Thread: Champions League Group Results

Champions League Group Results

Hello Top Eleven Managers!

In the results table of my CL group games I have seen an interessting case.

I am referring to the places 3 and 4 in the below results table.
    Both players have the same number of wins, draws and losses and thus the same number of points.

Champions League Group Results-t11-cl-groups-results.jpg

The tie-break rules used in Top eleven for such cases are the official UEFA Champions League tie break rules:

1. Higher number of points obtained in the group matches played among the teams in question
    2. Higher goal difference from the group matches played among the teams in question
    3. Higher number of goals scored in the group matches played among the teams in question
    4. Higher number of goals scored away from home in the group matches played among the teams in question

5. If, after applying criteria 1-4, two teams still have an equal ranking, criteria 1-4 are reapplied exclusively to the matches between the two teams in question, in order to determine their final rankings.
    If this procedure does not lead to a decision, criteria 6 and 7 apply
    6. Superior goal difference from all group matches played
    7. Higher number of goals scored from all group matches played.

In my opinion, player Amedspor should be on 3rd position, bcos he has got the better goal difference which is the second criteria after number of points.

Player Adrians FC has shot 4 goals and received 18 goals, so the goal difference is -14.
    Player Amedspor has shot 5 goals and got 16 goals, thus the goal difference is -11.

The goal difference of -11 is better than the goal difference of -14.

According to the Top eleven support, criteria #5 of the tie break rules apply and thus the order of the players is correct.

As mentioned, I doubt that this is correct, however it can easily be, that I am reading or understanding smthg wrong.
    Maybe some of you have experience with these tie break rules and can explain to me why this should be correct in the way it is.
    I am very interessted in your opinions.

Thank you
    Wolf

The answer is in your own post.
    Quote Originally Posted by _Wolf_ View Post
    1. Higher number of points obtained in the group matches played among the teams in question
    2. Higher goal difference from the group matches played among the teams in question
    In the games played between Amedspor and Adrians FC, each team won one, so points are 3-3: the tiebreaker goes to #2.

Amedspor won their home game 2-1, and Adrians FC won theirs 2-0. Thus, the total goal difference between the teams is +1 in favor of Adrians FC. Because of this, Adrians FC wins the tiebreaker, and finishes 3rd.
    DRAGONS SC

THE PERMANENT END

There should be a line prior to this bit, it is implicit, but should be stated officially:

In the event of two or more teams ending the Group stage on equal points, then...

The tie-break rules used in Top eleven for such cases are the official UEFA Champions League tie break rules:

3. Higher number of goals scored in the group matches played among the teams in question
    4. Higher number of goals scored away from home in the group matches played among the teams in question
    Any formation or tactics advice given is based purely on experience with my teams...