Thread: 5-1-3N-1 Formation

5-1-3N-1 Formation

I'm matched up against a likely 5-1-3N-1 formation. I have some ideas on how to counter it, but I'd like some feedback.

I've been thinking of either a 3-2-2-2-1 Butterfly or a 3N-4-3, both played offensively and attacking from the wings.

How do you think these will fare against this team?

You don't want to use 1 striker against 5 defenders. 4-4-2 is my tactic against 5 defenders, I long ball it over the defence. Like on FIFA.

Yes, you're right . The Butterfly completely nullifies everything in that formation except the 5 defenders, which is the biggest problem. It plays around the formation nearly perfectly but doesn't put enough pressure on the defensive line.

Taking into account what you said about your tactic, I think I'm going to apply the same principle. But as my opponent's offense is concentrated on a single point, I can use a block of 3 cental defenders, which blocks the single attack vector of the formation, allowing me to place an extra striker to futher pressure the defensive line. And so we go back to the second of my original ideas, the 3N-4-3. With attacks done through the wings, a capable midfield that leaves everyone in my opponent's midfield accounted for, and 3 strikers to overload the defensive line, it seems like the perfect counter to this formation. I can also put red arrows on my center striker to place him deeper, and seeing as my opponent only has a single striker with no offensive midfield players on either the center or the wings to close the gap, going for the offside trap seems a logical choice.

I think I have it pretty much figured out.
    Last edited by CyberDagger; 05-09-2013 at 08:40 PM.