Like Tree2Likes
  • 2 Post By cracicot

Thread: First Defeat Of The Season

Dreamer

First Defeat Of The Season

Yep, it had to happen... I'm only just a bit disappointed though, as my opponent had a better team, and I simply don't know what else I could have done to better things for me. Some screens :

First Defeat Of The Season-11111111111111111111111111111.jpgFirst Defeat Of The Season-22222222222222222222.jpg

I know there's this theory going on that 4-3-3 is a good counter to 4-5-1V, but I really don't like 4-3-3 : ( (mainly because I only have 2 STs, and I find using a third one on the pitch quite useless), so I simply went for my favorite formation 4-5-1, as it's also the one that suits the most my players, quality-wise.

I dominated the entire first half, with more shots, corners, possession. Then in the second half, he made 2 subs, replacing better players with worse ones... but guess what? He still managed to score couple minutes later... Don't ask me why, : )
    (And yes, my players were very high on condition)
    Then without changing anything to his formation, he somehow started dominating, with more possession, more shots, etc...

In the end, I went all in (by switching to Hard Attacking, then pushing my two ML/MR onto the AML/AMR position, and the central MC onto the AMC one, with a quick sub, ofc). I started seeing a bit more shots, but I guess it was already too late to hope for a miracle goal at this point.

I'll try a more offensive approach on the second match. Feel free to let me know what you'd do if you were in my shoes right now,

Thanks for reading.
    Last edited by kebess; 10-13-2013 at 01:39 PM.
    Favorite Formations : 4-1-4-1 // 4-5-1 (F/V) // 4-4-1-1 // 4-4-2

Some thoughts on them :
    http://forum.topeleven.com/formation...-thoughts.html

Banned
    3-2-2-2-1 butterfly is good vs 4-5-1V.

Overall, you didnt dominate the game, first half or not. He played a more offensive game with that formation.

The problem I see is no DMC position, doesnt matter where. You had no answer for his AML/AMR, especially an 8* AMR. You gotta counter that if you can or he runs free and feeds your ST with the goal.

What more can I say? You have fairly equal teams, both playing 4-5-1 type formations and its a close game. You could have had that extra midfielder in the butterfly and that might have given you more possession and ultimately a few more chances.

For me, its about midfield possession. Most games are won by winning the midfield(in real life). With the Troll Engine in full motion, you cant count on anything really, but certain formations work most of the time versus particular formations, and in this case I would have tried the 3-6-1- butterfly, especially with the DML/DMR to counter his AMR/AML. That is the only thing I can think of.
    kebess and Saransh Vatsa like this.

Dreamer
    Thanks Cracicot. Yep, I thought about that empty DM position, but I preferred using a blue arrow on my middle MC instead.

Especially, since he wasn't getting any occasions in the first half. But, isn't a DL and DR usually enough to counter an AML, AMR, when your opponent only has 1 ST to bother your lower defense ? (I know we are getting very close to the fantasy land here, but still, : )

I went on that really, that's why I preferred a flat 5 midfield, rather than a 1-4. I'll most certainly try a 3-6-1 at some point on the next match - it sure can't hurt.

Thanks again.

Some thoughts on them :

Quote Originally Posted by kebess View Post
    Yep, it had to happen... I'm only just a bit disappointed though, as my opponent had a better team, and I simply don't know what else I could have done to better things for me. Some screens :

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	11111111111111111111111111111.jpg 
Views:	35 
Size:	91.0 KB 
ID:	13690Click image for larger version. 

Name:	22222222222222222222.jpg 
Views:	49 
Size:	96.1 KB 
ID:	13691

I know there's this theory going on that 4-3-3 is a good counter to 4-5-1V, but I really don't like 4-3-3 : ( (mainly because I only have 2 STs, and I find using a third one on the pitch quite useless), so I simply went for my favorite formation 4-5-1, as it's also the one that suits the most my players, quality-wise.

I dominated the entire first half, with more shots, corners, possession. Then in the second half, he made 2 subs, replacing better players with worse ones... but guess what? He still managed to score couple minutes later... Don't ask me why, : )
    (And yes, my players were very high on condition)
    Then without changing anything to his formation, he somehow started dominating, with more possession, more shots, etc...

In the end, I went all in (by switching to Hard Attacking, then pushing my two ML/MR onto the AML/AMR position, and the central MC onto the AMC one, with a quick sub, ofc). I started seeing a bit more shots, but I guess it was already too late to hope for a miracle goal at this point.

I'll try a more offensive approach on the second match. Feel free to let me know what you'd do if you were in my shoes right now,

Thanks for reading.
    4-3n-2-1 is good too against 4-5-1 v style

FCB
    Quote Originally Posted by Wiesse View Post
    I agree with wiesse ... 4-3n-2-1 is too good and never lost match
    FCB - Indian Team

Playing form 2013

Dreamer
    I did see a bit more shot attempts when I switched some midfielders onto the AM positions, so you might be right. I'll certainly try both this and the butterfly.

Thanks for your response!

Some thoughts on them :

Quote Originally Posted by Wiesse View Post
    I too agree. I used to play 4-3n-2-1 as my main formation 2 seasons ago and there were many in my league using 4-5-1 V style. I was slightly higher than all of them except one who was slightly higher!!! I won the league and never lost to any 4-5-1 V formation teams.