Thread: Advice for countering significantly better opponent?

Advice for countering significantly better opponent?

Playing a league match tomorrow, and my opponent has a full roster of players at 9 stars. He is definitely a spender. He appears to be using a 4-2-2-2 hexagon, for which I would normally counter with 4-3w-1-2, with my wide mids playing defensive. But every single player he has is significantly better than mine.

Beyond stacking the defense, using defensive bonus, and basically trying to limit the goal differential, any tips or ideas on how to keep this close? I'm thinking 5 defenders (or 4 and a DMC all the way back, though I feel like that's a waste), play hard defending and rely on counters to try and snag a goal?

Open to any ideas here, I hate to give up before the game is played but this guy is managing with his credit card.

Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by BillyRayRS View Post
    Playing a league match tomorrow, and my opponent has a full roster of players at 9 stars. He is definitely a spender. He appears to be using a 4-2-2-2 hexagon, for which I would normally counter with 4-3w-1-2, with my wide mids playing defensive. But every single player he has is significantly better than mine.

Beyond stacking the defense, using defensive bonus, and basically trying to limit the goal differential, any tips or ideas on how to keep this close? I'm thinking 5 defenders (or 4 and a DMC all the way back, though I feel like that's a waste), play hard defending and rely on counters to try and snag a goal?

Open to any ideas here, I hate to give up before the game is played but this guy is managing with his credit card.
    Exactly the same solution 5-1-3-1 with the other thread, except that fullbacks at default positions to man-mark wingers, plus AMC pulled back to close to MC region to maximise midfield control to compensate quality disadvantage. Pulling 2 of 3 DCs closer to DL & DR region to support fullbacks would be safer, with extra support from DMC. Midfield standard 3v2, and main scorer expected to be AMC via counter.

Advice for countering significantly better opponent?-8396b66b-b43c-44eb-a0e6-5774cc882da2.png
    Defensive (Hard defensive in last 10-15 mins if still drawing). Short or mixed. Counter on. Via middle. Can consider high press in 2nd half if still drawing and hope for a result with extra conditions spent.
    Winning is a form of art. Consistently winning is a show-hand of skills and luck.

Ultimately, we were just overmatched. Loss 0-4. Two of those goals came after I had a player sent off unfortunately. Only 3 shots on frame, and lost the possession battle 58%-42%. Hard-fought, but we'll move on. Thanks for the advice, Heavens AAA!

Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by BillyRayRS View Post
    Ultimately, we were just overmatched. Loss 0-4. Two of those goals came after I had a player sent off unfortunately. Only 3 shots on frame, and lost the possession battle 58%-42%. Hard-fought, but we'll move on. Thanks for the advice, Heavens AAA!
    Sorry for the loss. Seems there is a huge quality gap (defensive counter to concentrate on possession base is still only 42/58, which means a 10% or even 20% quality difference there).

Wish you all the best for the rest of season!
    Winning is a form of art. Consistently winning is a show-hand of skills and luck.

At the time, he was 164% (56.0) and I was 113% (43.5). So far, nobody else in the league has done any better against him, so I can't be too upset.