Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By pcmacdaniel

Thread: Countering 4-4-2

Exclamation Countering 4-4-2

I am just wondering, which is the best formation to counter 4-4-2?

1) 3-5-2V?
    2) Butterfly?
    3) 3-4-1-2?
    4) 4-2-1-2(through the middle)?

And if in case, what's the best order for them?
    (Mentality, Passing, pressing, tackling, Marking, Counter, Offsides - And even the Arrows)

***If i'm stronger what formation? If I'm weaker then what would be best fit for my team?

PS:
    "This is for my Semi-Finals cup and for my future games; and i hope this can help others who wants to be informed as well."

Thank you in advance mates!
    Gracias amigo!
    Merci beaucoup a tous!
    Last edited by shafter; 10-12-2014 at 02:42 AM.

Rookie
    3N-4-1-2 or butterfly
    i guess

3-5-2 is the best or butterfly

Famous
    check out your opponents midfielders quality, stats and form. These are important to help you make an educated guess at what your opponents arrows are. If there is far more offensive production, form or quality (especially at lower levels) from MC's than ML/MR, your opponent probably likes to play through the middle. The 4-1-2-1-2 (ND) works great if the 4-4-2 has the MC's with red arrows, since you'll have a numbers advantage in the midfield. Attacking, through the middle, whole pitch, hard tackling, short passing, zonal, no counter, no offsides.

If the opponent is playing through the flanks, something like a 4-3W-1-2 or 4-1-2-1-2 (WD) is a good play since the MC's shouldn't pose a threat and the extra body in the attacking half will give you a numbers advantage against the 4-4-2. Same as above, just change focused passing to down the flanks.

If I cannot make an educated guess regarding opposing arrows, I mirror the 4-4-2 or play 4-5-1 flat.

When i'm significantly weaker, I use a 4-5-1 flat against the 4-4-2. Defensive, through the middle, own half pressing, hard tackling, mixed passing, zonal, counters on. Red arrows on DL/DR and 2 MC's. Blue arrows on ML, middle MC, MR.
    shafter likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by pcmacdaniel View Post
    check out your opponents midfielders quality, stats and form. These are important to help you make an educated guess at what your opponents arrows are. If there is far more offensive production, form or quality (especially at lower levels) from MC's than ML/MR, your opponent probably likes to play through the middle. The 4-1-2-1-2 (ND) works great if the 4-4-2 has the MC's with red arrows, since you'll have a numbers advantage in the midfield. Attacking, through the middle, whole pitch, hard tackling, short passing, zonal, no counter, no offsides.

If the opponent is playing through the flanks, something like a 4-3W-1-2 or 4-1-2-1-2 (WD) is a good play since the MC's shouldn't pose a threat and the extra body in the attacking half will give you a numbers advantage against the 4-4-2. Same as above, just change focused passing to down the flanks.

If I cannot make an educated guess regarding opposing arrows, I mirror the 4-4-2 or play 4-5-1 flat.

When i'm significantly weaker, I use a 4-5-1 flat against the 4-4-2. Defensive, through the middle, own half pressing, hard tackling, mixed passing, zonal, counters on. Red arrows on DL/DR and 2 MC's. Blue arrows on ML, middle MC, MR.

WOW I learned deeper about the formation counter for 4-4-2!

The one most effective formation that i had this whole career of playing Top Eleven is 4-1-2-1-2 Through Mid, no counter no offside and the rest are default... I always think that the Middle is weakest side of 4-4-2 and literally, there's a hole in it to go through.

I actually have been defeated using 3-5-2v twice this league before against both weaker and stronger team.

Thanks for teaching me and making me realize how to contain the mid using 4-5-1, by making the Mid focusing on defense. I think that i can stop them by attacking coz of defensive mid. I'll try this position later on my 1st leg of Semis Cup. I'm on my Home pitch on my 1st leg. so possessions is the most important thing to prevent that 'away goal rules'... And wishing i'll be dominating their pitch on the 2nd leg.

352 work only if playing away as ur LM/RM will be infront of their LM/RM if you defend or normal, playing at home will be sucide bcz they will catch u in counter with their LM/RM are sitting back more
    i play butterfly both home and away, and despite it don't give me slight advantage if we are equal .. should be ok for 80% of matches
    my team @ http://forum.topeleven.com/team-show...ears-fc-2.html
    League : winner (S1, S2, S3, S6, S7) , runner up (S4*, S5*) * was in holiday away
    CL: Winner (S4, S7), runner up (S2, S3, S5, S6)
    Cup: Winner (S3)