Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree8Likes

Thread: New player struggling. Would love some guidance.

New player struggling. Would love some guidance.

So I started this game with a mate for a laugh. I didn't expect much from it in all honesty and thought after my first game it was just done mathematically on who had more skill in their players across the park to get the win. I'm delighted that after my 3 game I have found it to be much more detailed in the use of formations and tactics, training etc.

So I'm in my first league (currently 2nd) and still in the Cup (R16), manager level 1. As I stated before I didn't realise how in depth the game was compared to my expectations so I bought 2 identical teams to rotate in 4321 (mostly 4* some 3*). My money is depleted for now lol. Obviously I've now realised I'm limited to my formations that I can create to counter upcoming opponents. So I want to make 'plan' on what positions to buy instead and sell my unneeded players.

Currently:
    GK 3*
    GK 3*
    DL 3*
    DL/DC 4*
    DC 4*
    DC 4*
    DC 4*
    DC/DMC 3*
    DC/DR 3*
    DC/DR 4*
    MC 3*
    MC 3*
    MC 3*
    MC 3*
    MC 4*
    MC 4*
    AMR/MR 4*
    AML/ML 4*
    AMR/AMC 4*
    AML/AMC 4*
    ST 4*
    ST 4*

Thinking about trading my way to this:
    GK
    GK
    DC/DR
    DC/DR
    DC/DR
    DC/DL
    DC/DL
    DC/DL
    DC
    DC
    DML/ML
    DMR/MR
    DMC/MC
    DMC/MC
    MC/AMC
    MC/AMC
    AML/ML
    AMLR/MR
    MC
    ST
    ST
    ST

Could I get some opinions as I'm rather confused over this point as I understand there are possession penalties for out of position players.

Many thanks in advance.

There's plenty of guides you can read on here, have a look at the stickies on the Tutorials thread.

But if you'd like some advice from me, I'd say that rather than concentrating on one formation, and buying players to fulfil that formation only, it might help to buy players with multiple roles, and add some depth so you can play different formations.

So you're going to want 2 GKs and at least 4 DCs, 4 DR/DLS (it's best to buy multirole defenders like DC/DR)

A couple of DMCs (Again, DMC/DC or DMC/MC works well, if you don't usually play DMC, therefore you're not buying players you'll rarely use)

4/5 MCs, and I'd say 2 MR/AMR, ML/AMLs each.

Get a couple of AMCs too (again, multirole works well, eg. AMC/AMR), and at least 3 STs.

In other words, you want a squad that can play all positions, so you can play a wide variety of formations.

Just a note on the 3* players you're buying - they'll go down to 2* when you get promoted, and I'm guessing you're wanting a bare minimum of 3* players in your squad, so it'd be wise to invest in 4* players now.

You can actually pick up some really good 5* players at the end of the season, when the transfer market calms down.

Bit long winded, but like I said the in depth guides written by some other forum users will help you much more than I can.

http://forum.topeleven.com/tutorials...ven-guide.html

http://forum.topeleven.com/tutorials...-part-1-a.html

The second link is a good team builder tutorial.
    Last edited by Sxrenity; 07-13-2013 at 01:44 AM.
    Cat Harrison and herdo like this.
    Liverpool FC - Team Showcase

"You'll Never Walk Alone."

#JFT96

I don't claim to be a Top Eleven expert but, if anyone would like advice, please don't hesitate to contact me through 'private messaging', I try to reply as soon as possible.

I've read through a few guides. Mostly where I started to learn this game was a little more advanced than first perceived. But I'll take a look at the ones I haven't looked through, so thanks for that suggestion.

Appreciate the feedback too. I'm not too confused on tactics or anything, more to do with the amount of players in certain positions/mixes to successfully cover most positions and formations while being able to cover for tiredness/injuries etc. You're suggestions look pretty solid so thanks for that.

The 3* players aren't bought, just what I've restrained myself from replacing as I got cold feet about just buying for two rotation squads in the same formation. I did buy all the 4*'s though except from the ST's as they developed after a few games.

Tah for the tip about the cheap 5* towards the end of the season.

Quote Originally Posted by Stigy View Post
    I've read through a few guides. Mostly where I started to learn this game was a little more advanced than first perceived. But I'll take a look at the ones I haven't looked through, so thanks for that suggestion.

Appreciate the feedback too. I'm not too confused on tactics or anything, more to do with the amount of players in certain positions/mixes to successfully cover most positions and formations while being able to cover for tiredness/injuries etc. You're suggestions look pretty solid so thanks for that.

The 3* players aren't bought, just what I've restrained myself from replacing as I got cold feet about just buying for two rotation squads in the same formation. I did buy all the 4*'s though except from the ST's as they developed after a few games.

Tah for the tip about the cheap 5* towards the end of the season.
    The way to think about it, is that for each position, you want a substitute player, and a reserve player, but multirole players can kill 2 birds with one stone.

Yeah you'd be surprised with some of the bargains you can pick up, You can get 5*, close to 6* players towards the end of the season, and late at night for between 1 and 5 tokens.

But the game all comes down to how many tokens you have, ie. whether you're buying tokens, farming them, or just playing on a 35T a season budget.

Ie/ my squad depth isn't too great, as you can see on my team showcase, but I have enough tokens to heal players with red packs in emergencies, hence why I only have 1GK, he's usually only going to get injured once a season.

But for non token buyers, a large squad is crucial, as you will have to resort to playing subs and reserves, whereas I can usually field the same squad.
    Cat Harrison likes this.

#JFT96

I don't claim to be a Top Eleven expert but, if anyone would like advice, please don't hesitate to contact me through 'private messaging', I try to reply as soon as possible.

I'll probably be the opposite to you then I guess. I've just finished Uni so can't exactly afford to spend a little here and there for tokens whilst trying to land a new motor

I think after my games tomorrow I'll sell up most of my duplicate-roled players that are of worse quality and begin to put together a range of player positions etc as you suggested. I think I have enough tokens to pick up the remaining 4 star players and have 2-5 left over for a potential 1 or 2 bargains at the end of the season.

Cheers for the help. I think I'll visit here often, this place looks pretty useful and the first person to reply to me has been incredibly helpful and straight to the point.

Quote Originally Posted by Stigy View Post
    I'll probably be the opposite to you then I guess. I've just finished Uni so can't exactly afford to spend a little here and there for tokens whilst trying to land a new motor

I think after my games tomorrow I'll sell up most of my duplicate-roled players that are of worse quality and begin to put together a range of player positions etc as you suggested. I think I have enough tokens to pick up the remaining 4 star players and have 2-5 left over for a potential 1 or 2 bargains at the end of the season.

Cheers for the help. I think I'll visit here often, this place looks pretty useful and the first person to reply to me has been incredibly helpful and straight to the point.
    Well even if you're not willing to spend money, you can farm hundreds of tokens by watching videos, doing surveys, downloading apps. Etc.

Also if you have an iPhone, or play on IOS, then Tapjoy provides a massive source of income, you'd potentially be able to field a squad of scouts, but again, there's a guide written on token farming by a user named Confuzzled.

Anyway, good look with the team building, new users on the forum are always welcome

#JFT96

Sorry fell asleep
    Rowland Is the Fat conTROLLer

Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by Phil Scrivener View Post
    Sorry fell asleep
    Seriously whats the actual point of you?

I recommend you to only have one GK, if that one GK is injured you can use a DC for that time.

Quote Originally Posted by herdo View Post
    Seriously whats the actual point of you?
    and your point Is ??????
    Rowland Is the Fat conTROLLer

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast