Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Counter formation for 4-1-3W-2

Counter formation for 4-1-3W-2

So I'm playing a pretty strong guy who's dominating the league and always uses this formation; he's the only one I've lost to this season.

Counter formation for 4-1-3W-2-screen-shot-2014-04-25-14.11.58.jpg

What's the best formation to counter this? We're on roughly equal when it comes to team quality as of now, although he seems to score a lot and appears more proficient than me in the league.

I'm pretty new at this (my first post on here) so apologies if I'm slow on the uptake/lingo.

All advice much appreciated.

Cheers.
    Last edited by Beats89; 04-25-2014 at 01:37 PM.

I've had a look through the well established posts on counter formations, but on all of the 4-1-3W-2 posts, they seem to be referring to a DMC followed by 3 midfielders.

As you can see by the screenshot, this is one MC followed by AML, AMC & AMR.

I await some wisdom.

I would use 4-5-1 v style, passing down both flanks, and whole pitch pressing

Thanks very much for the advice.

I'm not sure I have the requisite players to fill out the midfield, ie I only have two MCs. I have two pretty good MRs though, so could stick one at MC for one match I suppose?

Would a 4-4-2 classic work as well as 4-5-1? I read on another forum it might.

And lastly (apologies for the plethora of questions and lack of knowledge!), what does the 'v' stand for in the 4-5-1? Just that 4 defenders, 5 midfielders and 1 striker resemble a V?

Thanks again.

4-5-1 v style is:
    DL-DC---DC-DR
    ------DMC------
    ----MC---MC---
    AML--------AMR
    -------ST-------
    The midfielders make a v

Ah OK great - I can do that.

Although I was playing with I think this formation the last time I played him, and lost (albeit narrowly). However it may have been with one less defender and one extra striker which may explain it.

I've been using whole pitch pressing for a large part of this season - when is it the right time to select it?

Really appreciate the tips, cheers!

Whole pitch pressing is good when the opponent has lots of STs or AMs, because it limits the chances those players get. Did you use passing down both flanks the last time you played him?

No, I didn't, so I will definitely try that and the whole pitch pressing (I'm sure, even if it was the same/similar formation I had last time I played him, I had mixed selected).

I'll be playing him in a few days, so I'll post the results.

In the meantime, I've been looking at this for tips with counter formations: http://forum.topeleven.com/formation...ation-use.html

I'd prefer to work it out myself, but I don't understand a lot of it (I'm a rugby player, so little knowledge of football), and before this season (League 3) I'd been winning stuff with ease, so didn't need to worry about tactics so much!

Thanks very much for the help!

Scarborough, North Yorkshire, United Kingdom
    Be careful going for whole pitch pressing as your player will tire quicker than normal, as for formations he is going very attacked minded so you must play 4 at the back to counter so many forward players!, but you can use this to your advantage if you have the right players!, I would not recommend playing the MR in the MC position unless you have no choice as you will get a small possession penalty for playing a player out of position.
    Have you not got a DMC?, if yes play him for extra cover, if not then its down to you r midfield!, first though you need to fight fire with fire and play at least two strikers but I would start with 3! this will give him some defencive duties aswell!, now as for your midfield what players have you got? ML,MC,MC,MR or ML,MC,MR would be perfect!.
    So formations to play 4-3-3 or 4-1-3-2 or-3-1-4-2 or 3-4-3.
    Orders.. attacking, focus passing mixed, close down own half,hard tackling, passing style mixed, zonal marking and playing offsides a must as he has so many players in forward positions this should work in your favour! dont force counter attacks save your players energy!.
    Arrows.... if your playing a DMC as extra cover like in a 3-1-4-2 formation then you can either give him a red if you want to be offensive or leave him empty so he stays back a bit!.
    Red arrows on all midfield and strikers so you are giving as much as your getting! , the rest now will come down to you having players with full morale and condition so do not train them before the match and use your booster packs if necessary!, watch the game closely, especialy the game stats to see if you are being out played in any area and adjust tacticks to suit!, if things are not going so well then change your orders to hard attacking and go for it!, you can even try changing passing to the flanks if you have the wide players on so good luck bud.

P.S I class 4-1-3w-2 formation as DL,DC,DC,DR,DMC.ML,MC,MR,ST,ST!. the one you are showing me does look like that but I think must be classified differently some how?. 4-0-1-3w-2? lol
    Last edited by Skidz; 04-26-2014 at 12:26 AM.
    x 17 x 5 x 1

Double winners x 5 , Treble x 1 ...Perfect league wins 26/26 x 1 (L8).
    Every comment I make on this forum is based on my own experiences and so should be taken as such!.

I would if I used a 4-5-1 with two attacking wing so will be able to win.
    Dạo này dự án mới là SEO cái du lịch úc và cái dịch vụ làm visa khoai vãi lúa luôn. Sau nhiều ngày thì lại phải nhận thêm cái du lich chau au điên rồ này nữa rồi Ờ thì giờ phải thêm cái Cooking Methods.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast