Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree11Likes

Thread: Do you really need to counter every single game?

I play also with one formation. Only when a player is injured or red card i will change it for just the time it is neccessary.
    Season 1: League 2 - CL Didn't play - CUP didn't play
    Season 2: League Winner - CL Winner - CUP Winner
    Season 3: League Ongoing(momently 1st) - CL Ongoing (group fase 3th place) - CUP Ongoing (qualification rounde)

I've mixed views on the counter formation theory, at first I thought it would be useful BUT some of us here using counter formations recently have been failing when playing worse teams, It seems countering works best for the weaker teams to try and cancel out dangerous attacks.

These days I tend to stick to what I think is best for my team, which is how a manager should be thinking about how they should play the game.
    MoonMaiden and tziortz like this.
    *Retired From Top Eleven*

Pro
    Yeh it depends on how good the team im playing against is. If im better than them then they should be countering me lol!

Quote Originally Posted by July Fourth View Post
    I've mixed views on the counter formation theory, at first I thought it would be useful BUT some of us here using counter formations recently have been failing when playing worse teams, It seems countering works best for the weaker teams to try and cancel out dangerous attacks.

These days I tend to stick to what I think is best for my team, which is how a manager should be thinking about how they should play the game.
    So if I understand it is just necessary to counter if your weaker then your opponent ?
    In that case I gone try that out a few times.
    July Fourth likes this.
    Season 1: League 2 - CL Didn't play - CUP didn't play
    Season 2: League Winner - CL Winner - CUP Winner
    Season 3: League Ongoing(momently 1st) - CL Ongoing (group fase 3th place) - CUP Ongoing (qualification rounde)

Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by July Fourth View Post

This will sound wrong but once ive got my squad for the season, i try n fit a legal formation round my top 11, whats even worse is alot of the time who i sign is dictated by whats on the market! Obviously thats within reason, i wont sign 6 strikers purely because they were there but this season im playing with DMC's that i normally wouldnt, due to them being young, good and available. Its been successful so far right enough
    MoonMaiden likes this.

I see, so maybe I should change tact then, I have strongest quality in my league ( just) so maybe I should pick a formation and let them counter me and just counter when I come up against stronger sides in Champs League, is that correct July?
    F.C. United
    League Won 11
    League Runner up 4
    Cup Won 3
    Cup Finalist 3
    Champions League Won 5
    Champions League Finalist 9

Season 23 Level 23

United Til I Die
    League Won 12
    League Runner Up 4
    Champions League Won 2
    Champions League Finalist 7
    Cups Won 1
    Cup Finalist 2

Season 32 Level 27 (Retired)

Banned
    If you are much stronger, it shouldnt matter 9 times out of 10 which formation you choose, you should go with your strongest.

BUT

Why risk the wrath of the NGE? If you can counter the opponent with a strong formation that logically should work, then why not do it? You are only giving yourself an advantage.

I am very distrustful of known counters now and tend to use a logical approach. If he has an AMC, use a DMC in your formation. If he has only one ST, go with 3DC at the back or 3W defenders, if he has 4 in the midfield, put 5 of your own....it just takes you a few minutes and you should have a team formation set to take advantage of his weaknesses.

Of course, if you are stacked full of scouts, again, just go with your strongest formation and let others counter you, if you have that luxury.
    herdo and tziortz like this.

In some point i was thinking i was the only one playing most games with a specific formation I am using though a formation that i didnt really see around, and because i only lost once in like 2 seasons i dont even know which is my counter attack so to be carefull when i face it

This is my 11th season, and I've NEVER changed my formation to counter my opponents formations. I use the thought, "I'm not afraid of your tactics, but you can be afraid of mine". Keeping a settled team and formation seems to help my player ratings too.
    July Fourth and tziortz like this.
    LONDON CITY

Olympic Stadium...East London

Season 47...........Manager Level 33

Rookie
    Quote Originally Posted by El Pistolero View Post
    I'm not afraid to switch tactics but I just can't keep away from 4-5-1V

this is a team I never login after first day of the season
    and its in season 4 now
    Newcastle United

Team Season
    Season 6