Thread: Counter Advice for 3N-2(DMC)-3W(ML-MC-MR)-2

Counter Advice for 3N-2(DMC)-3W(ML-MC-MR)-2

Going to be facing an equal strength opponent who is playing the following formation:

-------ST----ST-------
    --ML----MC----MR--
    -----DMC-DMC-----
    -----DC-DC-DC-----

I am thinking going with the 3-2-2-2-1 butterfly. My wingers should have good looks against no wingbacks, and I have two defensive wingbacks to cover his ML/MR. Have more in the midfield to control, and his DMCs are kinda wasted.

Any thoughts? Other options? I have a pretty flexible lineup and can generally adjust to new lineups pretty easily. Definitely prefer to attack down the flanks, but that is just personal preference.

Thanks in advance!

Pro
    That’s generally fine with your choice.

For me, choice of my counter formation against the suggested opposition has a few influencing factors:
    1) if opposition STs are equal, better or weaker than our DCs
    2) if we have 1 or 2 very good wingers

If opponent ST is a significant threat, then I would go for 4-4-1W-1, as the image below.
    Counter Advice for 3N-2(DMC)-3W(ML-MC-MR)-2-4-d1-f2-fdd-fce6-4-aa1-92-c9-3-db81-de7-e223.png

It may be better to go with 4FN (with all defenders as a flat back-4 and all squeezed central, so to suffocate all space of the 2 STs), win the midfield with 4v3 and rely on a very good winger to take chances with ST occupying the closest DC at winger region.

If opponent ST is just average and you have 2 excellent wingers, then I would go for 3N-4-2W-1. Similar concept, but has extra attacking threat from another flank too, at the expense of defence when it may be just enough with 3v2.

All attacks should be on 1 flank or both flanks avoiding the middle when opponent has 2 DMCs.

Best of luck with your match!
    Winning is a form of art. Consistently winning is a show-hand of skills and luck.

Thanks HeavansAAA! My opponent added several ringers, including an 8+ star striker. As such, I switched to the formation you suggested, content to play defensive and look for counters.

Four minutes in, my best player and star striker took a knock and had to be replaced. Despite that, I scored a counter goal, one off a corner, and one from a free kick to secure 3 points in my league opener, 3-1.

Appreciate the advice, thanks again!

Pro
    Pleased with your win there, especially without your star player for most of the match! And you’re welcome!
    Winning is a form of art. Consistently winning is a show-hand of skills and luck.