Thread: Counter vs unbeaten formation

Rookie

Counter vs unbeaten formation

I have to play the runaway champions in my league today in a crunch match where I really need three points. They're undefeated all season, only drawing four games out of 24 so far. I would basically attribute this to their formation, as their team quality isn't amazing but no one seems to have managed to crack it as yet. They line up as follows:

------GK------
    LB----CB----RB
    ------DCM-----
    ---MC---MC----
    AML--AMC--AMR
    -------ST------

I am at home and have players in most positions, however I have no MR and my ML is only 3 stars. Any suggestions as to how to win this one?

You should try the 4-1-3-2 formation. With this formation your DMC will cancel out his AMC, your MC's will win the midfield battle and your two ST's will take advantage of his three wide defenders. Make sure you put red arrows on your DL and DR as you'll be using a counterattacking formation.

Orders:

Team Mentality - Defensive
    Focus Passing - Though the middle
    Pressing Style - Own Half
    Tackling Style - Hard
    Passing Style - Long
    Marking Style - Zonal

Force counterattacks & no offside trap.

Good luck and post your result later!

Rookie
    Quote Originally Posted by BalkanButcher View Post
    You should try the 4-1-3-2 formation. With this formation your DMC will cancel out his AMC, your MC's will win the midfield battle and your two ST's will take advantage of his three wide defenders. Make sure you put red arrows on your DL and DR as you'll be using a counterattacking formation.

Orders:

Team Mentality - Defensive
    Focus Passing - Though the middle
    Pressing Style - Own Half
    Tackling Style - Hard
    Passing Style - Long
    Marking Style - Zonal

Force counterattacks & no offside trap.

Good luck and post your result later!
    I forgot to mention, his two CM are beasts (high 7* and an 8*) and are better than my midfielders. I think long balls would be the way to go to lessen the importance of the MF, but in that case shouldn't you aim to play with fewer CMs?

That's the thing, once your DMC blocks his AMC you have a massive advantage because your three MC's outnumber his two MC's making his team more prone to counterattacks.

All in all, it's your decision. I've used the 4-1-3-2 formation against the 3-1-2-3-1 and won two out of three times. I'm not saying you'll win the game 100% seeing as your opponent is undefeated but why not give it a go? Who knows, you might win and even win by a large margin. This is T11 after all, anything can happen.

Rookie
    Quote Originally Posted by BalkanButcher View Post
    That's the thing, once your DMC blocks his AMC you have a massive advantage because your three MC's outnumber his two MC's making his team more prone to counterattacks.

All in all, it's your decision. I've used the 4-1-3-2 formation against the 3-1-2-3-1 and won two out of three times. I'm not saying you'll win the game 100% seeing as your opponent is undefeated but why not give it a go? Who knows, you might win and even win by a large margin. This is T11 after all, anything can happen.
    I played 3-5-2 with wingbacks in the first game and enjoyed some success (fairly even first half) and I've noticed that most of the games in which he's dropped points this season have been against sides playing three CM, so I take your point regarding that. I like your tactics if I was playing as the away side or needed to defend a lead, can you remember if you were the home side or away in your three matches you used those tactics?

I won one game at home and one game away. Both games finished 2-0 in my favour. The game that I lost was due to a 4:00 AM fixture where my best DC got a red card and my ST got injured and I ended up losing 2-1. If you're playing away implement the orders I said and if you take the lead and manage to hold on to it during the second half set your teams mentality to "Hard defending" and switch to a 5-3-2 formation to block out his attackers (assuming he goes "Hard attacking").

Rookie
    I'm at home so adopting such a defensive counter tactics feels wrong somehow...Ok supposing I start with that and he takes the lead, what would your plan B be? Definitely need two strikers vs his one CB, wondering if I could get away with three at the back...

Use the exact same formation as I said but since you're playing at home you could set your teams mentality to "Attacking" or "Normal". If he scores early take out a MC and put on another ST at halftime. Also, if you play with an attacking mindset, DO NOT force counterattacks.

I think the chances of a draw are very high but I have a feeling you'll win.

Good luck and don't forget to post the result.
    Last edited by BalkanButcher; 07-25-2014 at 02:21 PM. Reason: Typo.