Thread: 4-5-1

4-5-1

I always had problems with 4-5-1 Flat. 3-5-2 flat gave me awful result. 4-5-1V did not give me any comfort. We had equal game with 3-3 shots on goal. But suddenly my DMC gets yellow card and I decided to substitute it with MC on 68th minute and change tactics to defensive with counters.
    DL--DC----DC--DR
    ------------------
    ----MC-MC-MC---
    AML----------AMR
    --------ST-------

Terrific change in game. Shots on goal 3-11 after 68th minute. And I scored 3 goals within 7 minutes.
    My opponent did not have no injuries, no illegal formation. The only change was my DMC out and my MC in. And my DMC was stronger than new MC.

I need help with this too. Any advice?!?

Try 4-4-2 or 3N-1-3W-1-2

Does he have a strong ST?
    Do you have strong midfield?

You may want to play actually the same, 4-5-1 (or 4-3-3 which is almost the same formation in terms of shape, in real life). Top Eleven is 85% about ball possession and 4-5-1 gives a lot of that.
    I believe you'll probably need to play with fullbacks to mark his wingers (if you believe they are strong), so 4 at defense. put 4 or 5 at midfield to balance possession and maybe 1 amc + your ST.
    Otherwise, maybe consider a 3-6-1, with 1 DMC and 1 AMC. This formation will also give you ball possession, DMC theoretically adds extra man when you're defending (so you won't be outnumbered) and if you avoid being attacked down both flanks then you'll have a decent match.
    Press only on your own half (there's no point to press full pitch in such a crowded enemy pitch unless you normally play a very attacking formation), with a normal/attacking mentality and short/mixed passes.

Alternatively, 3-5-2 (or 3-4-1-2). The extra attacker is always a threat in a straight 4 defenders line. He'll have to use a DMC if he knows any elementary tactics, or 3 defenders and move his fullbacks a bit forward (to DML/DMR). If so, you can push more with an extra AMC.

Last, consider to use your current formation, as you normally do. I don't think 4-5-1 is in any way "tricky". It's used by weaker sides to outnumber midfield and defend hard and to facilitate on strong midfielders+ a very strong ST to make things happen offensively.

PS keep in mind, you don't play vs formations. You play vs teams. When you play against someone it's not (eg) 4-4-2 diamond vs 4-3-3, it's Team A vs Team B. Look at his players, highlight the strong threats and try to neutralize them. If he has no strong midfield, even if he puts 11 players there he will be still weak. If he has not got a very good ST then don't even bother to think any short of counter; he'll suck.

Dreamer
    maybe u have to try 4-5-1V form, play normal, mixed pass, press own half, use counter attack
    red arrow on dl/dr, aml/amr and st, blue arrow to 2dc and dmc

Thank you! I'm fortunate to have 2 players available for each position possible except for DML and DMR.

Thanks! Let's hope for a good result now!

4-3N-3. I use this and beat them 4-1