Thread: Playing against a much higher rated team

Playing against a much higher rated team

Hi All - I'm in Season 12 and, if all goes as it should, I'll be facing a much higher rated team than mine in the Cup. I average about 77 and opponent is 83. But it gets worse! His average starter is a good 10 points above my average starter, and his lowest rated starter is 5 higher than my top player. His team is well balanced and always plays a 4-4-2. My strengths are one great striker, 3 strong attacking midfielders and 3 on central defense. Kinda weak in traditional midfield and outside backs. I like to play 3-5-2 (V) and 4-4-2, but I'm flexible!

So, any suggestions in formation and tactics? I can't decide between really hard attacking or playing defensive and hoping for a counter. Or maybe some formation that would be weird enough to confuse them? But I could be wrong on all three strategies!

I haven't run into this before, and am always interested in what the experts have to say! Thanks! Scott

His team:
    Playing against a much higher rated team-his-team.jpg

My team:
    Playing against a much higher rated team-my-team.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by bahamafc View Post
    Hi All - I'm in Season 12 and, if all goes as it should, I'll be facing a much higher rated team than mine in the Cup. I average about 77 and opponent is 83. But it gets worse! His average starter is a good 10 points above my average starter, and his lowest rated starter is 5 higher than my top player. His team is well balanced and always plays a 4-4-2. My strengths are one great striker, 3 strong attacking midfielders and 3 on central defense. Kinda weak in traditional midfield and outside backs. I like to play 3-5-2 (V) and 4-4-2, but I'm flexible!

So, any suggestions in formation and tactics? I can't decide between really hard attacking or playing defensive and hoping for a counter. Or maybe some formation that would be weird enough to confuse them? But I could be wrong on all three strategies!

I haven't run into this before, and am always interested in what the experts have to say! Thanks! Scott
    the two most recommended line up are 3N-4-1-2 OR 4-3W-1-2 both with attacking midfielder and 2 attackers

that is what i would do.

hope this helps and good luck
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Playing against a much higher rated team-settings.jpg  

I've had more success in this situation by using 4-5-1V, defensive/wings/long ball/counter, however, it is very much a case of set your stall out and pray...
    Any formation or tactics advice given is based purely on experience with my teams...

Thanks a ton to you both!

Greek Forum Moderator nikolgiorgos's Avatar
    4-5-1 V
    or 4-1-4-1
    defense, counters, flanks/mix
    pray to Lord nordeus to send him a nice troll
    Καλώς ήρθατε στο Ελληνικό φόρουμ
    http://forum.topeleven.com/%CE%93%CE...%B4%CE%B1.html

Thanks, it seems like the most consistent advice is to pray. Hey, whatever it takes!

What do you think about hard versus light tackling? I like the idea of hard tackling, but it seems like those high rated teams always get at least one goal from a free kick when you tackle hard.