Like Tree2Likes
  • 2 Post By Sully

Thread: Champions League Tie-breaker:

Famous

Champions League Tie-breaker:

My current groups standings:

1. Kavakspor 4 - 0 - 1 12 pts 15 5
    2. Me ......... 4 - 0 - 1 12 pts 14 5

Both our teams have split the head to head, me winning 2:1 at his place and him winning 3:0 at mine. If we both finish on 15 points (most likely outcome) and I have the better goal differential, who wins the group? Would I win on goal differential? Or would he win the group due to head to head?

He plays 3rd tomorrow, I play 4th. My game is late, 4.5 hours after my league. Just wondering, if there will be anything to play for, if he wins his match!

Thanks,
    Last edited by pcmacdaniel; 05-14-2015 at 04:21 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by pcmacdaniel View Post
    My current groups standings:

1. Kavakspor 4 - 0 - 1 12 pts 15 5
    2. Me ......... 4 - 0 - 1 12 pts 14 5

Both our teams have split the head to head, me winning 2:1 at his place and him winning 3:0 at mine. If we both finish on 15 points (most likely outcome) and I have the better goal differential, who wins the group? Would I win on goal differential? Or would he win the group due to head to head?

He plays 3rd tomorrow, I play 4th. My game is late, 4.5 hours after my league. Just wondering, if there will be anything to play for, if he wins his match!

Thanks,

1. higher number of points obtained in the group matches played among the teams in question;
    2. superior goal difference from the group matches played among the teams in question;
    3. higher number of goals scored in the group matches played among the teams in question;
    4. higher number of goals scored away from home in the group matches played among the teams in question;
    5. If, after applying criteria 1 to 4 to several teams, two or more teams still have an equal ranking, criteria 1 to 4 are reapplied exclusively to the matches between the teams in question to determine their final rankings. If this procedure does not lead to a decision, criteria 6 to 8 apply;
    6. superior goal difference from all group matches played;
    7. higher number of goals scored from all group matches played;
    8. higher number of coefficient points accumulated by the club in question, as well as its association, over the previous five seasons.

Based on that, he will win in any tie because of rule #2. in games between you two, he has GD of +2, and you have GD of -2.
    Last edited by Sully; 05-14-2015 at 04:36 PM.
    pcmacdaniel and Cat Harrison like this.