Thread: Let's settle this once and for all! (Why 4-5-1 V loses to the Narrow Diamond).

Rookie

Let's settle this once and for all! (Why 4-5-1 V loses to the Narrow Diamond).

For some reason I've been seeing a lot of manager's shocked that 4-5-1 V loses to the narrow diamond. So let's break it down. I will refer to them as ND and 4V.

Narrow Diamond (ND)
    x--x----x--x
    ------x------
    ---x-----x---
    ------x------
    ---x-----x---
    vs
    ------x------
    x-----------x
    ---x-----x---
    ------x------
    x--x----x--x
    4-5-1 V-style (4V)

NDs DR matches 4Vs AML, & the DL matches the AMR.
    NDs 2 DCs overwhelm 4Vs 1 ST.
    NDs DMC adds support to its 2 MCs, overpowering the mid field.
    Then NDs AMC matches 4Vs DMC & the 2 STs match the 2 DCs.

So basically ND matches the attack from 4Vs flanks & double covers its forward.
    Meanwhile NDs attack looks even with 4Vs defense, except that ND has control of the mid-field. This makes it easier to thread the ball up to the AMC & ST & provide a second line of attack when the AMC & ST get tied up with 4Vs defense.

Also, I tend to use force counter-attack tactics with the ND. So because I can so easily stop 4Vs attack with my defense it makes counter attacks with the strong midfield presence very potent. Essentially on a counter attack break ND would have at least 6 players (mayber more if the defense decides to join in the rush) going up the middle, while 4V would have only 5 players defending the middle, at best.

So there you have it. 4-5-1 V sucks against Narrow Diamond. Use a different formation, or just don't whine about it. ^_^

Rookie
    It looks like the formations and tactics engine has been changed. This season in my league I've been seeing managers using 4-5-1 V and defeating 4-1-2-1-2 ND even when the 4-5-1 team is weaker or on par with ND. I am also seeing 4=4=2 classic beating 4-5-1 V which used to almost never happen (4-5-1 V was even lauded as a good counter to 4=4=2 classic).