Thread: Tanking: the way to go?

Tanking: the way to go?

Most of you know, I'm not playing for a long time, but it's like the title says:

Is tanking the way you have to go, if you want to win?

The higher I go, the higher the number auf tanking teams. And... they are mostly that teams, they are on Top3 of the League, mostly up to quaterfinals at Cup and Semifinals at CL.

Usually it's 3DC-2DML/R-2 or 3 MCs.

Today I faced an extrem version of this:
    3DC-3DML/C/R-3MC-1ST. He was slightly weaker (2%).
    I'm sure, he played on counter, so I started with 3DC-1DMC-3MC-2AMC-1ST, also defensive, counter, mixed passing. At halftime, it was 1:1, scored the goal from freekick. That was the only shot I had on target (3 shots overall), so I changed to 4-5-1flat, long balls. At the end I lost 1:2, conceeded both goals from counter. I also had only one shot on target (4 overall), he had 6 shots on goal (11 overall).

After that, I added him, checked his results this season. He plays every time 5-6 defenders, conceeded no goal (except me), had everytime more shots on target, and that also vs stronger teams (up to 20%). His results aren't that high (highest win was 4:0 vs ~60% weaker team), but he has no lose, no draw this season.
    He is also the only one on his FA, who made all possible points.

I always struggle with these defensive formations. Is there any logical way to beat these defensive playstyles? Or should I also change to this playstyle? I have a perfect striker, so I think, that won't be a problem. For me it's a bit annoying, that I'm able, to make right decisions on tactics/formations vs "normal" teams, if it's needed, but don't see any logical way, how those defensive playstyles work or counter it.
    Why can a team with 6 defenders and only one attacker have so many shots? If you play an offensive tactic, you always run into their counters.

and yes, I always check my opponents before the game. This guys player f.e. have mostly one position. Only his defenders have two positions (DL/DML or DL/DC or DC/DMC or DR/DMR).

Greek Forum Moderator nikolgiorgos's Avatar
    Why can a team with 6 defenders and only one attacker have so many shots? If you play an offensive tactic, you always run into their counters.
    because it's a game based on football, not a simulation - lol
    defense/counter can kills

* check this (only the photo) - winning 1-0 is a victory too
    http://forum.topeleven.com/%CE%A3%CF...%BC%CE%B1.html
    Καλώς ήρθατε στο Ελληνικό φόρουμ
    http://forum.topeleven.com/%CE%93%CE...%B4%CE%B1.html

Quote Originally Posted by nikolgiorgos View Post
    because it's a game based on football, not a simulation - lol
    defense/counter can kills
    Not can... they do. If the success-rate is around 90%, that's a bit...

Quote Originally Posted by nikolgiorgos View Post
    * check this (only the photo) - winning 1-0 is a victory too
    For sure.

At the moment, this game annoys me a lot. I will check this season. Maybe I'll leave, because I wanna play for fun, but if I face only tanking teams, where the whole quality of my team is useless, where a single striker is able to score vs. 4 Defenders (they were able to stop teams with 3 or 4 attacker)... and that's with a high winning chance, that's not funny. That's like the imbalance of some tanks in MMOs...

For Info: 10 games played, 8 games vs tanking teams (but 2 of them where inactive, because they lost all there games 7:0 or higher). Only two games were "normal" - but one of them was my wife in League...

(and it's not only me. my wife had worst start ever: 7 loses, 2 draws and one victory - she faced 6 times managed tanking teams)

At our FA-Draw, there are 8x tanking teams, 5x 4-5-1V and three 4-4-2 (one classic, two ND). All four FA (incl. us) are 3 times winner. We are the FA with the most scored goals and with the most conceeded goals.
    Last edited by nash123; 07-01-2016 at 10:28 PM.