Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By El Pistolero
  • 1 Post By El Pistolero

Thread: how to beat awkward 4-2-3-1 formation

how to beat awkward 4-2-3-1 formation

how to beat this awkward formation
    playing top team in league tomorrow and need a win, he is as good as me
    but changed his formation to more defensive knowing a draw can seal title for him
    he opted for
    RB...CB...CB...CB.........
    .........DMC..........DML.
    RM...CM...CM..............
    ..........ST..................

he has scouts in ST, DML, DMC, so my guess he rely on closing up the back and scoring from long ball in counter to his great ST

i was hesitating between 442 or 3142 or 3-2W-2-2W-1 i want to avoid attacking from mid bzc of his super DMC
    am tempted to use 2 STs as he had put 3 CBs at back , but not sure if 1ST with 2 AML/AMR is better attacking in flanks .. my flanks are far better than his

so any suggestion ?
    my team @ http://forum.topeleven.com/team-show...ears-fc-2.html
    League : winner (S1, S2, S3, S6, S7) , runner up (S4*, S5*) * was in holiday away
    CL: Winner (S4, S7), runner up (S2, S3, S5, S6)
    Cup: Winner (S3)

That is a strange formation.

My guess would to play 4-4-2 normal mentality, both flanks, own half, normal tackling, long passing, zonal and maybe counter.

I must warn you, I have never come up against that formation but my goal would be to get the ball up to my 2 strikers as quick as possible, hopefully, getting a few through balls through that great wall of china.
    Last edited by El Pistolero; 04-22-2013 at 01:04 AM.
    diamondya likes this.

You say your flanks are far better, that's his weakness.

Quote Originally Posted by El Pistolero View Post

My guess would to play 4-4-2 normal mentality, both flanks, own half, normal tackling, long passing, zonal and maybe counter.

I must warn you, I have never come up against that formation but my goal would be to get the ball up to my 2 strikers as quick as possible, hopefully, getting a few through balls through that great wall of china.
    You say your flanks are far better, that's his weakness.
    cheers for the reply .. yeahh 442 is what in my head too .. problem is am worried to lose mid battle as he will be having 5 and me 4
    he is my mate, and we read each other game
    not sure which is one is better long ball or short ball as back will be too crowded for long balls
    yeah my wingers are better, but not that much better , is like 50X45 and 44X38 .. this my other worry, if i pass to flanks, then we are not sending long balls to strikers, aren't we?
    League : winner (S1, S2, S3, S6, S7) , runner up (S4*, S5*) * was in holiday away

Rookie

I agree, 442 is the most solid formation vs your rival

yepp .. the more i think of it .. seem the best solution
    his striker is so good , he always hit me on counter in first 2 minutes .. need to start with 4 at back definitely

now what is best orders then for 442?
    - long ball or short or mix? as his half will be crowded with his defenders and will ahte losing possession allowing him to build up counter attacks

- counter or not?

- both flanks or mixed or center? am tempted to both flanks to neutralize his great DMC, meanwhile i want ball to reach my 2 STs more, and it make more sense to focus on center

He's solid in the centre so the obvious thing to do is attack his wings. Long passing counts for through balls, over the top balls and balls in the air. Short passing is ok but it might take too long to create a chance as he's got lots of players in defence, the ball will reach your strikers, no matter what. Imagine your right back passes to your right mid in space and your right mid crosses high onto your strikers head. Yes, you wont win the possession battle, but you may be able to beat him with fast attacks. Force counter means you'll sit back until the opposition comes into your own half and you intercept and get the ball up as fast as possible.
    shwanko07 likes this.

hmm interesting .. last season i failed to beat at home and it cost me the title despite beating him away 3-0 .. hope this year will be different, i was off for long holiday and he build up 2 points margin over me
    crossing fingers it will work ..cheers for all the advices