Thread: Advice for Newbie with a good amount of tokens

Advice for Newbie with a good amount of tokens

Hi all

Had a bit of change to spare so i thought i'd buy some tokens.

I've got 263. (I dont mean to brag, just so if people want to help they know my limit)

It's my first season and i'm set to win the league and i'm in the cup final against a much weaker side, so i'm fairly confident i've completed this season on a high and theres not much rush to take action until next season.

However, im debating with myself on whether to invest in some scout players for next season or power train one of my players.

My teams average quality around 20'ish.

I've heard the quality of players you can buy increases as you level up as a manager so would it be wise to wait a until my next season to invest in players?

I also read some posts that a user put about power training players using green rest packs, so should i just buy as many rest packs as i can with my tokens and power train one player?

I'm rambling now, but like I said i'm looking for a bit of advice, don't really want to waste my tokens :P

i can post pictures of my team if it helps.

Thanks in advance

I would wait until the new season starts (Cup on Sunday, League next Tuesday). Usually, if your team is good enough to win the league in its first season, then in my experience, with just a little quality / player addition, you should be well able to tackle level 2 (and 3), with no problems. Don't be in too much of a rush to spend your tokens, you will need them in later levels. A screen shot of your squad would help.
    LONDON CITY

Olympic Stadium...East London

Season 47...........Manager Level 33

Ah i see, well here's my squad at the moment, i'm playing 4-5-1 V formation, kinda copied a user i saw on here with a perfect record (dvr blah blah) that i saw as i've played around a bit with formations and haven't settled on a perfect one yet, but 4-5-1 seems to work for me, i usually sub a more defensive formation on once i've got a 2 goal cushion.

Advice for Newbie with a good amount of tokens-league.jpgAdvice for Newbie with a good amount of tokens-general-1.jpgAdvice for Newbie with a good amount of tokens-general-2.jpg

As you can see i have mostly young players, i'm not keen on buying players above mid 20s, and i'm thinking of investing in some DMR/DML to add more depth.

( i'm playing an AMC in AMR as i'm currently looking for the right player for that postition)
    Liverpool FC - Team Showcase

"You'll Never Walk Alone."

#JFT96

I don't claim to be a Top Eleven expert but, if anyone would like advice, please don't hesitate to contact me through 'private messaging', I try to reply as soon as possible.

You've got a decent squad, well done on your first season!

You can afford to wait until next season to buy new players, but I warn you that on the first few days of the season it would be easy to burn through a lot of your tokens in bidding wars and you obviously don't want to do that. Maybe think about picking up a couple of high rated 5* (Q23 or 24) to replace your 3*/low 4* players before the end of the season while the competition is low

You clearly need a couple of defensive subs, another ST and ideally an AML and an AMR or two if you're going to stick with that formation. You'll have three competitions next season, which means a lot of two game days. I took the approach of having two 11s to switch between, but you can go for a more flexible squad if you prefer

So the biggest questions above were about scouts and PT. My take on it is this: you don't need scouts at this level, there will be plenty of high 5* players on the transfer list that you can train up to 6* at a much lower token cost. Also, the best way to train is using free green packs gained by watching videos and/or playing friendlies. You get 1 skill point per pack if you're really lucky, meaning 15 packs minimum per quality level. Spread that over a few players and you're buying a lot of packs

Just build up your team organically, get some cash in next season (you'll get £6.4m for 85 tokens when you level up) and pick up high value, high quality youngsters when they appear on the TL. I've ended season 2 with a squad packed out with young scout level players using this approach with fewer tokens than you have now
    Team:

- Feeder AFC -

Season 5, Level 5

Records:

Season 1: League Champions (no Cup or CL)

Season 2: League Champions, Cup silver medal, CL silver medal

Season 3: League Champions, CL bronze medal

Season 4: League bronze medal, CL winner, Cup winner

That was a good read!

