Thread: Against 4-3-2-1 Christmas tree

Rookie

Against 4-3-2-1 Christmas tree

Playing in CL 2nd leg, lost 2-0 at home.......need to win by a 2 goal margin now....

Against

ST
    AMC AMC
    ML MC MR
    DL DC DC DR

I am thinkin to play.....

ST ST
    AMC
    MC
    DMC DMC
    DL DC DC DR

Hard attacking, thru the middle.......

Any suggestion? Thanks

Apprentice
    Is the opponent much stronger than you? I would maybe recommend the formation below with zonal marking:

--------ST----------
    ----AMC---AMC-----
    ----MC-----MC------
    ----DMC---DMC------
    DL------DC------DR--

Rookie
    My opponent and I have similar number of star in average, but he has better AMC

Your formation offers more players in the midfield, is it the idea to gain possession? thz

Quote Originally Posted by Aaron Ramsey Tiong View Post
    Is the opponent much stronger than you? I would maybe recommend the formation below with zonal marking:

--------ST----------
    ----AMC---AMC-----
    ----MC-----MC------
    ----DMC---DMC------
    DL------DC------DR--
    Playing this formation, wouldn't he be penalised for an illegal formation (ie: no wide players)?

Rookie
    DL DR count as wide players??

The Christmas tree is a very good attacking formation, picture the formation in it's full attack phase, his DL/DR MR/ML will be motivated.
    So it becomes, 2-3-4-1 and that is if his DL&DR are not blocked, in defence the whole pyramid floats backwards into a very strong defensive unit attacking it through the centre will be difficult.
    IMO the way to crack this system open is to let him attack you he has no DM players so once committed to attack there is a huge gap between his MF and defence which if you are quick enough will consist of two players at best, this is where to exploit it's weakness
    I would use.
    3-6-1

------DC--DC--DC
    -----DML---- -DMR
    MR----------------------ML
    ------AMR------AML
    ------------ST

Block his MR/ML feeding his AMC and you stop his game. His lone MC is picked of by either the spare DMC or the DC.
    Your AM stop his DR/DL attacking you.
    AS I said I'd go defensive and hit him on the counter with long balls through the centre, but six MF players also gives you good possession if you want to play through him with short passing.
    Last edited by Accyrover; 12-11-2012 at 11:27 PM.
    Level 1,2,3,4,5,6 League winners

Level 1,2,3,5 CL Winners

Level 4 CL runner up.

Level 2,3,4 Cup winners

P267 W244 D2 L11 GF1024 GA91

Apprentice
    Quote Originally Posted by mountaincat View Post
    My opponent and I have similar number of star in average, but he has better AMC

Your formation offers more players in the midfield, is it the idea to gain possession? thz
    I suggested that formation based on two parts: the defensive 5-7 players to triple mark all his attacking players zonally, and the attacking 3 to best attack his defence.

Rookie
    Quote Originally Posted by Aaron Ramsey Tiong View Post
    I suggested that formation based on two parts: the defensive 5-7 players to triple mark all his attacking players zonally, and the attacking 3 to best attack his defence.
    so should I attack thru the middle, with short pass?

Apprentice
    I used AMCs because you wanted to attack through the middle, but you can also use AML and AMR if you want to attack down the wings. I don't know about passing because mine is always on mixed, unless I'm playing a counter attacking game, then I'll play long passes.
    God Bless!