Thread: What is Tanking and Why?

What is Tanking and Why?

I've heard a few people talk about tanking for next season due to an update or something? dont know if i got that right with the update.

Can someone explain to me what tanking is and why you would do this, thanks.

Tanking basically means playing in such a way that your team will not be promoting in the next season (i.e. 8th or below). The pros & cons are mentioned in the below thread.
    http://forum.topeleven.com/top-eleve...intenence.html
    League Winner (5): 1, 3, 5, 7, 8, 9
    League Runner-up: 6
    CL Winner (5): 3, 4, 5, 6, 8, 9
    CL Runner-up: 7
    Cup Winner (3): 1, 2, 6
    Cup Runner-up: 3
    Double Winner: 1, 3, 5, 6, 8, 9

For what reason would you do this though? I Don't understand why you wouldn't want to be promoted?

Quote Originally Posted by dwayne20 View Post
    For what reason would you do this though? I Don't understand why you wouldn't want to be promoted?
    They can strengthen their team in the level they want to stay in, they have like two months to prepare for the next level, basically a team that has finished tanking the season is usually stronger than teams that don't tank, however I don't recommend tanking.

Let me make it more simple, a team might not want to get promoted to have an additional season to prepare for the level.
    Wolf FC

Just to add on zJordan's comments, tanking means more quality, tokens, moneys & packs. So a tanking team will have an edge advantage in the next season after tanking. The cons are no promotion & no CL in the next season.

Quote Originally Posted by werewolf122 View Post
    Just to add on zJordan's comments, tanking means more quality, tokens, moneys & packs. So a tanking team will have an edge advantage in the next season after tanking. The cons are no promotion & no CL in the next season.
    Thank you. Yes i don't see the point in this either but people got to do what they think feels right, this wouldnt be an option for me as i want to try promote every season.

You're welcome. Some ppl will tank if they have a slim chance wining the league or in the top 4. It's all about individual objective & preference.

Personally my goal is to play at the highest level possible, so promotion is going to be the aim for me every season.

So far I've won promotion (and will be as of tomorrow) to level 6 each year as Champion. Due to doing a lot (and I mean a hell of a lot) of the free Token offers I have a tad over 2000T sat in my account, with a team that is 7*/6* at the moment (my entire team is almost all Scout bought). I've got a 73K stadium built and everything built up to that level that will allow me to date too.

Due to being able to get a lot of Tokens through offers I've been able to "waste" a lot on scout players, but I now intend to stop using Tokens on scouts for a few seasons, until the current bunch are struggling to get me promotion, in which time I will re scout the entire team. If someone comes along with a team too strong for me and look to take the league I won't invest in the team to try beat them to first - as long as I know I can finish in a promotion spot - and preferably a champions league one.

Personally I can't see much benefit in trying to tank a season, especially as I find it so easy to win Tokens via the offers. I must "earn" 50/100T from surveys, watching videos, and downloading apps (on to an old defunct laptop that is on its way out, so if it downloads me some crap at the same time it doesn't matter)