Thread: What does 3-6-1 Butterfly look like and what is it good for?

What does 3-6-1 Butterfly look like and what is it good for?

In T11_fan's guide, it's 3-6-1 Butterfly, and in the 2.0 Guide, it's 3-2-2-2-1 Butterfly, which I think is meant to be the same formation. The second form gives me a better idea.

Are we talking two DMC, two MC and two AMC?

I have seen this formation and thought it was very ugly. I don't remember how I did against it, it is possible that it gave me some trouble.

I noticed that it is often listed as a counter to various formations, so guide authors must think it is a strong formation. It is listed as a counter against my next opponent's 3N-4-3. For once, I have personnel to try it. I rarely have such luxury as 2 DMC or 2 AMC on my mean and lean squad, but early in the season I am still trying people out.
    Team Orange Roughies | Last season league winners, Cup and CL finalists | Season 11 | Level 11

TREBLE wins: 1
    League: 7
    Cup: 2
    Champions League: 2

Whenever I saw butterfly, I thought 3dc-2dml/r-2mc-2aml/r-1st. Since that looks like a butterfly. But 3w-2dmc-2mc-2aml/r-1st kinda looks like a butterfly too.

I've been using these two formations a lot this year with great success (10 games, 50 goals, 2 conceded).

I use the 3dc version against any 3 St formation.
    Last edited by motrin; 04-08-2016 at 07:08 PM.

Here are some of the games I used the formations for this season:

What does 3-6-1 Butterfly look like and what is it good for?-1.jpg

What does 3-6-1 Butterfly look like and what is it good for?-2.jpg

What does 3-6-1 Butterfly look like and what is it good for?-3.jpg

What does 3-6-1 Butterfly look like and what is it good for?-4.jpg

What does 3-6-1 Butterfly look like and what is it good for?-5.jpg

Dreamer
    Quote Originally Posted by motrin View Post
    Whenever I saw butterfly, I thought 3dc-2dml/r-2mc-2aml/r-1st.
    I'm pretty sure this one is meant in counter formation table. I do like it, but I don't use it a lot since I don't often have both DML and DMR.

It should be most effective against formations without wingers and no more than two strikers (4-4-2, 3-5-2 flat). To use it against 3N-4-3, you'd have to be pretty sure of your defense.

Quote Originally Posted by Duncton View Post
    I'm pretty sure this one is meant in counter formation table.
    Yah, it makes more sense now, as yours (and motrin's) looks more like a butterfly AND is a stronger formation. The top is exactly like my preferred 4-5-1V. And at the bottom one D is swapped for a winged DM and DMC is shifted off to the wing.

Before I read your explanation, I was going to counter 3N-4-3 with a 3N-5-2V. But given that STs are once again useless this season, I could see trying out the butterfly for the first time ever. Like you, I don't often have the luxury of DML and DMR. Am I sure of my defense? No, but on paper they are higher Q than the opposition's attack. Not that that means much. Worked out for motrin in his first example (6:0), though we don't know about his relative Q.

What orders would go with that matchup, motrin? I have 1.5 quality points on the opposition -- not that that has counted for much so far this season. Playing away.
    Team Orange Roughies | Last season league winners, Cup and CL finalists | Season 11 | Level 11

TREBLE wins: 1
    League: 7
    Cup: 2
    Champions League: 2