Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: Out of position - How bad is it?

Rookie

Out of position - How bad is it?

I'm reasonably new to Top11, but I've got a bit of a predicament.

Generally my team has better players than my opposition, but I've got the handicap of not having as much depth and coverage of positions, and want to find the best way to overcome that (Without resorting to my credit card lol, as it'd seem a bit unfair unless others were doing the same, which probably isn't the case at lvl 1)

One of the best players in my team only plays DML, which is ok and I have adjusted my formations a little to take that into account.

If I move him to DMC or ML, will it effect his playing ability much? I'd like to play him at DMC, so I can do a 3-1-2-1-2 small diamond formation, or possibly to ML so that I can use 4-4-2.

As I want to get something to combat the 4-4-2 formation, currently I've been using a 3-2-2-1-2 formation, although that hasn't been working well for me.

The player is lvl 24, when playing vs 4-4-2 would I be better off to:

a) Play him at DMC/ML and run the formation I want.
    b) Play him at DML and set a DC (lvl16-19) on red arrows when I want to use 4-1-2-1-2, or play him at ML with a red arrow when I want to use 4-4-2 (I'm not sure if this pushes them to attack, or to simply "move forward" half a square? If it's forward half a square, I figure this might be a semi effective cover?)
    c) Put him on the bench and buy a lvl 14 DMC or ML.

Pro
    I would rather play a formation that looks a bit odd than have an out of position player or a really bad player in the lineup.

I used a player out of position in CL semi 2nd leg and the final last season to great effect, have been doing it this season too.It depends I guess on each player if they are to play well or at least ok out of his comfort zone.
    Cat Harrison likes this.
    LEDDY FC Level 7
    HONOURS
    League Champions 5 times (undefeated season 2 and 6) Runners Up x 1 grrr
    Cup Winners Season 5 (Wembley Stadium)
    Champions league Winners season 5 (Float Marina Singapore)(Cup Double)
    Champions league Winners season 4 (Joy at The Nou Camp )(League and CL Double)
    Champions League Finalist season 2 (The Amsterdam Arena Spud Gun/Helmet Cheese Penalty fiasco )

Rookie
    You'll get a slight possession penalty (5%ish?) but that's usually worth it if it means playing a strong player/proper formation. Also a good way to deal with injuries.

Not bad at all. I play a DMR/MR on a AMR position on my 1th account and believe it or not - he is playing and performing much better then in a DMR/MR position.
    PROUD MANAGER OF...
    ____________________***______________________

Quote Originally Posted by Maranwe View Post
    You'll get a slight possession penalty (5%ish?)
    I've seen this claim made a few times but have never seen any evidence to back it up.
    ~^~*~^~ My opinions are best when taken with a grain of salt. No iodine added. ~^~*~^~

In fact, I got bored enough to test it out ..

Out of position - How bad is it?-test1half.jpg
    1st half stats

Out of position - How bad is it?-test1halflineup.jpg
    1st half lineup

Out of position - How bad is it?-testsub.jpg
    Substitution effected 58' (GK in for DC)

Out of position - How bad is it?-test2halfstats.jpg
    End game stats

Out of position - How bad is it?-test2halflineup.jpg
    Lineup from 58' on, with a GK playing DC

Doesn't look to me as if there's any possession penalty for out of position.

I played 2 seasons with an MC at AMC and he led my league in goals and rating.
    ~^~*~^~ My opinions are best when taken with a grain of salt. No iodine added. ~^~*~^~

Note: I'm tanking this season, which is why morale and condition are hammered, they wouldn't be that way in a normal season.

Rookie
    Thanks guys for the input, I ended up running him out of position at DMC, and I ran a 4-1-2-1-2 vs 4-4-2. I had 75% possession (incld +3% for away but watching game) but wasn't converting it into goals (only 1:0 up at half time), so swapped him out for an extra striker at 58', ended up winning 5:0.

The player only got a rating of 7, so not his best game, and I defintiely didn't get a possession penalty, so I don't think playing him out of position handicapped me at all.

Although it's difficult to tell, since I did dominate on possession, so my DMC probably didn't get much of a chance to even play in the position I'd put him in. Which would explain why goals started to flow freely once I put in an extra striker.

Generally all of my players were quite a bit better than theirs though (around 3 skill lvls), so anything from this game needs to be taken with a pinch of salt.

Rookie
    Quote Originally Posted by Razz View Post
    In fact, I got bored enough to test it out ..

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Test1half.jpg 
Views:	127 
Size:	98.1 KB 
ID:	11827
    1st half stats

Name:	Test1halfLineup.jpg 
Views:	112 
Size:	101.2 KB 
ID:	11828
    1st half lineup

Name:	TestSUB.jpg 
Views:	109 
Size:	91.1 KB 
ID:	11829
    Substitution effected 58' (GK in for DC)

Name:	Test2HalfStats.jpg 
Views:	106 
Size:	95.9 KB 
ID:	11830
    End game stats

Name:	Test2HalfLineup.jpg 
Views:	102 
Size:	99.8 KB 
ID:	11831
    Lineup from 58' on, with a GK playing DC

Doesn't look to me as if there's any possession penalty for out of position.

I played 2 seasons with an MC at AMC and he led my league in goals and rating.
    I think that's not the opponent that should be compared

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast