Thread: How to build a solid defense

Rookie

How to build a solid defense

All,

My team has been performing great on terms of midfield and offence, however my defense has been good but not great. This resulted in numerous runaway games which my high caliber offense was almost always able to maintain a lead. Any suggestions or tips on how to build and maintain a very solid defense?

For starters, you can get better players, as simple as that. Train them up, keep their condition and morale good. Move your defenders thats based off your opponents, like more defenders in the centre if your opponent is playing through the middle. You can always set more defenders or players mentality.

Rookie
    It is more like their individual performance is lacking despite # of stars rather than being positioned incorrectly. The marking is usually good because of my formation and tactics. Like what skills should I be looking at? What training drills work best?

Quote Originally Posted by InvincibleGinger FC View Post
    It is more like their individual performance is lacking despite # of stars rather than being positioned incorrectly. The marking is usually good because of my formation and tactics. Like what skills should I be looking at? What training drills work best?
    I have a different approach than many other players and put a lot of effort into my fullbacks. I target an average defensive rating of 160% and always use a DMC along with 4 DL with the same target rating. No particular preference about which of the five defensive skills is highest. Defense is a group effort so they’ll average across the squad.

About the goalkeeper, I train them actively but their performance is volatile, with even good ones notching some lousy games. But a good goalkeeper having a terrific game can basically win it for you. Goalkeeper performance almost acts like a wildcard - it can win games just by itself, and lose them, too.

Finally - and this is obvious - avoid having the DL get useless offensive special skills. Make sure they get the header and wall special skills instead.

Oh, and speed. Fullbacks need speed in the 130-140% range or they are liable to speedy open field play by the opponents.