Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree15Likes

Thread: Old Players? Opinions Wanted/Poll

Old Players? Opinions Wanted/Poll

Two players (they are both AML/AMC/AMR) on my team will be 29 years old at the end of this season. Typically, when members of my squad turn 27-28 I usually sell them, however I have had these two players for 6 seasons (both were 6 stars until this season started, only one is now). Their overall performances during live matches is nowhere near past seasons, but I've managed to use them well.

My question is: When do other managers sell older players? How old is too old to play well?

Just curious as to what other managers do. Thank you😊

Greek Forum Moderator nikolgiorgos's Avatar
    Age doesn't matter for me.
    It's only the stars. A player of 4* still can contribute to the team.
    But only if you have 1-2 of them, not more.
    Καλώς ήρθατε στο Ελληνικό φόρουμ
    http://forum.topeleven.com/%CE%93%CE...%B4%CE%B1.html

Apprentice
    If the transfer market has teenaged five-star players, I always replace the oldest player of that position.
    As the stats grow much more slowly when a player reaches 22 years old, I would keep all my players 21 or under if the market is flooded with Nordgens.

Now, of course, I have not seen any five-star Nordgens since they made some changes in April this year. As a result, there are quite a few old players (22-26) on my squad now. The only way I can replace them now is to take over players that higher level teams sell on the market, which means they are over 22 years old, which sucks.
    Jasobuh5 likes this.
    Season 71, Level 61

Makes sense. I usually only keep 2-3 4 star players on my team and power train them anyways.

I've been playing both of my older players in league games with good results. They have both improved to 6 stars without much effort from myself.

Quote Originally Posted by Perry Sih View Post
    If the transfer market has teenaged five-star players, I always replace the oldest player of that position.
    As the stats grow much more slowly when a player reaches 22 years old, I would keep all my players 21 or under if the market is flooded with Nordgens.

Now, of course, I have not seen any five-star Nordgens since they made some changes in April this year. As a result, there are quite a few old players (22-26) on my squad now. The only way I can replace them now is to take over players that higher level teams sell on the market, which means they are over 22 years old, which sucks.
    I agree, it does suck. I haven't had much luck with auctions and negotiations, either. I don't mind spending money to buy 2 or 3 quality players off the Transfers list, however having to do that the beginning of each season now is quite annoying.

I've had success with improving my current players between 22-26 by power training suprisingly. I honestly didn't expect this to work. Of course this is also expensive and time-consuming.

Famous
    I would say there in no such thing as too old to play well. If I have a hole on my roster and need a one or two season solution, I'm more than happy to go after a 31 year old since it lowers the risk of getting into a bidding war.

I've never really paid attention to age when selling players. If they've played well for me, I tend to let them stay until they retire.
    Jasobuh5 and LeManiaque like this.
    Level 40 Manager

Famous
    Assume old players are not newly generated. Old Players have reasons to be able to play so many years.
    Jasobuh5 likes this.

Famous
    A very famous french singer wrote something like: "time does not change a thing to it: when you're an idiot, you're an idiot". And the other way round ! So only quality matters, not the age.
    Jasobuh5 and LeManiaque like this.
    Club: FC Lomagne

Level: 33

Current Season (44): League (ON STRIKE), CL (N/A), Cup (In - Quarter-Finals)

Previous Season: League (11th), CL (Final), Cup (Last 16)

Haha fair enough. I haven't kept players long enough to see how well they play once they're "old."

As for seeing auction players aged 29+, I assumed some were randomly created to fill space on transfers lists.
    chuks likes this.

Famous
    Quote Originally Posted by Jasobuh5 View Post
    Haha fair enough. I haven't kept players long enough to see how well they play once they're "old."

As for seeing auction players aged 29+, I assumed some were randomly created to fill space on transfers lists.
    Your assumption about some older players being randomly generated is correct. I can't recall the max age for randomly generated players by nordeus, but I know I've seen a few at age 29.
    Last edited by pcmacdaniel; 10-03-2016 at 09:57 PM.
    Jasobuh5 likes this.
    Level 40 Manager

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast