Thread: Thoughts on this 3-2-1-3-1?

Thoughts on this 3-2-1-3-1?

Hi all,

I have been trying to find the right formation for the squad I built. Things worked well until the CL and Cup semis, but equal or stronger opponents have better balance. Tonight... I came up with this 3-2-1-3-1:

Thoughts on this 3-2-1-3-1?-32131.jpg

Isn't this formation well balanced? Width at both ends of the pitch, a pair of defensive midfielders to help the wide back three, a diamond to cut off the middle and relay the ball... and I have backups in all positions.

I am thinking about using this with mixed passing and zonal marking.

What do you think? Should I use arrows to plug gaps anywhere?
    Team showcase: Red Stars Munich

Manchester, United Kingdom, United Kingdom

Apprentice
    Quote Originally Posted by mmunger View Post
    Hi all,

I have been trying to find the right formation for the squad I built. Things worked well until the CL and Cup semis, but equal or stronger opponents have better balance. Tonight... I came up with this 3-2-1-3-1:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	32131.jpg 
Views:	156 
Size:	58.1 KB 
ID:	45834

Isn't this formation well balanced? Width at both ends of the pitch, a pair of defensive midfielders to help the wide back three, a diamond to cut off the middle and relay the ball... and I have backups in all positions.

I am thinking about using this with mixed passing and zonal marking.

What do you think? Should I use arrows to plug gaps anywhere?
    The truth is, you have not much chances against 4-1-2-1-2 Narrow Diamond. Why? Because your lone ST faces 2 DC, AML/AMR/AMC face DR/DL/DMC. His 2 MC against your lone MC. You have 2 DMC, ok, but you have 1 DC, and his AMC with 2 ST will destroy you. Your DL/DR have no one to mark.

I can always narrow the defensive line and do man coverage to mark the two strikers.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Famous
    Congrats on reaching the semi's of the cup and champions league. That's a very good accomplishment.

Regarding this formation, unfortunately there are several ways to exploit its weakpoints.

1. Lone DC. 3w defenders is vulnerable to 2/3 strikers setups.
    2. 2 DMC's. Go around the DMC's with ML/(A)ML and MR/(A)MR.

Formations that can do this while marking your AMC are, 4-1-3w-2, 3w-1-4-2, 3w-5-2 V. All of these formation are farely popular in this game. 3w-1-3w-3 is a less popular one that should work here to.

Formation that can bypass the DMC's and exploit the lone ST, while sacrificing a little defense are 4-4-2 classic, 4-4-2 hexagon, 3w-4-3, and 4-3w-3. 3w-5-2 flat is another that formation that should cause problems.
    Last edited by pcmacdaniel; 05-27-2015 at 01:50 AM.

Apprentice
    Quote Originally Posted by mmunger View Post
    I can always narrow the defensive line and do man coverage to mark the two strikers.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    When you narrow the defensive line, so he change to 4-5-1v, what do you think? That's not easy.

Rookie
    use a system with a full center midfielders.

Quote Originally Posted by Nikia View Post
    use a system with a full center midfielders.
    Yeah. I have experimented with formations this season and have understood the importance of having a lot of players in the MC, ML and MR line. I lost every game against semi-decent to good sides that had them. My previous focus was building a team with a real-life lineup, but that is not how Top Eleven works.

Making some changes to favour 4-4-2 has worked wonders, however...