Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By padrino
  • 1 Post By Stephen Gatecliff

Thread: Facing a 2-1-4-3...no strikers??

Facing a 2-1-4-3...no strikers??

So 3 hours before our match, my CL finals opponent switches to a 2-1-4-3w, with the 3w being AML/AMC/AMR.

I've never seen this before, kind of caught me off guard. I've run a 4-4-2 all season, will this suffice? We're pretty even talent wise, he might have a slight edge.

Thanks in advance

Apprentice
    Quote Originally Posted by Stephen Gatecliff View Post
    So 3 hours before our match, my CL finals opponent switches to a 2-1-4-3w, with the 3w being AML/AMC/AMR.

I've never seen this before, kind of caught me off guard. I've run a 4-4-2 all season, will this suffice? We're pretty even talent wise, he might have a slight edge.

Thanks in advance
    The reality is no AML/AMC/AMR can do better than a ST. ST score more goals, and he makes more dangerous near penalty box( like solo situation, or assist back to midfielder, etc). I think he definitely play force counter. 4-4-2 are not strong against counter situations.

My solution for you is 3-2-2-2-1 Butterfly, attack through the flanks. His strength is on the flanks, you have DML/DMR against those players. 3 DCs behind DML/DMR can cover all the space, no matter from his AMC or AML/AMR. 2 MC against 2 MC, and your AML/AMR attack to his weakness at defense(no DL/DR/DML/DMR). He use ML/MR and AML/AMR in 1 tactic is waste. Good luck!

Quote Originally Posted by padrino View Post
    The reality is no AML/AMC/AMR can do better than a ST. ST score more goals, and he makes more dangerous near penalty box( like solo situation, or assist back to midfielder, etc). I think he definitely play force counter. 4-4-2 are not strong against counter situations.

My solution for you is 3-2-2-2-1 Butterfly, attack through the flanks. His strength is on the flanks, you have DML/DMR against those players. 3 DCs behind DML/DMR can cover all the space, no matter from his AMC or AML/AMR. 2 MC against 2 MC, and your AML/AMR attack to his weakness at defense(no DL/DR/DML/DMR). He use ML/MR and AML/AMR in 1 tactic is waste. Good luck!
    I have run Butterfly before, I will give it a shot! Thank you for the advice!

Now he switched to a 3W- 2 DMC - 3W - 1 AMC - 1 ST

He only has 5 star or higher on his team so I guess he has the freedom to throw whatever he wants out there.

I'm sticking with the butterfly though.

I decided to go 3N-1-4-2 in an attempt to counter his "Maple Leaf" formations weak midfield and 1 AMC/1ST offense. Used defense mentality with long passing and counter attack on.

Result: 5-1!! Despite a 43 to 40 edge in player skill in his favor, I won my first Champions League!!

Facing a 2-1-4-3...no strikers??-soccer.jpg

Apprentice
    Now he switched to a 3W- 2 DMC - 3W - 1 AMC - 1 ST

He only has 5 star or higher on his team so I guess he has the freedom to throw whatever he wants out there.

I'm sticking with the butterfly though.
    3-2-2-2-1 Butterfly still works well, don't worry. 3 DC vs 1 AMC and 1 ST, DML/DMR vs ML/MR, 2 MC vs 1 MC, AML/AMR and ST vs 3W defenders. His DMC still waste against Butterfly. Beside, if you want, you could turn 3 DC to 2 DC and 1 DMC, it's ok, not illegal anymore.

But,in case you want to change tactic again, so use 3n-1-4-2, mix passing, no counter, no offside. His 3W defenders system is bad choice against 2 ST and ML/MR.

Thank you for your advice Padrino, much appreciated!

Apprentice
    I decided to go 3N-1-4-2 in an attempt to counter his "Maple Leaf" formations weak midfield and 1 AMC/1ST offense. Used defense mentality with long passing and counter attack on.

Result: 5-1!! Despite a 43 to 40 edge in player skill in his favor, I won my first Champions League!!

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Soccer.jpg 
Views:	17 
Size:	89.2 KB 
ID:	41705
    Wow, i just told you change tactic to 3n-1-4-2
    Stephen Gatecliff likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by padrino View Post
    Wow, i just told you change tactic to 3n-1-4-2
    Great minds think alike!
    padrino likes this.