Thread: How to play in CL and Cup finals? Help pls! Wanna defeat token-buyer)

How to play in CL and Cup finals? Help pls! Wanna defeat token-buyer)

Hi top 11 community!

As this is my first post on here, i'd firstly like to express my appreciaton and give a shout out to everyone on this forum! I found a lot of information on here to be very helpful and effective.
    You really helped me understand and enjoy the game!! (and to win league and cup in my second season just after taking over at the end of season 1).

However, I am playing in League 3 atm and will be facing two strong opponents in both the CL and Cup finals.
    I have searched a lot online and checked their previous games -which was not helpful - thus, i would love you to share any (successful) experiences with me you had playing the following formations.

But first, some general info about my team:

My squad has an average strenght of almost 30 (which i think is pretty good for a level 3 player not buying tokens) and are unbeaten in the league.
    Above that, it is a very versatile squad and i can play pretty much any formation bringin up a great starting 11.
    Only two things: I only have one AMC and i cannot play with DML, DMR, AML, AMR all at the same time...

Here are the infos on my opponents:

In the CL-Final i will face a serious token-buyer who filled his entire squad with players of the 50-coin list. He has an average strenght of almost 38 and has not lost a game in CL.
    However, he never changes formations, so i expect him to play:

3w-4-1-2

DL--DC--DR
    ML-MC-MC-MR
    -- AMC --
    ST -- ST

I cannot find any good infos on how to beat this formation, neither in the guides nor the forum...
    I highly appreciate any help! (Geez, i'd love to beat that guy)

Second, i will face a team of about the same strenght as mine in the CUP final.
    This guy is changing his tactics a lot - but as he just bought a new AMC, i expect him to play the way he has ever since (just 3 games), plus he does not seem to miss any of his key players this way:

4-1-3n-1-1

DL-DC-DC-DR
    -- DMC--
    MC - MC - MC
    -- AMC --
    -- ST --

(he might as well play the midfield as ML-MC-MR... but this is less likely)

As far as i remember, i have not played either one of these.
    Thanks in advance for any help - best of luck in your upcoming matches.

Rookie
    for the first one id try a 4-2-1-3 with a long ball counterattacking game. your MC should be set to a red arrow so he is focused on attacking so that when you do get the log balls forward you can out number his defensive players.

DL - DC - DR
    ML MC-MC MR
    AMC
    ST - ST
    vs
    ST ST ST
    MC
    - DMC DMC -
    DR DC - DC DL

your defence and DMCs should take care of his attackers and you always have a good chance when you get the ball on the counter. please note that i am no expert and am only a level 3 player, but i dont buy tokens and am doing fairly well. Like you im in the cup final...im 2-0 up in the CL semi final and am sat 2nd in the league(but i have a bad run in and dont think i will finis top

Rookie
    for the 2nd id consider a 3-1-4-2 attacking down the flanks and defending through the centre as he has no width. the lone striker means you can get away with 3 at the back but play a DMC to baance his AMC. 2MCs(without arrows i think) and a RM/ML(with attacking arrows) set attacks to down the flanks and passing varied. again im only the same level as you but just thought id give an opinion

I'd go with Eagle for his 2nd post, but i'd go 4-1-4-1 , not 3 DC's because his attack is obviously better than yours. MCs should be blue arrowed with the DMC and the 2 DC's for a good defense, and it is all about your ML, MR and ST with red arrows.

Eagle's idea about 4-2-1-3 is nice. 3w is soo squishy, therefore, you can put some real pressure on his defense. I'd add Whole pitch pressing style (so you can capitalize on your 3 ST pressure). Keep in mind that with 4-2-1-3 there's a strong trade off between ball possession and counter attack. If he has very good midfielders you should enhance your mid more than just 2 MCs + 1 AMC.

Another idea is to go 3-1-4-1-1 or 3-1-4-2. Theoretically 3 DCs will be just fine + a DMC to mark his AMC and you don't give up tooo much ball possession yet, you still pose a great threat with 2STs or 1 AMC (red arrow) + 1 ST vs his 1 DC (in a wide back line I suppose that his fullbacks won't assist his DC very effectively). If so, I don't think long balls are necessary, you can go mixed.
    In any case, I would definitely go whole pitch pressure. He gives too much space at his pitch to leave it + you outnumber him at his pitch and you must capitalize on that. (since he's stronger, defensive mindset is just fine and in case you wonder, it doesn't contradict with whole pitch pressing).