It's rather late (4am) so forgive me if I misinterpreted you but from what I gather, the best approach would be to get rid of my 3* and low 4* players now and try and buy some young 5* or high 4* players cheaper before the end of the season.
    And then invest in some $ next season and go for some more squad depth, again young, quality players, whilst training my squad normally?

To be honest the amount of stuff I've read from some of the older members about tactics and really clever training and formation ideas seems rather daunting, and I'm worried ill end up getting pummled by said managers in 2 or 3 seasons!

I don't intend on spending big £ on the game, maybe 100/200 tokens a month, but even so there's people out there who dominate without spending a penny!

I'm trying to get a good solid formation I won't have to change much as because of my work schedule I can usually set my team up for the first match of the day, but I don't have much time to prepare for the second or possibly 3rd.

I had a mooch around and saw this manager (dv8r) I think who seems to get perfect records with the 4-5-1 V formation but I've seen and beaten other teams with the same formation who don't have as much success.

It's my first football manager game as I'm more of a RTS, FPS player so it's a bit of a learning curb, but anyway, the advice is much appreciated!

Yeah, I know it's late, I'm in England too!

Your players will go down in value at the start of next season, so now is a good time to get rid of a few who aren't up to standard. But don't buy 4* - with the tokens you have, you'll want to replace them as soon as you see what you can get next season, trust me

Young, high value, high quality players train faster and will recover any value lost within a few days, so they make good signings even now - then add a few more players (always young, high quality, high value) at Level 2. And train normally with a few exceptions, you can't afford to PT a whole squad on your budget but you might do it with a few of your fastest trainers

Formation is a personal preference, I play 4-4-2 classic and I've got a 100% league record over two seasons plus two cup finals this season, so it's just down to how you want to put your team out - countering others only becomes an issue when you are facing better teams, I'd rather impose my style of play

Users like dv8r and July Fourth are at a much higher level, competition for players on the transfer list is much more difficult so they buy scouts and PT using green packs (you can do this, but you'll need at least 200 and probably as much as 500 tokens per season to do the same) - while their advice and experience is useful, it's not all necessary in the lower levels

It will obviously get harder as you progress, you'll face more players who are actually playing regularly and more people who are buying a lot of tokens. But if you get a good foundation now, you'll still be able to compete

Good luck with it anyway, I hope you stick around and enjoy building your team :-)

Edit: there are no 3 game days unless you have friendlies, but you will want to either switch players or apply packs between games
    Last edited by SimplySimon; 05-02-2013 at 03:48 AM.
    Team:

- Feeder AFC -

Season 5, Level 5

Records:

I see.

For example, on my transfer list now there's a 19 yo 5* 23 quality MR/AMR going for 1.8 mil, which I think seems a bit extortionate compared to same age, same quality players I've seen, but I'm guessing this guy is the price he is because of the fact he's close to scout level and is going to be quick to train?

Sorely tempted to fork out and buy him as I need a MR/AMR in the squad but on the other hand if I pay the tokens for the cash I'm wasting as I could get double that it like a week next season?

But again competition is going to be fierce as you said at the start.

I founded my club a few games in you see so I haven't experienced the start of the season yet, I was lucky enough to start with a bot squad that had a decent run.

Decisions decisions...

You got it right, high value (usually) equals fast trainer - he'd probably be a good player for you, but yes more money for your tokens soon

Seeing as it's a player you need I'd be sorely tempted too, but here's another quick tip for you: you only need to have enough cash in the bank to make a bid, but you can bid for multiple players at the same time and go into debt for 7 days. So if you see a few players you want, you could in theory bid for them all then wait until next season to clear your debts for fewer coins
    Last edited by SimplySimon; 05-02-2013 at 04:40 AM.
    Team:

- Feeder AFC -

Season 5, Level 5

Records:

And as a side note, if you're often around at this time of day it's the best time to buy players (apart from the first few days of the season, where it can go crazy any time)
    Team:

- Feeder AFC -

Season 5, Level 5

Records:

Well thanks for the info, ill be sure to check back on this in the future,

I quite like the idea of that little debt scheme hehe.