Thread: Playing defensive teams...

Playing defensive teams...

Hello everyone again! I have a question.
    Today I saw the teams I will play in the league, and for the third consecutive season I will clash with my friend for the league title. Our "rivalry" is weird. Out of 4 previous matches, I won 3 and we drew 1. He always had a slightly better quality than me, but after a 1-1 draw, I destroyed him 6-0 and 4-0 at my home. In our 2nd away match where I was absent and he had +15% ball possession, I defeated him 2-4. If I remember well, he played with 3 central defenders and maybe that is the reason I caused him a lot of damage. But now he switched into a formation with 5 defenders, two MCs, an AMC and two STs. The problem is I had problems with defensively minded teams on a few ocassions. I lost once to a team with a similar formation with 5 defenders 5-1, despite having a lot lot stronger team.
    My questions is how should I approach against these teams?

well against his formation you should attack the flanks, probably with 4-2-2-2 hex. What I would suggest is use force counter attacks, which invites his players to come up the field, and then get the ball and attack the open areas. So against a defensive formation it might work.

Quote Originally Posted by RJSlow View Post
    well against his formation you should attack the flanks, probably with 4-2-2-2 hex. What I would suggest is use force counter attacks, which invites his players to come up the field, and then get the ball and attack the open areas. So against a defensive formation it might work.
    What a coincidence. My mostly used formation is the 4-2-2-2 hexagon. Despite not having a bigger challenge so far, a goal difference of +11 (11:0) seems solid.
    What about my marking, tackling and other styles?
    Thanks for the tips...

Depending on quality of your team, from experience 4-2-2-2 has higher chances of failure. I've seen 4-1-4-1,4-4-2 (defensive) and 3-5-2V (normal) give 5 defenders some nightmares.
    Go Leo L24 Farmer ---

Very Athletic L20 (Semi-Retired) --- Real Messy L16 (Retired) --- Athletic Kuching L17 --- Los Galaxy L14 28T

Scarborough, North Yorkshire, United Kingdom
    Allways attack when playing defencive fornations, 4-4-3, 4-4-2, 3-1-4-2, 4-1-3-2, you need to use the flanks.
    x 17 x 5 x 1

Double winners x 5 , Treble x 1 ...Perfect league wins 26/26 x 1 (L8).
    Every comment I make on this forum is based on my own experiences and so should be taken as such!.