Like Tree4Likes
  • 1 Post By TypTex
  • 2 Post By dv8r
  • 1 Post By Dman2pt

Thread: How do YOU use substitutes?

How do YOU use substitutes?

Just curious as to how each of you make use of substitutes during a match. As we can only claim one pack for making changes (irrespective of how many), I usually only make 1 (or very rarely 2), and then only towards the end of the match, unless injuries dictate otherwise. But I see so many players making 3 substitutions all at once, and quite often at halftime. I think this is very risky. I was watching a game last night, when the home team changed 3 players at the break. Then within a minute they had a player sent off, followed by an injury just on the hour. Obviously, with the red card they were a man down for the whole of the second half, plus they had already used all their subs, so couldn't replace the injured man, therefore leaving them with 9 players for the last half hour. I always keep at least one substitution in hand in case of such circumstances.
    LONDON CITY

Olympic Stadium...East London

Season 47...........Manager Level 33

Apprentice
    I sub any player that receives a yellow card immediatley.
    If i'm not winning, and i don't see the name of a player in the comments, and he usualy is there, i sub him.
    And i also sub, if i have to change the formation, and don't have the right player on the field.
    I always leave a sub untill the 81 minute, and then i make the 3rd sub, usualy subbing the good players, so no troll injuries happen in the 89th minute.

Dreamer
    I normally bring on a couple of subs at around 60 minutes, and nearly always attacking players. I go by the logic that these players will be fresher and more able to make an impact in the final third of the game. Sometimes it seems to make a difference, sometimes not, but I do think the possession bar seems to go more in my favour for a while after I've made the subs. I mostly make a third sub late in the game, for a very tired player or a carded player.I hardly ever change the defensive players though, way to risky.
    festinator likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Eugen Cristea View Post
    I sub any player that receives a yellow card immediatley.
    If i'm not winning, and i don't see the name of a player in the comments, and he usualy is there, i sub him.
    And i also sub, if i have to change the formation, and don't have the right player on the field.
    I always leave a sub untill the 81 minute, and then i make the 3rd sub, usualy subbing the good players, so no troll injuries happen in the 89th minute.
    Similar to how I do it. I usually sub off anyone who has a yellow card, though maybe not instantly, if they get it in the first half I wait until half time. If they get it in the 2nd half I take them off straight away. If my opponent is really tough I try not to make 3 subs because usually I end up conceding. I just tend to replace 1 player who isn't playing well and throw on another striker or an extra defender depending on the situation.
    ThichDaBongFC and Raykco like this.

Season 15 - Level 15

League Winners (14) - Levels 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14
    26-0-0 league (4) - Levels 3, 4, 7 & 8
    Undefeated in league (11) - Levels 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 10, 12, 13, 14
    Cup winners (2) - Level 1 & 14
    Cup 3rd place (1) - Level 12
    Champions League Winners (10) - Levels 2, 3, 4, 5, 7, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14
    Champions League Runners up(1) - Level 9

>My team<

I've talked about my form to manage in another post;
    1- if I don't see the name of one player during a match (usually MC's, and ST's as a 2nd option) I change this near the minute 55-60
    2- If one ST, as a first option, (MC as a second but not always), do lots of shoots, and fail all, I change this player too in the 60' aprox.
    The 3rd substitute is used near the minute 80, if I win, I try to protect my better player of an injury.

Depends on how the game is going and what platform I am on. Normally if I am on my mobile the only subs I do are players that have been booked, or the keeper to qualify for my pack.

If I am 2 or 3 up by half time or after about 60 mins I sub off my best players and put my weak ones on. If I am only just winning then I will make a sub taking off my least fit players for the fittest ones on my bench.

I often play between a 4-4-1-1 and a 4-4-2. If I am trailing or wanting to score from a draw I will change the 4-4-1-1 to a 4-4-2 bringing on a second striker. If Im 4-4-2 then I take off both wingers, put an extra MC and ST on to make it 4-3-3.

I always set up my bench that I can easily move to playing 3 at the back, with 5 in midfield if needed and also so that I can revert to a 4-4-2 Diamond quickly if needed too.

I will always look to sub a booked player, although not until at least half time. The exception to this is if its a strong player in a game I am chasing with a much weaker or unfit player on the bench.

If I am on my phone then I will only make changes as needed, but if I am on my computer I will always try to use all 3, but always keep my last sub for the last 15 mins or so.
    Last edited by kynan; 12-16-2013 at 01:50 AM.

Barring injuries or a player getting overly tired, if I'm winning all my subs come in the 80th minute. If I'm losing, then i'll sub players that aren't doing well and If I wanna change formation I'll sub players needed for the new formation. I never sub in the first half unless theres an injury.
    LIONS FC

Level 10, Season 10

S1- L: 2nd, Cup: 3rd
    S2- L: 2nd, Cup: 3rd, CL: 3rd
    S3- L: 4th, Cup: 2nd round, CL: R16
    S4- L: 1st, Cup: Quarter finals, CL: Quarter finals
    S5- L: 2nd, Cup: Playoffs, CL: Quarter finals
    S6- L: 3rd, Cup: Quarter finals, CL: Quarter finals.
    S7- L: 1st, Cup: Winners, CL: 3rd
    S8- L: 1st, Cup: Runners up, CL: Winners
    S9- L: 1st, Cup: Runners up, CL: R16

Even i used to sub when a player name use to not come up in the commentary(that is if he was an attacking player) or if anyone missed more than 1 one on one chances. In important matches where i used to be playing my best 11, i used to substitute at the 85th minute mark only if i was winning comfortably(only for the sake of that 1 green)

Unless i have a injury i start to make substitutions After the 60th minute, unless i am losing hard and whant to change formation, but i normally wait until the half time.
    my subs are normaly my wingers, my ST If they are missing a lot or If the game is already won, my MCs If i am playing a strong opponent and whant to control the midfield with fresh players.
    If the game is very balanced, but i am winning i wait until the 85th, just to gaine the green.
    Raykco likes this.
    THIS GAME IS TO RANDOM! I STOP WAISTING MY TIME!