For the second match I agree with 4-1-4-1, especially if you have good fullbacks to put red arrows and attack down both flanks. I believe you must try to outnumber him at flanks. Own half pressing, mixed passing maybe hard tacking (since it's a final, you don't care about some yellows)
    A football team is like a beautiful woman. When you do not tell her, she forgets she is beautiful

Quote Originally Posted by Master Tactician View Post
    Eagle's idea about 4-2-1-3 is nice. 3w is soo squishy, therefore, you can put some real pressure on his defense. I'd add Whole pitch pressing style (so you can capitalize on your 3 ST pressure). Keep in mind that with 4-2-1-3 there's a strong trade off between ball possession and counter attack. If he has very good midfielders you should enhance your mid more than just 2 MCs + 1 AMC.

Another idea is to go 3-1-4-1-1 or 3-1-4-2. Theoretically 3 DCs will be just fine + a DMC to mark his AMC and you don't give up tooo much ball possession yet, you still pose a great threat with 2STs or 1 AMC (red arrow) + 1 ST vs his 1 DC (in a wide back line I suppose that his fullbacks won't assist his DC very effectively). If so, I don't think long balls are necessary, you can go mixed.
    In any case, I would definitely go whole pitch pressure. He gives too much space at his pitch to leave it + you outnumber him at his pitch and you must capitalize on that. (since he's stronger, defensive mindset is just fine and in case you wonder, it doesn't contradict with whole pitch pressing).

For the second match I agree with 4-1-4-1, especially if you have good fullbacks to put red arrows and attack down both flanks. I believe you must try to outnumber him at flanks. Own half pressing, mixed passing maybe hard tacking (since it's a final, you don't care about some yellows)

Alright guys - thanks for all the suggestions, hints and infos!!

Here is my (rather late) reply to hook you up with the results - and the intention to help other people who will face a similar challange, of course.

In the CL-final, i made a minor change to your suggestions and went for a 3n-1-3w-1-2
    As Master Tactician said, if anything i wanted to try n exploit his wide defense, as well as the fact that he's playing without a DMC. This left him some room in the midfield, but as my DMC had a red arrow, it seemed like my players were able to balance his majority...
    Having said this, you might already guess that this one went pretty good for me: My team won 4:0 with him not having a slight chance: I had more ball posession, more shots on target, more passes found their receivers...

More than that, i feel that the choosen tactics were the key to success: Defensive mentality, whole pitch pressure, attacking through the middle, mixed passing, no OT, no Counter.
    @Master Tactician: Again, thx a bunch for the hint, mate. I would indeed never have used defensive mentality and whole pitch pressure, but it apparently worked like gangbusters

The other final - the CUP - i unfortunately lost 1:2...
    Here's how it went: I chose to play 4-1-4-1 with red arrows on the wingers, own half pressure, attacking through the flanks, normal mentality...
    First thing i got to read after kick-off was something like "XY tries it from the distance - BOOM", goal in t second minute...

Apart from switching to offensive mentality instantly, and to whole pitch pressure at around minute 30, i decided to not change formations in the first half...
    After he scored the two-nil lead right before half-time, however, i switched to 3-5-2 V-Style... the game went on, the statistics didnt seem to change much, and my team managed to at least score one goal right before the final whistle...

Dunno if it really was about the tactics or just bad luck with the game engine though... again, i had more posession etc. ...

Anyways - going again for the treble this season.
    Good luck, Best

tl;dr

Against 3w-4-1-2 (note that the opponent was like 8 points stronger than me):
    3n-1-3w-1-2 worked fine!!
    Defensive mentality, whole pitch pressure, mixed passing, through the middle - afair i put blue arrows on two of my DCs...
    Won 4-0

Against 4-1-3n-1-1 (opponent was about the same strenght):
    4-1-4-1 (first half) didnt do too well - I was down 0:2 at half-time.
    However: i started off with normal mentality, own half pressure, mixed passing, through the wings, red arrows on the wingers...
    3-5-2 V (second half) went better - My team managed to score at least one goal, whilst his didn't score another one.
    I set the tactics to offensive mentality, whole pitch pressure, long passing, wings (of course), and removed the arrows from the wingers that were then playing as AML/AMR.
    Lost 1-2
    Last edited by LlamaGoneBonkers; 05-10-2013 at 03:32 AM.