Like Tree6Likes
  • 2 Post By Max
  • 3 Post By SuperDunk
  • 1 Post By Lucian1986

Thread: What's your usual approach in games where you are an underdog?

Question What's your usual approach in games where you are an underdog?

Do you do anything specific against stronger teams in general that brings you results or do you analyze and adapt to each individual opponent?

Asking because I have been exceeding expectations in CL without attending matches while sticking to the same hexagon formation and attack minded approach that I do against weak teams. Feels like I stumbled into a small streak of troll-ish results going in my favor, but there is still more to be done.

Perhaps the 10% difference in quality between me and my CL opponents is not gigantic but it's still noticeable. Now that the final is close (won 1-3 away) I'd rather not tempt fate by continuing to just spectate until the very end...
    United FC: 6 leagues (1 invincible), 1 cup, 2 CLs
    St. Tropez 1964: 6 leagues (1 inv), 1 cup, 1 CL (One treble)
    Newton Heath: 7 leagues (2 inv), 1 cup, 1 CL, 1 SL, 1 SC
    The Black Pearl: 3 leagues (1 inv), 2 cups, 1 CL, 2 SL, 1 SC
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Manchester Heath: 6 leagues (3 inv), 4 Champions Leagues, 2 Cups, 3 Super Leagues, 4 Super Cups... (One quadruple)

Max
    Quote Originally Posted by DoctorRedDevil View Post
    Do you do anything specific against stronger teams in general that brings you results or do you analyze and adapt to each individual opponent?

Asking because I have been exceeding expectations in CL without attending matches while sticking to the same hexagon formation and attack minded approach that I do against weak teams. Feels like I stumbled into a small streak of troll-ish results going in my favor, but there is still more to be done.

Perhaps the 10% difference in quality between me and my CL opponents is not gigantic but it's still noticeable. Now that the final is close (won 1-3 away) I'd rather not tempt fate by continuing to just spectate until the very end...
    I’m no expert at all but I’d do my best to find something that would work well with better opponents.

I normally try to change things such as my formation and orders slightly if things are not working or going my way in a match so see if I can change that.

I also try to have good subs in case I need them in matches, either to change something up/change formation or just to bring on fresh legs to ride out a game.

(This part of my post may be a little off topic to the question of the thread but I think it will fit here to a degree.)

Another thing I’m starting to do in General and sometimes against stronger opponents is to test, I have been advised this a good few times by some forum members, so in certain games when I’m the underdog, I’ll look at the opponent’s formation and see if I can do anything, something different than what I’d usually play and see if that could work against this certain opponent.

Lately I have tried to remove my defensive sort of style against all teams, including stronger ones, I go more attacking now than I used to as I feel it is worth going for it in certain games. I don’t sit back as much anymore.

Another thing I’m trying to do is if I’m against a stronger team or a good opponent in general, I am training myself in to stop panicking as panicking will not take you anywhere, this has helped me a lot recently in my opinion. I beat my 7% stronger opponent in the CL Semi Final first leg 0-4, so I’m pretty much in the Final now barring mishaps. I used to be nervous when I was playing someone even 1% stronger than me but since I have removed the extent of panicking, I am a lot more confident now than I was against stronger opponents.

I know this may not be exactly what you are looking for as I’m talking about how I’d approach games against stronger and good opponents but also, my opponents in general.

All in all, I’m no expert but now I’m trying to improve that.
    DoctorRedDevil and deepedgefc like this.

Nothing, you just wait to see if NORDEUS has the troll option for you in game.
    I m still around, LOL!

Quote Originally Posted by SuperDunk View Post
    Judging by the tone I am sensing your form hasn't been good lately?

It feels bizarre. Because in the first 2 seasons or so I was regularly losing to anyone remotely close to my team's quality. Now in the past few days it felt like any issue sorts itself out...
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Manchester Heath: 6 leagues (3 inv), 4 Champions Leagues, 2 Cups, 3 Super Leagues, 4 Super Cups... (One quadruple)

QF, me 95%, opponent 113%
    You'd think me rescuing a 2-2 home draw with 10 men against him is plenty of trolling on its own. But then in the 2nd leg today I win 6-1 at his ground. Didn't even attend either match.
    SF 1st leg, me 98% opponent 107%

SF 2nd leg

Didn't attend
    Same hexagon formation
    Attacking

Won 5-0. In the final. Going to play a 110% opponent most likely, or a 100% opponent who beat me in both group games.

Don't tease me Nordeus...

Rookie
    Quote Originally Posted by SuperDunk View Post
    You can try different tactics but this is pretty much your only option. There is about 30% randomness to the result so hopefully you are lucky.
    SuperDunk likes this.
    Level 20

18 x League Champion
    15 x Champions League Winner (4 x Runner Up)
    17 x Cup Winner (2 x Runner Up)
    13 x Super Cup Winner (1 x Runner Up)

929 Wins/ 55 Draws / 40 Losses
    4367 Goals Scored / 509 Goals Conceded/ 267 Games Longest Unbeaten Streak

Quote Originally Posted by Lucian1986 View Post
    You can try different tactics but this is pretty much your only option. There is about 30% randomness to the result so hopefully you are lucky.
    Well, usually if the difference is more than 10% i don t get my hopes up i can do something, depends on the opponent and if he has that sh***y Mou support, then you re done. No way you re beating that, but if the manager doesn t have mou support you got a chance.
    If i m the favorite, i m worried because of the history i have with the game trolling me in these kind of scenarios.
    However you want to take it, it s all random, i don t believe in tactics anymore.
    I m still around, LOL!