Thread: How to beat 4-4-2 Classic

How to beat 4-4-2 Classic

I’m playing against 4-4-2 Classic tomorrow. He is 1Q better than me, but I have a pretty decent attacking team as well (4-5 goals scored a match in average vs 0.5 conceded). Question is, what formation should I use against him (with orders)?

1. 4-5-1 V-Style – From Counters Table, the only one I can easily adapt to. The problem is, a lot of people here say that it’s highly ineffective against 4-4-2 Classic. Yet others say that Counters Table is totally useless anyway.
    2. 4-1-2-1-2 ND – The formation I’m most used to. But sometimes I simply can’t get how ineffective it is. Recently I had a game in which opponent had 2 very week DCs and one of them got injured at the very beginning of the game. I wasn’t able to do much, although I was a good 10Q better than him and was playing through the middle.
    Using Tapatalk

Rookie
    Quote Originally Posted by Mexanik View Post
    I’m playing against 4-4-2 Classic tomorrow. He is 1Q better than me, but I have a pretty decent attacking team as well (4-5 goals scored a match in average vs 0.5 conceded). Question is, what formation should I use against him (with orders)?

1. 4-5-1 V-Style – From Counters Table, the only one I can easily adapt to. The problem is, a lot of people here say that it’s highly ineffective against 4-4-2 Classic. Yet others say that Counters Table is totally useless anyway.
    2. 4-1-2-1-2 ND – The formation I’m most used to. But sometimes I simply can’t get how ineffective it is. Recently I had a game in which opponent had 2 very week DCs and one of them got injured at the very beginning of the game. I wasn’t able to do much, although I was a good 10Q better than him and was playing through the middle.
    Try 4-3-3 through middle

3 players in the middle? I would lose possession and I guess would be playing for counter attack, basically? 4-3-3 is a natural counter attacking formation anyway, so makes sense. Thanks

That being said, this is what I did: My two cents on 4-4-2

If you have better Team use 442 also.
    442 ND can also work but only If you have strong DR/L because If he put red arrows in His wings you can be in trouble.
    451 V style, can work, but also be carefull with His wings.
    3142, can also work, If you have stronger players in the midfield.

For a 4-2-2 formation of the opposition I played the 4-1-3-1 today with wingers on red arrows. I won 3-0 againsts the league learners and cut the gap to 3. 60% Possession 19 to 12 shots..

the 2 is ineffective againts 442. the one play 442 alway have a change to adapt his ordre to counter your formation.

in my own opinion, these formation below may help.

-442 hexagonal /Wing attacts. Use only if you are better than him in the wing. if you are better one Wing push one Wing to R/L M and the RL D in same Wing to R/L AM and R/L D.
    -Center attact: 442 weakest point is center. use one of those below
    LD-RD-CD-CD RM LAM CM CM CAM ST (i beated same Q opponent from 4-0 : 6-0 away in his present but 1/5 times it doesn't works)
    3-4-1AM-2 (normally works but you need to be better abit)
    4 1DM 2 CM 2 AM ST ( only work if you possesion is lower than 60 be careful of counter attact)
    4 2CM 2AM 2ST ( only in the last case to use. but really effective at the end of the match and heavy attacking )
    Last edited by tongly45; 11-05-2013 at 03:26 PM.
    Palaiseau FC in Sever 46
    season 28, level 28

competition Played 1st 2nd top4 last win current season(*)
    League 28 19 6 2 season 27 .....
    Champions league 26 7 1 6 season 25 ........
    Cup 26 2 2 3 season 7 .......
    (*) updated at 1-June-2015