the last minute, then the glory will be yours ^^

ok, thanks!

I prepared 4-3N-1-2 for a league game I couldn't attend tonight and guess what - HE challenged me for a friendly before that and it was a really close match!
    (1-1 after 90 minutes, 2-2 after overtime, and then a 4-3 win for him in penalty shoot-out)

I'm really surprised because his formation had an average strength of 44 while mine was only 36! Seems to be not that big of a difference after all, huh?
    Strange thing...

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by corbit View Post
    ok, thanks!

I prepared 4-3N-1-2 for a league game I couldn't attend tonight and guess what - HE challenged me for a friendly before that and it was a really close match!
    (1-1 after 90 minutes, 2-2 after overtime, and then a 4-3 win for him in penalty shoot-out)

I'm really surprised because his formation had an average strength of 44 while mine was only 36! Seems to be not that big of a difference after all, huh?
    Strange thing...
    44 vs 36 is still not a huge gap, if you pick the right counter formation and tactics, you can definitely win. If 44 vs 22, then it will be another story, but winning is still possible if the weaker side play defensively with 4-1-4-1 or 5-4-1 for example. I drew a match against a much much weaker team that played very defensively also.

What's the score of the official league match?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast