I'm getting a bit fed up with how my team has been doing lately, and thought I'd go on here for some feedback. I've tried different versions for some time now, but it just doesn't seem like I'm going to get it done. I see that some of the most successful teams on my server seem to be playing a tight diamond in a pretty regular 4-4-2 which I think is dull as h*ll frankly and I don't think I'll try it.

I'm going with a tactic that I feel should be able to do well, but I can't really say it does. Not so far at least.

I'm playing a 3-2-2-3 or 3-2-3-2 with a tight back 3, two wide defensive midfielders a central pairing or trio depending on if I think I need to counter an opponent's centre.
I have (quite comfortably) the best squad at my level (3) but can't seem to get the results I need this season.

What should I do about general settings? I've gone for a defensive mentality, mixed focus of passing, pressuring on my own half, normal tackles, short passing, zonal marking and hitting teams on the break.

With my mostly superior squad, should I be looking to gain more possession and attacking by putting my mentality to attacking and no counterattacking unless I come across someone 'better' than me?