Thread: Contract Extensions.

Contract Extensions.

I have 10 players in my squad with 2 years left on their contract. Every single one of them is asking to at least double or in some cases treble their current wage plus a one off payment of around 200,000. I am wondering if I should extend their contract now or leave it until the last week before their contract expires. My concern is if I were to leave it to the end their demand might increase even more. All 10 players performed well for me all last season and so far this season, so I would like to keep them all. Any advice please?

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by sayan1@btinternet.com View Post
    I have 10 players in my squad with 2 years left on their contract. Every single one of them is asking to at least double or in some cases treble their current wage plus a one off payment of around 200,000. I am wondering if I should extend their contract now or leave it until the last week before their contract expires. My concern is if I were to leave it to the end their demand might increase even more. All 10 players performed well for me all last season and so far this season, so I would like to keep them all. Any advice please?
    as you add skill their worth goes up. As their worth goes up, they ask for more salary when you renew. If you wait until the first day of the season to renew their contracts, their worth will decrease up to 15%, therefore allowing you to save some $$$$$.

Also if you wait until after you renew their contracts to assign the skill points, then this will also save you $$$$$. Not only that but in theory, you should also get a better cup draw if you wait to assign skill points.

Quote Originally Posted by sayan1@btinternet.com View Post
    If they have 2 years left on their contract, there is no reason to even consider extending their contract. Considering contract extension is something you do in the last year of their contract.
    Even then, it is not likely that you will want to keep these players after this and next season, considering they probably can't keep up with the quality from the players you'll find on the transfer market.

As a rule of thumb, even if you still want to keep them after next season, you're going to want their contract to expire. When the season starts after the last year of their contract, you have 7 days to re-sign them. Their value will have gone down because they have gotten a year older, so the signing cost and possibly salary will have become lower. Renewing always costs 10% of the value of the player.

Cheers! cracicot that was very helpful.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Killerbee View Post
    If they have 2 years left on their contract, there is no reason to even consider extending their contract. Considering contract extension is something you do in the last year of their contract.
    Even then, it is not likely that you will want to keep these players after this and next season, considering they probably can't keep up with the quality from the players you'll find on the transfer market.

As a rule of thumb, even if you still want to keep them after next season, you're going to want their contract to expire. When the season starts after the last year of their contract, you have 7 days to re-sign them. Their value will have gone down because they have gotten a year older, so the signing cost and possibly salary will have become lower. Renewing always costs 10% of the value of the player.
    what killerbee says is worth noting as well: dont renew their contracts until they expire.