Thread: Formation report 4-2-3-1 (Retracted) / Anyone use this before?

Dreamer

Cool Formation report 4-2-3-1 (Retracted) / Anyone use this before?

I ended last season with several key players down, including both top strikers, and my top player at AML. I had to come up with something different to run, and it had to be a single striker formation. I personally really like the 4-2-3-1 (using DMC-DMC, AML-AMC-AMR), but that was a poor option due the down AML.

When I tried to make my usual 4-2-3-1 work I realized that if I move my forward line back that I could make some small changes and everyone would be in position. I still took an overall skill hit, but it also allowed me to focus on training for my top AMC.

Formations:Formation report 4-2-3-1 (Retracted) / Anyone use this before?-4-2-3-1holding.jpg

The ratings between my team and his were very close, mine being a 18.7 and his being a 18.1. I also had made a move for a great keeper off the transfer list, so I had improved my rating some after the matchup was determined.

Team Mentality: Attacking
    Focused Passing: Mixed
    Pressing Style: Whole Pitch
    Tackling Style: Normal
    Passing Style: Long
    Making Style: Zonal
    Force Counter Attacks: Off
    Play offside trap: On

Red forward arrows on DL, DR, and MC.

Highlights:Formation report 4-2-3-1 (Retracted) / Anyone use this before?-4-2-3-1holding-highlights.jpg

Stats:Formation report 4-2-3-1 (Retracted) / Anyone use this before?-4-2-3-1holding-stats.jpg

I'm not sure that I will continue to purposely run this formation as I still only have two DMC eligible players. If either were to not be available for a match it would mean playing a ML, MC, or DC in that position. I am quite happy with the result, and believe I would have scored more if my top player didn't get injured at 35'.

Any thoughts? Discussion?
    Last edited by Cody Allan Taylor; 05-05-2014 at 04:27 AM.
    Manager of Foresters FC and Guide FC. Both teams on server '161'.

Wondering if I took the time to type out that fancy formation? Nah, check out my python script!

English Forum Moderator Cat Harrison's Avatar
    I have used this (anyone surprised: so has Jürgen Klopp). I have more DMC's than the average team, so I have played it a fair bit, and though often it's a low scoring match, I usually win.

My orders differ though. I usually go normal (better opp, defensive + short pass), mixed pass with counter on, no offside.
    Expressed above is my own opinion. Your results may vary.
    ▬ ▬ ▬▬ ▬ ▬▬ ▬ >BvB
    < ▬ ▬▬ ▬ ▬▬ ▬ ▬
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Dreamer
    I suppose I could have gone with a flat 4-5-1 or a 4-1-4-1 now that I'm thinking about it, but when I saw this option I thought it was more fun than anything. I also really wanted to train both DMC players anyway. One of my DMC is simply still quite young and has a lot of work to do, so a free/meaningless game was a good option for him. My other DMC is a new transfer that I grabbed for free or really dirt cheap recently, but the downfall with him is that he was mis-trained having all of his skill points thrown in the defense category.

Another small problem with my team is I only have two left side eligible midfields, a ML and AML. On the right side, I have four players resulting with two AMR, two MR, and a DMR!

I am curious to see what others have to say about this experiment. I may play it again in a pinch

Wondering if I took the time to type out that fancy formation? Nah, check out my python script!

English Forum Moderator Cat Harrison's Avatar
    Way more often than not I have two DMC's in my formations. But you are so right, they need to have the skill set changed sometimes when you get them. (Right now I am trying one unbalanced to attack to see how he does, but usually I have att/def balanced and of course physical high)
    Expressed above is my own opinion. Your results may vary.
    ▬ ▬ ▬▬ ▬ ▬▬ ▬ >BvB
    < ▬ ▬▬ ▬ ▬▬ ▬ ▬
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Dreamer
    My second leg against the same team I played a more "normal" 4-2-3-1 since my AML returned from injury. I played much different tactics and won 2-4. I suppose that means if I want to stifle someone's offense, I can just play the "retracted" 4-2-3-1.

Rookie
    You think possible play whith red arrows in DMC'S and go through middle in normal mode????

Dreamer
    Quote Originally Posted by ciri View Post
    You think possible play whith red arrows in DMC'S and go through middle in normal mode????
    I wouldn't suggest that. By "normal" you mean with "AML-AMC-AMR", correct? lol.

If you are concerned about going threw the middle play a 4-4-1-1 with DMCs or even a 4-2-3-1 using three AMCs.