Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree5Likes

Thread: Champions League Help

Champions League Help

My opponent is using a 4-4-2 and I've been using a 4-1-2-1-2 narrow diamond with center passing and short passes. He's beaten me once in a friendly after going to pk's and he just beat me again for our first CL match.

I need other recommendations pronto.

Thanks,

Famous
    Quote Originally Posted by Matthew FC View Post
    My opponent is using a 4-4-2 and I've been using a 4-1-2-1-2 narrow diamond with center passing and short passes. He's beaten me once in a friendly after going to pk's and he just beat me again for our first CL match.

I need other recommendations pronto.

Thanks,
    Maybe either a 4-3w-1-2, 4-3w-2n-1 (X-Mas Tree).

For stuff other than formation:

If possible max all bonuses (morale, condition and win bonus). Being a KO round matchup, opposing managers tend to invest more (if they can) in these matches, compared to a mundane league match.

Do you have any players that have been in poor form or does he have players with extraordinary form, that could result in the narrow diamond being less effective than normal in this matchup?
    Level 40 Manager

Quote Originally Posted by pcmacdaniel View Post

If possible max all bonuses (morale, condition and win bonus). Being a KO round matchup, opposing managers tend to invest more (if they can) in these matches, compared to a mundane league match.

Do you have any players that have been in poor form or does he have players with extraordinary form, that could result in the narrow diamond being less effective than normal in this matchup?
    My team was fully rested and all morale was superb. As were his. My bonus's are maxed. I have the better team at 25.2 (4*) to his 21.9 (3*)

Quote Originally Posted by pcmacdaniel View Post

My team has been playing well until now. I'm thinking it's gotta be my formation settings

I'm seeing a 3-2-2-2-1 Butterfly as a possible counter. Anyone had any luck with this?

Champions League Help-butterfly_zpsf55f2c76.jpg

I'm seeing a 3-2-2-2-1 Butterfly as a possible counter. Anyone had any luck with this?

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	butterfly_zpsf55f2c76.jpg 
Views:	81 
Size:	31.4 KB 
ID:	51755
    Looks like you have the squad for it (no yellow triangles) - I tried with the Butterfly when I had the players (DML/R and AML/R) and didn't get on spectacularly well - but then was the situation I had, not yours at the moment. The only thing you can do is try it - plan out and have the relevant substitutions/player movements to hand just in case you need to switch to another formation if it all starts going pear-shaped in-game. A useful formation against 4-4-2 is 3N-4-1-2, which is just a couple of player switches and a sub away, if you have the appropriate multi-positional players.
    Sons of Pitches likes this.
    Any formation or tactics advice given is based purely on experience with my teams...

Quote Originally Posted by talisman View Post
    Looks like you have the squad for it (no yellow triangles) - I tried with the Butterfly when I had the players (DML/R and AML/R) and didn't get on spectacularly well - but then was the situation I had, not yours at the moment. The only thing you can do is try it - plan out and have the relevant substitutions/player movements to hand just in case you need to switch to another formation if it all starts going pear-shaped in-game. A useful formation against 4-4-2 is 3N-4-1-2, which is just a couple of player switches and a sub away, if you have the appropriate multi-positional players.
    sounds like some good advice. I'll give it a shot. The only thing that sucks is if i'm wrong then I'm out of the CL.

sounds like some good advice. I'll give it a shot. The only thing that sucks is if i'm wrong then I'm out of the CL.
    When it comes to these 'win or bust' matches, all you can do is take the options, make your decisions and let the players get on with it. Apart from formation and orders there's nothing more you can do until the match has ended.

Take a peek at the table in my signature - each of those seasons contained one or more of these 'what do I do?' situations - sometimes it led to a red box, others to a white one, but in each of them I gave it the best shot I could do in the situation that presented itself. You either make the right decision and succeed, the wrong one and fail, or you had the right idea but the game didn't go your way. Enjoy success, learn from mistakes, and if it goes wrong, there's always next time...

Yeah, it sucks to be in this situation - and it sucks if it doesn't come off - but we've all been there and will have a sympathetic ear if the worst does come. Good luck.
    Any formation or tactics advice given is based purely on experience with my teams...

I just played a friendly against him and used a 4-5-1 v formation and tied him in regular time and then beat him in PK's. Still not good enough. I'll try the butterfly later this evening.

Talisman gave me great advice against 4-4-2 using 4-5-1v. Ive always used 4-5-1v against 4-4-2 and never got the results I hoped for. Once reading Talisman's advice regarding orders and arrows, it actually helped alot.. When it comes to 4-4-2, I only use 4-5-1v...

Most of managers using 4-4-2, attack down the flanks (well all my opponents goals using 4-4-2 comes from the flanks)... So I took Talisman's advice and played defensive even though my quality was slightly higher. Played long balls with counter attack on. Red arrows on AML/R and blue arrows on DL/R. The blue arrows helped alot and stopped the attacks from the wings. He also said if nothing interesting happens in the match, take counter off and play mixed passing down the flanks (Defensive mentality).

Recent match against 4-4-2 with opponent not much weaker than me -

Champions League Help-442-counter.jpg
    10 League Titles
    7 League Runners Up
    1 Champions League Title
    4 Champions League Finalists
    1 Cup Title

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast