Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree14Likes

Thread: Counter Formations

Rookie

Counter Formations

Who on earth wrote that guide?

I have used it 3 times and, on each occasion, had my rear-end handed to me. I just lost a league game 7-0.....at home.....against a slightly better rated opponent using a supposed counter formation.

Why does this game throw up so many 6-0/ 7-0 results etc? Not very realistic.......

Banned
    Just stick to a formation for the whole season...There is nothing such as COUNTER FORMATION in this game...Do not change your formation every game in order to play a counter formation...

Rookie
    Quote Originally Posted by Siddharth Shanker Singh View Post
    Just stick to a formation for the whole season...There is nothing such as COUNTER FORMATION in this game...Do not change your formation every game in order to play a counter formation...
    I had religiously used 4-4-2, bar a couple of tests........Only changed yesterday after losing to a silly, lopsided formation.

I think formations matter to some degree, perhaps not as much as you'ld expect. I am not convinced counters give you an edge at all if you're fielding a weaker team. Fielding your strongest, no matter what formation might be best after all. What I do look for in even matches, is pairing my best/fastest defenders with the opp's strongest ST. And sometimes I might play a lone ST to the left/right, depending on speed/quality of my opp's. defenders. I usually have a generic 3n-1-4-2 from which it is very easy to change to most formations with minor adjustments.

For imortant matches or vs strong teams, I use the countertable sometimes as a reference, and check if I can follow the reasoning behind it. Then I choose a formation that suits me best exploiting the same weaknesses. If anything, look for more recent topics. Some counters work for one team, but won't for another. And it can change with every season, as it has for me. Some have been working like a charm for me for a while though, like 4-1-4-1 against 4-3-3.

edit in: I vote for 4-4-2 as the best universal counter.
    Last edited by fugazi; 02-19-2014 at 11:15 AM.
    Cat Harrison likes this.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Dollyplops View Post
    I had religiously used 4-4-2, bar a couple of tests........Only changed yesterday after losing to a silly, lopsided formation.
    Stick to it...It will pay you dividend in the long run...
    fugazi likes this.

I have used it 3 times and, on each occasion, had my rear-end handed to me. I just lost a league game 7-0.....at home.....against a slightly better rated opponent using a supposed counter formation.

Why does this game throw up so many 6-0/ 7-0 results etc? Not very realistic.......
    I came up with the original counter formations thread, but deleted it due to forum trolls and also the fact that many formations were becoming less effective than around 10 seasons or so ago, I expect that users following the counter formations should have a success rate of around 70%, It did help, but not always.
    *Retired From Top Eleven*

And thank you for that 7-4th . There's just more variables then just a formation, you should use it as a guideline, not as fact. There's usually more formations that will exploit the same weaknesses.
    July Fourth and Mo Meow Odom like this.

Quote Originally Posted by July Fourth View Post
    I came up with the original counter formations thread, but deleted it due to forum trolls and also the fact that many formations were becoming less effective than around 10 seasons or so ago, I expect that users following the counter formations should have a success rate of around 70%, It did help, but not always.
    And I have used the guide several times, so thank you July !!!!!!!!! It does say it's not a guarantee for winning but It does give you a great chance with the correct tactics etc .. There are many factors when choosing a formation and tactics together !!!!

If you want to come up with a better guide Dollyplops please feel free to do so !!!! but I think on occasions when I need it I will stay with the experienced July's hun

Well they did not work, bad luck. I think if they didn't, nothing would have as I believe results are same whatsoever and have started to believe that there is nothing such as Counter Formation, I counter others just for the sake of it........
    Well, nobody forced u to use it. July made the original and Incredipede continued it to help us, thbspent the valuable time on it, so we should value it..... Ya, as Mo said, u find a better one, please tell us, but till then, let's respect what we have and who gave it to us. U don't like it, make ur own counter formations, its easy to think of them

Should Kaka' have been selected for Brazil's WC squad?
    Tell us ur opinion-

http://forum.topeleven.com/football-...-new-post.html

P.S.S The person in my avatar is NOT me! He is the God of Cricket, Sachin Tendulkar.

Rookie
    Didn't mean to cause offence, guys.

I don't think there is necessarily anything wrong with the guide...... I think it is just the game itself in all honesty.

People mentioned creating my own guide......how could I do that after what I have witnessed? Many of you saw my thread yesterday regarding playing down the left flank. You use logic/credible tactics and you get caught out by silly formations, without the guy you focus your attack toward even being mentioned in 180mins of play! You can't apply logic, certainly not in a football sense, to this game. Not like any other I have played. It is far too random and illogical.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast