Thread: I need help with this defensive formation 3-3-1-2-1

Question I need help with this defensive formation 3-3-1-2-1

Hello , I have 2nd leg match in the Cup .
    unfortunately I lost in the first match 2-0

My overall rating is 46* and my opponent is also 46*
    My opponent's formation is 3-3-1-2-1
    Like the following

...........ST...........
    AML...............AMR
    ...........MC...........
    DML .. DMC ... DMR
    ...DC .. DC ... DC ..

I played in the first leg with this formation and I lost 2 - 0

........ST...ST.......
    AML..............AMR
    ........MC..MC.......
    DL .. DC .. DC .. DL

My oppnent has 2 players with 6* they are DML & DMC
    And I have 2 players with 6* they are both DC

So what is you opinion ? I have to score 3 goals without conceding any to qualify .

Hey dude! Your brother is in my squad!
    I need help with this defensive formation 3-3-1-2-1-mb.jpg
    Just kidding

Sorry for the interuption.

I think your opponent was trying to counter your formation by placing DML and DMR to block your winger and a DMC to intercept any pass from the center. He probably use counter attack from the flank to exploit the empty spot on your wing left by the AML and AMR because the 2 of them are too far to help the wingbacks to cover your opponent's wingers. And he proved to succeeded to counter your formation.

As for the formation I suggest for you to play 3W-5-2 or 3W-1-4-2 defensive and counter attack from flank. The idea behind attacking from the flanks is because mathematically there are 5 players in the center area (1 MCs, 1 DMC and 3 DCs) which is a very tight defense. While on the flank he only have 2 marker, which are the wingbacks and an extra DC that is close to the wing back to provide extra cover. The defensive mentality makes your opponent's player come forward to attack you and it makes the gap between each player farther thus makes it easier to get pass by your winger.

That's my 2 cent bro.
    Last edited by boyscout; 11-12-2013 at 03:31 AM.

Lol what a coincidence man , I hope he's scoring a lot of goals

Thanks for your reply , first of all my opponent plays with this formation in all of his games , He doesn't change it ever .
    So , I don't think he was trying to counteract my formation , I think it was just a coincidence .

I was thinking to play with this formation 3W-3MC-2AMC-2ST with Center attacking and short passing
    I thought of this because 2 of his DC's are 4* and one of thim is 5* but he's also weaker than my ST or AMC .

What do you think about this strategy ?

Your brother is a super sub on my squad. Amost always score when he replace my main striker. LOL

Looks like you decide to go on head to head with your opponent's defense by attacking through the middle. This might work if you have better forward. But I think you should read this article especially on section 4.6. It shows a great concept of how defense works.

Based on this defense concept and your strategy your AMCs will have 5 possible markers and each of your STs have 4 possible marker. So it's not just about head to head stat. That is why if I were you I'd go with wing attack where the AML/AMR only have 2 possible marker.

I always do this marking analysis before facing an opponent to decide what formation to use and where should I focus my attack. Perhaps it was just my luck, but I never lose or draw in 8 matches after I read this guide. Sorry for bragging but seriously the concept is good.

Hi man,
    I think you should have more players in midfield.
    ........ST...ST.......
    AML..............AMR
    .....MC..MC..MC.....
    DL ...... DC ...... DL
    (from what i read above, u give me the impresion you don't have ML MR, only AML AMR)
    I would play MR-ML, not AML-AMR.
    If wou have a AMC, i think you should use him, i am a fan of possession, so i would overload the middle:
    ............ST..........
    ......AMC.............
    ML..MC..MC..MC..MR
    DL ....... DC ...... DL

Smile

Use 4-5-1 Flat Attack mentality,own half,mixed attack flanks and center depending his players power, short passing with counter. With deffensive teams you need control the midfield and press in you own half

Well , I played with 3W-5-2
    Defensive , long passing , counter attacks , and hard tackles
    I dominated the game completely , with 21 shots for me and only 12 for him .
    I was up 2 - 0 but unfortunately he scored a last minute goal , and now I'm out .

Anyway , thanks everyone for your help , I really appreciate it

Good game. Last minutes goal is sucks. I hate it too. But you shows a great domination and actually win though. Perhaps the god of luck forgot to watch your game and give you the extra 2% possession.