Thread: Is this formation viable? 3-2-2-1-2

Is this formation viable? 3-2-2-1-2

____ST_____ST____
    _______AMC_______
    ____MC_____MC____
    DML___________DMR
    ____DC_DC_DC_____

I can't find much about it on these forums so here is my reasoning:

- I want 2 ST. I tried with less and I am just an attacking kind of guy.
    - I want a shadow striker. It's just too awesome when they bomb the goal from 30 metres.
    - It's "cheap" on substitutes with 7 players on 3 different position.
    - DML and DMR are often cheap because few people use them.
    - Blue arrows on DMs when facing AMR/Ls.

For orders I am thinking attacking/middle/own half/normal/short/zonal without counter or offside trap.

Any input?

I played that formation against 4-5-1V a couple of days ago against the team the did the double over me last season and won the Championship because of that... won 5-2 away...
    Any formation or tactics advice given is based purely on experience with my teams...

Apprentice
    Quote Originally Posted by YankeeDK View Post
    ____ST_____ST____
    _______AMC_______
    ____MC_____MC____
    DML___________DMR
    ____DC_DC_DC_____

I can't find much about it on these forums so here is my reasoning:

- I want 2 ST. I tried with less and I am just an attacking kind of guy.
    - I want a shadow striker. It's just too awesome when they bomb the goal from 30 metres.
    - It's "cheap" on substitutes with 7 players on 3 different position.
    - DML and DMR are often cheap because few people use them.
    - Blue arrows on DMs when facing AMR/Ls.

For orders I am thinking attacking/middle/own half/normal/short/zonal without counter or offside trap.

Any input?
    I tried this tactic many times before, and i realise that use 1 tactic for all matches is bad. This tactic is not strong enough to win another strong midfielder tactics, such as 4-1-3n-2, 3n-1-4-2, 4-1-4-1, 3n-5-2, 4-1-2-1-2 Narrow Diamond...You'll lose possession and make least shots. Especially, when you lost from some corner kicks or free kicks, it's too hard too find goals against them.

Quote Originally Posted by talisman View Post
    I played that formation against 4-5-1V a couple of days ago against the team the did the double over me last season and won the Championship because of that... won 5-2 away...
    4-5-1V is a popular formation so it's good to know it can be used against that.

Quote Originally Posted by padrino View Post
    I tried this tactic many times before, and i realise that use 1 tactic for all matches is bad. This tactic is not strong enough to win another strong midfielder tactics, such as 4-1-3n-2, 3n-1-4-2, 4-1-4-1, 3n-5-2, 4-1-2-1-2 Narrow Diamond...You'll lose possession and make least shots. Especially, when you lost from some corner kicks or free kicks, it's too hard too find goals against them.
    I am going to give it a trial by fire tonight against one of the formations you mentioned: 3N-5-2. It's a home game against a weaker opponent so it should be an easy win.

Famous
    I used this formation in the champions today, switching to it at the 58th minute and got a 2:1 come from behind victory against 4-1-3w-2!

I'm not real familiar with it, since I don't recall using it before that. I'd think it would play well against the 4-4-2 classic and similar formations (4-1-3w-2, 4-2-2-2 hexagon). 3 Defenders to mark 2 ST and DML/DMR to cover your flanks, while having numerical superiority in the midfield.

As Padrino said, I'd be careful with it against strong midfield based tactics too; especially the Narrow Diamond.
    Last edited by pcmacdaniel; 05-09-2015 at 04:14 PM.

<deleted>
    Last edited by talisman; 05-09-2015 at 09:36 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by padrino View Post
    Used this formation this evening against a 3N-1-4-1-1 (Cross?) formation. Was a struggle all way through but as the opposition players were performing poorly (one 4 and three 5s), eventually got through 3-0.

Is this formation viable? 3-2-2-1-2-league-fm-s22-round-5.jpg
    Last edited by talisman; 05-09-2015 at 09:39 PM.
    Any formation or tactics advice given is based purely on experience with my teams...

Well, it didn't go so well. 0:0 against a weaker team with +15% possession. I was even under pressure and my goalie got MoM... I can't say I blame the formation though. The last 6 matches my team just hasn't performed well. Started the season great:

8:0
    4:1
    6:0
    4:0
    7:0
    6:2

Then the last 6 games:
    2:1
    1:1
    2:1
    1:1
    2:2
    0:0

In those 6 matches my best player and top scorer last season only scored once. I'll give this formation one more try and if it's a bust I'll try something new again.

Next game was a lot better. My good old striker still didn't score but he got 2 assists, and my new striker who went without goals in his first 2 matches scored a hat trick. 3:0 victory.

This formation is not something I use all the time, but just pull it out if I'm playing against a team with an odd formation I've not played against before, or as the first time I tried it, as a sort of 'shock treatment' to a team I have played a few times before and might have gotten used to my tactics...