Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By talisman

Thread: Nine of 22 pplayers have yellow cards, 12 days into the season

Nine of 22 pplayers have yellow cards, 12 days into the season

Just wondering: It's only 12 days into the season and already I have nine players with yellow card. All four MCs, 3 of 4 STs, an AMC and an ML/AML.

Been doing good this season so far. League: 9 wins, 1 draw, no losses. Cup: 5 wins, 1 draw, no losses. CL: 4 wins, 1 draw, no losses.

Been fielding the first players with yellow cards in games against stronger teams in the hope that they get another yellow card so they could rest the next game and start clean after that. But, it doesn't happen. Other players get the yellow cards instead.

I use defensive mentality most of the time, mixed focus and passing, high pressing, normal tackling, zonal marking with counter attacks but no offside trap. I change tactics occasionally, depending on the opposing formation, but that is my "default".

What do you think I need to change?

Nothing unusual there, with the tactics you are using, except using high pressing as a default tactic. 1st, it uses up condition faster, which makes the players slower into the tackle and more liable to foul, second the opposition get wise after a while and will start using long shots which tax your keeper into making mistakes.

I always start matches with low pressing until I've got the measure of the opposition - if they have fast forwards or start long shots early on, high pressing is a no-no. I only use high pressing if I'm in attack mode looking for a result - either I'm losing, it's a tactical shift to get an advantage, or to increase an advantage over a weaker team.
    Arion likes this.
    Any formation or tactics advice given is based purely on experience with my teams...