Thread: Any ideas how to counter 3N-1-4-2?

Any ideas how to counter 3N-1-4-2?

Was thinking 4-5-1V?
    F.C. United
    League Won 11
    League Runner up 4
    Cup Won 3
    Cup Finalist 3
    Champions League Won 5
    Champions League Finalist 9

Season 23 Level 23

United Til I Die
    League Won 12
    League Runner Up 4
    Champions League Won 2
    Champions League Finalist 7
    Cups Won 1
    Cup Finalist 2

Season 32 Level 27 (Retired)

4-5-1V is what the "Table of Counter Formations" stickie thread says to play. I just finished a Champions League match against an opponent with exactly the same level as me (57.6 v 57.6). he played 3N-1-4-2 and I followed the thread's advice and countered with 4-5-1V. I was a spectator throughout and he was not present. I led in possession 53-47, but he outshot me 17(10)-6(3) and had 7 corners to my one. I was CRUSHED 5-1. he was home team also.

I am not saying based on one game that 4-5-1V is ineffective v 3N-1-4-2. All I am saying is it sure didn't work for me just now.

I played attacking, mixed/mixed, whole pitch, normal tackling, zonal, offside trap.

When I play this formation next time I think I am going to try something different, that was a disaster!

Quote Originally Posted by PabloSanDiego View Post
    4-5-1V is what the "Table of Counter Formations" stickie thread says to play. I just finished a Champions League match against an opponent with exactly the same level as me (57.6 v 57.6). he played 3N-1-4-2 and I followed the thread's advice and countered with 4-5-1V. I was a spectator throughout and he was not present. I led in possession 53-47, but he outshot me 17(10)-6(3) and had 7 corners to my one. I was CRUSHED 5-1. he was home team also.

I am not saying based on one game that 4-5-1V is ineffective v 3N-1-4-2. All I am saying is it sure didn't work for me just now.

I played attacking, mixed/mixed, whole pitch, normal tackling, zonal, offside trap.

When I play this formation next time I think I am going to try something different, that was a disaster!
    Playing attacking vs an equal team on away grounds is already a bad choiche. Same goes for the offside trap. If not stronger, normal or defensive mentality are godo choiches, expecially vs offensive setups like 3-1-4-2.

3-4-2-1 should be a good enough counter as of:

DC DC DC
    MR MC MC ML
    AMC AMC
    ST

which should grant an AMC superiority against their DMC.

3-2-3-2 or 3-2-2-2-1 might be good aswell.

I was thinking about 3-5-2V but went for the 4-5-1V and I won 2-0
    F.C. United
    League Won 11
    League Runner up 4
    Cup Won 3
    Cup Finalist 3
    Champions League Won 5
    Champions League Finalist 9

Season 23 Level 23

United Til I Die
    League Won 12
    League Runner Up 4
    Champions League Won 2
    Champions League Finalist 7
    Cups Won 1
    Cup Finalist 2

Season 32 Level 27 (Retired)

Quote Originally Posted by Morgan O'Bree View Post
    Playing attacking vs an equal team on away grounds is already a bad choiche. Same goes for the offside trap. If not stronger, normal or defensive mentality are godo choiches, expecially vs offensive setups like 3-1-4-2.
    Thanks Morgan, good advice that I will heed in the future. When playing Defensive do you recommend to always play "Force Counterattcks", or sometimes not?