Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Man on Man vs Zonal

Rookie

Man on Man vs Zonal

I'd like to understand Man on Man marking a little better. As I think that I have a pretty good idea on zonal defense, and regularly use it, but man on man I've been hesitant to use as I don't understand it properly.

At present my impression of man on man is:

You can use man on man if you match up all of your defenders with your opponents associated defenders, but it's not a good idea if your opponent has more skilled players.

Is this impression of MoM correct?

And what happens to your extra defenders? Do they go run half way up the field to mark your opponents DMCs etc? (As that'd be silly, but is part of what I'm scared of with using MoM)

Anyway, if someone can enlighten me that'd be awesome. As my current defense seems to be working ok in the league 103GF/7GA after 24 games, but I'm carried by higher quality players and terrible opposition teams. I only had 27GF 14GA in the cup, vs equal teams, but I think I could do better if I understood MoM more. As I missed out on the cup this season, but want to win it next season, as IMO it's the most prestigious and financially rewarding trophy for me at present (As no token buyers so far at lvl 2 lol)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free

Apprentice
    in fact i never saw someone play man to man or offside here for this none talk about never may be you should try it when you play against weaker teams

Rookie
    Yeah I figured most played zonal instead. Although I saw someone post a response to someone's question about a formation and he ended with "man on man of course" while describing the orders he uses. Made me think maybe it's more common than I thought.

It'd kinda make sense vs a weaker team, or if you simply have very good defenders. But I'd like to find out more. I might try it myself tomorrow in my league game to see if I can learn anything. But hopefully someone will post something up about it before then.

Offside trap I've tried using a few times vs weaker teams and teams with very few players on my side of the field (since then I stack my attacking players). Haven't really noticed much of a difference compared to not ticking the box. But then, the teams are rarely competitive teams that I've tried it with.

Man on man marks each player rather than their zone. So obviously used with a defensive formation, however if your marker gets away from you then you're in trouble. Also, man on man uses up more energy, I've found.

Season 15 - Level 15

League Winners (14) - Levels 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14
    26-0-0 league (4) - Levels 3, 4, 7 & 8
    Undefeated in league (11) - Levels 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 10, 12, 13, 14
    Cup winners (2) - Level 1 & 14
    Cup 3rd place (1) - Level 12
    Champions League Winners (10) - Levels 2, 3, 4, 5, 7, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14
    Champions League Runners up(1) - Level 9

>My team<

Pro
    "You can use man on man if you match up all of your defenders with your opponents associated defenders, but it's not a good idea if your opponent has more skilled players."

"And what happens to your extra defenders? Do they go run half way up the field to mark your opponents DMCs etc? (As that'd be silly, but is part of what I'm scared of with using MoM)"

I get the impression SlyAnimal is under the impression defenders mark defenders, midfield players mark mc's and strikers mark strikers.

Before I comment, can someone confirm please

Quote Originally Posted by DiZZee View Post
    "You can use man on man if you match up all of your defenders with your opponents associated defenders, but it's not a good idea if your opponent has more skilled players."

"And what happens to your extra defenders? Do they go run half way up the field to mark your opponents DMCs etc? (As that'd be silly, but is part of what I'm scared of with using MoM)"

I get the impression SlyAnimal is under the impression defenders mark defenders, midfield players mark mc's and strikers mark strikers.

No, if you map the opponents players onto your field, whoever is nearest or on the same spot, that's how they mark. Though, that's what I assume happens from looking at game commentary

Season 15 - Level 15

League Winners (14) - Levels 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14
    26-0-0 league (4) - Levels 3, 4, 7 & 8
    Undefeated in league (11) - Levels 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 10, 12, 13, 14
    Cup winners (2) - Level 1 & 14
    Cup 3rd place (1) - Level 12
    Champions League Winners (10) - Levels 2, 3, 4, 5, 7, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14
    Champions League Runners up(1) - Level 9

>My team<

Apprentice
    i think i will try man to man soon iam curios

If u play man-on-man, ur defender will mark his nearest attacking players when they seem to attack or receive a pass or cross. That defender will continue to mark his attacker and will follow him into any zone. Zonal marking will mean that a person enters the zone of a defender, the defender will take him on, and if that attacker goes into another zone, a new defender holding that area will mark him and the previous defender will go back on his position, thus not leaving the position empty. U see what messi does for Barca, he enters from the left, taking the opponents Right back along with him towards the centre of the D. If man marking is being done against barca, the DR will follow him wherever he goes, thus leaving that area open. Sanchez or fabragas can enter that area freely, and messi will pass to them and they can do whatever they want. If zonal marking is done, the DR will follow messi only till the the DR area, and when messi enters the full back(DC) area, the DR will leave him and come back to his position and the DC will come to mark messi.
    So zonal is much better as no area is left empty. Man-on-Man also burns more stamina and cnd as the defender has to run a lot and finally come back to his own area after the attack is over.

P.S- None of this will work against Messi, he will still score and Assist!!!

Rookie
    Quote Originally Posted by DiZZee View Post

Blah a brainfart there while typing, happens when I'm thinking about the next sentence not the current one, should be associated strikers.

But yeah I am particularly interested in what happens when they have less attackers than you have defenders. Or is man on man only worthwhile when they have a lot of attacking players.

Rookie
    Thanks Saranash

So if I have say 3DCs, 1DMC 2MCs and my opponent has 2STs and 3MCs what will likely happen?

As I have 6x players in the zone (not incld goalie) and they have 5. Will the extra defender go run upto my opponent's DMC to mark him? Or will the extra defender assist the others as a kinda floating defender? Or pick 1x enemy player who's closeby and that guy gets 2x markers?

As this is the main thing I'm interested in and the real football answer might serve as a guide to the top11 answer. (I've never played or watched football, only the last World Cup since NZ was playing, so I really only know the basics about football lol).

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast