Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Defensive Mentality?

Defensive Mentality?

Guys, what do you think of defensive mentality? I'm considering to use it to today in a very importand away match for the Champions League but I'm not sure if it is the best option... What are the pros and cons? Do I make less chances to score and the opponent more? Do my players just stand there and clear all the balls coming towards my goal or do they score too..? I noticed that some of my friends who use defensive mentality score a lot of goals but it also depends on the opponent too I suppose.. Finally, what do you recommend me, defensive or normal mentality? Hope I wasn't tiring...

i'm no expert, but its obvious u will create less chances, but that doesnt mean u wont score. I used a very defensive formation in my first 5 or 6 season and won the league about 4 times and 2nd and 3rd in the other 2. I never got on with normal mentality, i seem to lose more whenever i tried that. but like u said, It really depends on squad strength and opponents tactics. Personally i would stick with whatever formation and tactics u are currently using, see how the first leg goes and decide from there.

Super Moderator PricopGeorgeCătălin's Avatar
    I always used attacking or hard attacking, I don't see the benefits of defensie mentality.
    Orlova FC - onForum - LIKE Orlova FC - onYoutube - SUBSCRIBE Orlova FC - onFacebook

defensive versus great team and normal versus little team

Hmm.. seems I'll start with defensive and depending on the circumstances I'll change it on normal in the halftime or if I notice that something is going wrong..

In my opinion, Defense is the best offense! Since I started to play with defensive mentality + counterattacks my team started to play better, scored more goals and their ratings went up... Also my striker has been rewarded as the "man-of-the-match" each time I use this kind of tactics.
    PROUD MANAGER OF...
    ____________________***______________________

Quote Originally Posted by Ljepoje View Post
    In my opinion, Defense is the best offense! Since I started to play with defensive mentality + counterattacks my team started to play better, scored more goals and their ratings went up... Also my striker has been rewarded as the "man-of-the-match" each time I use this kind of tactics.
    Yes, I noticed that too! My friend plays with defensive mentality and he scores more goals.. Kinda strange..
    Last edited by TheGunners; 03-24-2013 at 01:55 PM.

The neutral mentality is kinda best. Playing with a 4-4-2 (DL, 2x DC, DR; ML, 2x MC, MR; 2x ST) and I won every game except of 3 until now.

Quote Originally Posted by odemwingie View Post
    The neutral mentality is kinda best. Playing with a 4-4-2 (DL, 2x DC, DR; ML, 2x MC, MR; 2x ST) and I won every game except of 3 until now.
    It depends on the opponent too.. For example I have only wins in my league and I have conceded only one goal (!) but in the Champions League I play against tough opponents so I have to use different tactics.

Quote Originally Posted by TheGunners View Post
    It depends on the opponent too.. For example I have only wins in my league and I have conceded only one goal (!) but in the Champions League I play against tough opponents so I have to use different tactics.
    Of course, I change my formation sometimes when a player is injured or something but I think that this formation shows stability for me and i get less goals than with another formation.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast