Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By Al Svanberg
  • 1 Post By nikolgiorgos

Thread: Defender attributes against fast attackers (speed or not?)???

Famous

Question Defender attributes against fast attackers (speed or not?)???

Hey everybody!

1st: What do you guys recommending against fast attacker(s)? man2man or zonal defending?

2nd: My opinion is simple: for example if you observing your DC speed attribute you can see it is greyed out, therefore he is using another defending skill when "rolling a speed check" against his attacker. Is it correct or not?
    2b: If we are excluding the possibility of our defender using his speed attribute then what he is using exactly? a simple tackling? and/or marking and/or anything else?

We are debating in our association what defender attribute(s) comes in handy against fast attackers? And also we are debating my speed question too!

Somebody clarify this please!

Thank you very much!

Apprentice
    A single attribute does not say anything in top eleven. If your opponents attackers are not good enough, in general speed will not help them. But if they are high quality I would recommend defensive mentality and zonal marking and, if your attackers are good also, combined with counter attacks. The speed attribute has a meaning in counter attacks or on man to man with the last defender situations. On those last ones you should have noticed that the attacking player throws the ball in front of him and tries to get in front of the defender. If he does that thats the first check. Many times the attacker gets past him but the defender catches up with him halfways and either tackles him effectively or pressures him to open his control and help the keeper catch the ball. These situations mostly happen when you play offense and your defending lines are up to the center of the pitch. If you play defensive game your defenders stay always behind the ball and those situations occur more rarely. So yes, you can play effectively against fast opponents if you stay behind the ball playing defensively and try to use your attackers pace and dribbling to surprise him with fast counter attacks. I hope I helped.

Στάλθηκε από το ZTE Blade A460 μου χρησιμοποιώντας Tapatalk

Apprentice
    Generally the defender uses all of his defending skills. Positioning gets him at the right place at the right time, making the attacker more hard to get an advantage point. Strength of course is useful against many situations such as aerial defending but also in man to man situations. Tackling and marking are of course mostly useful. I generally think that all abilities should be trained as equally as you can. I would also say that passing should be trained no matter if us not highlighted, useful to apply a more organized tactic. My opinion is that you should not rely on the defender to attacker comparison in order to get some safe results but the general advantages and disadvantages of the opponents players. I have faced so far many teams with excellent attackers but lacking the middle and defense lines and of course won. I see attack and midfield as a unity for an effective tactic.

Famous
    cmasaoutis!

Thank you very much for your complex reply! you have clarified almost my all questions

But we are debating still the classic middle defender speed att. when you playing >>>normal mentality<<< (my mate is playing only normal mentality in this case) ???

Apprentice
    As far as it is a highlighted ability for all your defenders, of course. Your defenders should be fast at any case, especially when you play attack and I would say normal too because you gave to avoid counter attacks. If you play defense the counter threat is less possible so the speed ability less crucial.

Apprentice
    Sorry, speed is not a highlighted ability for your DCs but I think it helps combined with positioning.

Dreamer
    Extremely interesting topic!

I have observed these issues very closely, and I have very few answers.

I have made some observations though. I have an attacker that has 260% in sped. It is a fairly new account at lvl 3 and often my opponent are downright weak. Still, he very rarely get away from defenders in foot races. 1 of 10 times maybe. Since many opponents has avg abilities of around 30-40%, he must have an edge of like 200% in speed at times, and sure he does great but you very rarely see him leave someone in the dust.

I think in whole, the biggest factor is the overall quality of your teams vs the team's you face. I think the engine works so that if you have a better team you get a lot of chances, different type of scenarios. In those scenarios a lot of abilities matter at different extents. each scenario can play out in a number of ways, if your player is good the odds for a successful outcome increase. In other soccer games I think it's different, like you have a striker that has speed 100 and a D with speed 50, if the D and the striker chases the same ball, the striker gets a breakaway. I don't think TE works like that. I think it's more like, let's say you have a 100% team and face a 60% opponent. Based upon formations and orders, you will get maybe 30 offensive situations and your opponent will get like 12. All scenarios maybe can have like maybe 4 different outcomes. Like let's say one scenario is that your winger has the ball:
    (i) The D can take the ball from him (very rare),
    (ii) he can manage to cross the ball and its cleared by the defender,
    (iii) he can cross the ball and the striker gets to it but miss the net/the ball is saved,
    (iv) he cross the ball and the striker scores.

If the winger and striker has like an avg of 150% in the abilities that matters, and the defenders has the avg ability of 75% int he abilities hat matters for him,, the odds of the different outcomes can maybe be something like this:
    (i) 1%
    (ii) 60%
    (iii) 29%
    (iv) 10%

The reason I think this is because what I have observed when I am playing but also when playing friendlies against -- much -- better teams. Like against teams with maybe ten times the ability of my team, if the game was mechanical the better players in those games would just blow past the Ds. That don't happen. Like a defender with a raw ability of 25 can still keep up with and successfully tackle a forward with the raw ability of 225.

With this said, I do think that how the ability is distributed matters a lot. I have like an AMC with 170% attacking ability that I've had for 3 years, you can tell that he handles offensive situations really well, and that he does it better now at age 21 then he did at age 19 even if his avg ability was as high when he was 19.
    Last edited by Al Svanberg; 09-04-2016 at 04:48 PM.
    LeManiaque likes this.

Greek Forum Moderator nikolgiorgos's Avatar
    Hi Gabez, long time to see you.
    My opinion (to make things more sinmple)
    a weaker (in all skills , not only in speed) defender would have a disadvantage playing m-m vs a good, fast attacker but as TE is a game and not real football, I would guess that m-m can be also or more effective as it gives a penalty in codition loss, so I believe it gives a + in his defensive actions.
    But all those are just theories as only devs know the truth and none of us can get a solid conclusion from the games.
    There are too many factors and different conditions in every match.
    LeManiaque likes this.
    Καλώς ήρθατε στο Ελληνικό φόρουμ
    http://forum.topeleven.com/%CE%93%CE...%B4%CE%B1.html

Famous
    Thank you guys!

:notworthy: