Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: Question about possession

Question about possession

Hi everyone,

I don't understand why I have constantly high possession (over 60-65%), but low score chance? What orders I have to use in this case? I use different formations but without success.

I am 30 level. I have experience (League Titles - 26, Cup Winners - 7, Champions League Winners - 10, Trebles - 2), so I expect answers about general tactic (orders, arrows) , not about win bonus, moral, condition, different positions for players and other stuff.

Thank you in advance

Possession is really not connected much with scoring. As stupid as that is it appears to be true. I am constantly annoyed at getting 70-80% possession and the opp has almost the same # of shots and on targets. The only thing that seems to separate my quality beyond possession is that my shots on target go in a whole lot more often than my opps.

I have found that only hard attacking really works, as well as been told as much by more experienced players.

How has your players form been recently? I look just as much at form trends than anything. If you have attacking players who have been out of form for long stretches you may need to bench them a while or replace them permanently.

One thing I do when I am not getting enough scoring chances but have the better team is switch to force counter attacking during the match to boost my chances. It does pay off in those cases most times.

Dreamer
    I am finding more and more evidence that possession is just window dressing. I wouldn't be surprised if it had no effect at all.

VIP
    Try changing passing style, CA or no CA, mentality and focus during games... and observe effects of that changes... My experience tells me that, if both teams play CA, there are much more chances created on both sides... I usually make tactical changes, if my team has less or equal number of chances than opposition... Football logic says that, if you have high possession, you should play short passes patiently, without forcing counter attacks and with full pitch pressure to regain ball when lost... But this is Top 11, different, sometimes odd logic...

Quote Originally Posted by David Grizzle View Post
    Possession is really not connected much with scoring. As stupid as that is it appears to be true. I am constantly annoyed at getting 70-80% possession and the opp has almost the same # of shots and on targets. The only thing that seems to separate my quality beyond possession is that my shots on target go in a whole lot more often than my opps.

I have found that only hard attacking really works, as well as been told as much by more experienced players.

How has your players form been recently? I look just as much at form trends than anything. If you have attacking players who have been out of form for long stretches you may need to bench them a while or replace them permanently.

One thing I do when I am not getting enough scoring chances but have the better team is switch to force counter attacking during the match to boost my chances. It does pay off in those cases most times.
    I noticed that every single player play good for 4-5 seasons and after that his rating drop down, no matter if he is scout, nordgen or from youth academy. In this moment I have only one MC who plays badly (before this season his rating was 7-8, now is 5-6).

I will try with hard attacking mentality in next game. Do you use arrows or offside trap in this mode?

Quote Originally Posted by Steppenwolf View Post
    Try changing passing style, CA or no CA, mentality and focus during games... and observe effects of that changes... My experience tells me that, if both teams play CA, there are much more chances created on both sides... I usually make tactical changes, if my team has less or equal number of chances than opposition... Football logic says that, if you have high possession, you should play short passes patiently, without forcing counter attacks and with full pitch pressure to regain ball when lost... But this is Top 11, different, sometimes odd logic...
    Until now I played with attacking or normal mentality, pressing own half. Depending on the formation I used different passing style and focus, but I never used CA...

I'll try. Thank you for suggestion.

VIP
    Players' quality and form also affect number of chances, opponent's defenders especially... You may get high possession 'cause they are 2-3 stars players, but if they are in good form, they will intercept many passes near the box and will not let your players shoot... I just had a game with opponent creating much more chances than my team in the first half... We had one shot on target in the first half, losing 0-2... At half time, I changed formation, mentality from def to att, focus from middle to mixed, passes from long to short, turned on CA and won the game 4-2... 4 goals from 5 shots on target in the 2nd half...

Greek Forum Moderator nikolgiorgos's Avatar
    I always playing 4-5-1 or 3-5-2 (if oppo has no wingers).
    Defense/counters/flanks, even if most of my oppo have weaker q teams.
    Although I play defense, I score a lot so the game says that I play hard attack

Question about possession-hard-att.jpg
    Καλώς ήρθατε στο Ελληνικό φόρουμ
    http://forum.topeleven.com/%CE%93%CE...%B4%CE%B1.html

In my experience, possession is worthless.

I mean, how can you have +15% possession every game and still be around 50% possession, all the while having a much better team overall that would normally dominate possession? Did that come out right? Most of the games comments are geared towards your team yet the other team has a few more corners and shots on net, yet you have 51% possession and a full team of spectators cheering your team on for +15%.

I am saying what someone else said: possession number is window dressing. I have yet to see anyone from Nordeus explain how possession works exactly.

Possession is meaningless on its own. Its supposed to indicate how much you have the ball but it can't say anything about what you do with it. Tbh I can't figure out how this possession bonus would work - if its simply added then it is window dressing. Possession should be an outcome not a base factor. Possession would be more meaningful if we also had Territory.

Ofc if a bonus was aactually a performance factor boost (designed in part to increase possession) then it would make sense.

You can get higher possession playing Defensive or Normal or Attacking - just depends on whats facing you too. You can easily increase possession, sometimes, by Whole Pitch Pressing but sometimes that means giving away chances if you get caught with fast breaks so it can be counterproductive.

As far as goal scoring chances go it depends how you count them because goal scoring chances are actually not an easy one to figure out. Shots are just that, they are counted whether threatening or not. Shots on target are not reliable either. If a Shot is directed at goal (ie seemingly 'on target') but is stopped by a player who is not the GK or last defender then its not counted as a Shot on Target stats-wise. So how an opponents defence is set up can markedly affect your Shots on Target.

Personally, I find, when it works as I intend it to, playing defensive with counterattacking can produce a high number of shots on target for the number of total shots where attacking wouldn't (packed defence). But other occasions attacking produces better results. Suck it and see - its not a straight choice between one mentality and the other because your opponent has the same choice.

I can't suggest a way to get more shots because my team stinks this Season >.< but if you find your players more space they'll shoot more.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast