Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
Like Tree2Likes

Thread: 3 ST? Go defensive !

3 ST? Go defensive !

So recently I've been testing something. I've been against a couple of teams that had 3ST, so quite an offensive formation. Even when it was against lower quality teams, my possession and attempts were not that good. What happened is that I switched my mentality from Normal to Defensive, applied a counter attack strategy.

There was a clear change in possession in my favor and my players and more attempts. I finished winning all my matches in that perticular formation.

What I'm saying is, if you see a 3 ST formation and you struggle getting goals despite having a better team, switch it to defensive/counter attack and see what happens.

It worked for me.
    Jacob Věc likes this.

Greek Forum Moderator nikolgiorgos's Avatar
    Do you believe that teams with 3 ST are using also red arrows to them ?
    Καλώς ήρθατε στο Ελληνικό φόρουμ
    http://forum.topeleven.com/%CE%93%CE...%B4%CE%B1.html

Quote Originally Posted by nikolgiorgos View Post
    Do you believe that teams with 3 ST are using also red arrows to them ?
    I do. Moreover, I think that most of managers always use red arrows on their ST (no matter of number) I don't know why.
    I use red arrows for players who have empty space in front of them or I want them to join attack

Quote Originally Posted by t11_fan View Post
    I do. Moreover, I think that most of managers always use red arrows on their ST (no matter of number) I don't know why.
    I use red arrows for players who have empty space in front of them or I want them to join attack
    Same here. Either that or overtake slower opponents at the same position.
    I also use red on my AMC usually to support my 1 or 2 ST.

A lot of players use general principles. They are often what can be exploited or what you can do differently.

(Seem some good 'Troll' results from a counterattacking 4-3N-3 - and I've always wanted to see if I could get ND working as a def c-a alternative, but never got around to it. >.< )

I've played alt teams where I've used def c-a in every match to just to see what happens re consistency. I've found that when def c-a is working well v an attacking formation then there are 2 characteristics: possession advantage (particularly if they increase the mentality) and high corner count. When it works perfectly you also see a high percentage of shots on target (even id shot count is not high).

Now, whenever I'm attacking and I see lots of corners ticking over for opposition I switch to normal. Or if I want to attack, I start Normal and do a 5 min test of Attacking mentality to see what changes.

But these relate to def c-a in general not just 3ST.

Not scientific or proven, just my opinion.
    Last edited by Buffs Mad; 09-26-2014 at 05:59 PM.

I remember once on my old account I played against a high quality team, Narrow Diamond. Played a hard defending / CA formation and won easily 2-0.

Always have an eye on possession...

Quote Originally Posted by El Duderino View Post
    Always have an eye on possession...
    Always have an eye on shooting, that is way more important than possession. I have learned that too much times...
    Last time few days ago - played home match against one star weaker team, had 72%, but shooting difference was small. At the end of match he had 16 shoots (few less than me) with only 28% of BP. I lost match 1-0

" eye on shooting, that is way more important than possession."
    I agree with that and spec. I believe if the opponent isn't watching the match, the extra possession is kind of fake.

I 've read that red arrows make STs position a bit more forward of the team and I also noticed many times in my team that my AMR/AML or MR/ML with red arrows have many shoots and (goals) , without Shad.Str. SA. I don't have problem with that, I 'm not going for the golden shoe, if my team wins I 'm ok.

Hey, I want to show you an interesting match today. This is from CH.L. were one powerful player (I 'm afraid that it's very possible tom meet him in the final) lost a game in his group. And guess what ? The opponent was playing 3-4-3
    The scouter one (obvious a T buyer or farmer, with a team full of scouts or x-scouts), playing always this formation, I 'm sure was playing attack and he is first in his league with 38-3 goals. The other one I 'm thinking was playing def. .The score was 0-1, 1-1, 1-2. I don't know if anybody was present but there something with counter 3 ST .What are you saying ?
    Formation - stat - rates of the game.

3 ST? Go defensive !-formation-1.jpg
    3 ST? Go defensive !-rates.jpg
    3 ST? Go defensive !-stats.jpg

score 1-2

If I was in his position I wouldn't dare to play against a powerful team with 3 STs . Finally he did it.
    Last edited by nikolgiorgos; 09-30-2014 at 04:01 PM.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast