Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By nikolgiorgos
  • 1 Post By nikolgiorgos

Thread: Tactics vs Formation Discussion

Apprentice

Tactics vs Formation Discussion

Hi all,

I've been using the same formation, pretty much since I started. I read in a few places that changing formation isn't good for you - and I there is a "favourite formation" info on people's profiles. So I have been just changing my tactics,depending on the opponent, and having great success.

My question is, do we have any real data that changing formation is a bad thing?

I lost one game this season, in the cup, and it was one of the three I changed formation for, but it was in the first round of the cup against a slightly better opponent (I went back to my normal formation and won 0-3 in the second leg and went through 3-2 in the end).

Also, if people can post tactic sets they think go well together. I'd like to be a bit clearer which tactics go best together - like defensive with forcing counter attacks, and short passing in a stacked midfield, which passing style suits getting it out to the flanks (I assume long but the guy who won the CL today used short), etc.

I'd like to stay away from conspiracy theories, and concentrate on an honest discussion of tactics that go together well.

I generally use a few sets, just to share my info even though I'm not an expert:

Always normal tackling.
    Man Marking unless the person has 5 attackers.
    Short passing in a stacked midfield
    Long passing if they have a stacked attack with no midfield, or want to go out to the wings.
    Counter when I'm defensive.
    Defensive against better opponents, or want to counter a strong attack.
    high pressing, all the time? my players have good condition mostly

Greek Forum Moderator nikolgiorgos's Avatar
    My question is, do we have any real data that changing formation is a bad thing?
    no there isn't .
    Actually many times used to change my formation twice a day without a problem.
    When playing vs 4-4-2 ND, I set 3DC +1DMC
    but if opponent playing with MR/AMR & ML/AML I use DR & DL.

I'd like to stay away from conspiracy theories, and concentrate on an honest discussion of tactics that go together well.
    A myth saying that some times, a specific formation has the favor of the game machine (or the opposite)
    http://forum.topeleven.com/formation...g-so-well.html
    but I think it's only a myth.
    I must add it in my Mythbusters thread if I didn't have it so far
    Andrew Nifield likes this.
    Καλώς ήρθατε στο Ελληνικό φόρουμ
    http://forum.topeleven.com/%CE%93%CE...%B4%CE%B1.html

Apprentice
    Quote Originally Posted by nikolgiorgos View Post
    no there isn't .
    Actually many times used to change my formation twice a day without a problem.
    When playing vs 4-4-2 ND, I set 3DC +1DMC
    but if opponent playing with MR/AMR & ML/AML I use DR & DL.

A myth saying that some times, a specific formation has the favor of the game machine (or the opposite)
    http://forum.topeleven.com/formation...g-so-well.html
    but I think it's only a myth.
    I must add it in my Mythbusters thread if I didn't have it so far
    It's probably that a lot started to use it, and so learnt to counter one formation or another.

Greek Forum Moderator nikolgiorgos's Avatar
    well, 4-5-1 V needs two very good AML-AMR and a back up too, but you can't have talented players every season.
    Abhinavsharma likes this.
    Καλώς ήρθατε στο Ελληνικό φόρουμ
    http://forum.topeleven.com/%CE%93%CE...%B4%CE%B1.html

Quote Originally Posted by Andrew Nifield View Post
    Hi all,

I've been using the same formation, pretty much since I started. I read in a few places that changing formation isn't good for you - and I there is a "favourite formation" info on people's profiles. So I have been just changing my tactics,depending on the opponent, and having great success.

I lost one game this season, in the cup, and it was one of the three I changed formation for, but it was in the first round of the cup against a slightly better opponent (I went back to my normal formation and won 0-3 in the second leg and went through 3-2 in the end).

Also, if people can post tactic sets they think go well together. I'd like to be a bit clearer which tactics go best together - like defensive with forcing counter attacks, and short passing in a stacked midfield, which passing style suits getting it out to the flanks (I assume long but the guy who won the CL today used short), etc.

I generally use a few sets, just to share my info even though I'm not an expert:

Always normal tackling.
    Man Marking unless the person has 5 attackers.
    Short passing in a stacked midfield
    Long passing if they have a stacked attack with no midfield, or want to go out to the wings.
    Counter when I'm defensive.
    Defensive against better opponents, or want to counter a strong attack.
    high pressing, all the time? my players have good condition mostly
    I don't think there is any data that proves change formation makes any bad or good for your team, for my own experience I do change formation almost every match but I always play with wide formations based on good wingers and strong middle but that's my team but I guarantee to you if learn to counter formations either through the middle, mixed or down the flanks you will have a success on the game.