Like Tree2Likes
  • 2 Post By Skidz

Thread: 3 Defenders

5/4 Street of El Manana, 19-2000 Melancholy Hill, Plastic Beach.

3 Defenders

Can 3 defenders block any number of strikers (2 or 3)?
    Can they also block wingers if i play them wide (dl:dc:dr)?
    Do DML/DMR do the same job as dl/dr?

I'm asking this because i like the idea of filling the opponent's half with my midfielders but i'm worried that my defence would not be as solid as it should. Thanks

Always play 4 defenders...
    Sometimes you should even play 5 defenders.
    For me 3 defenders is just very bad. I bet you use a formation like 4-5-1 V so you have a lot of players for attack but really less for defence.
    You can easily be beaten this way especially from counter attacks.
    After all it is your team,so you manage it. But I think this way is better
    Last edited by Christian Christiansen; 05-01-2014 at 01:16 PM.

I will try to beat you with 4-1-2-1-2 Narrow Diamond Formation

The rule of thumb usually is to have 2 defenders for each ST the opponent uses, and 1 defender or defensive mid for each AM they use. so against a 4-5-1 v style, with 1 ST and 2 wingers, the 1 ST is marked by 2 DC and each winger has a DL/R. as for DML/R, most people use them to attack the flanks, so they have red arrows on them, meaning they are more midfield based then defense

Scarborough, North Yorkshire, United Kingdom
    3 defenders is perfectly fine if you play with a DMC and 3 or 4 midfileders, it works best with 3w-1-4-2 formation(DL.DC.DC.DR.DMC.ML.MC.DC.MR.ST.ST). This then gives you the option to change to 4 defenders later during the match if you deem it necessary!, in which case you then take off a MC or ST and revert to a 4-1-4-1 or 4-1-3w-2 formation., you are talking to the right person here as Ive been playing 3 defenders for the last 8 seasons!.
    Emiron Josepha and Bogdalinho like this.
    x 17 x 5 x 1

Double winners x 5 , Treble x 1 ...Perfect league wins 26/26 x 1 (L8).
    Every comment I make on this forum is based on my own experiences and so should be taken as such!.

Quote Originally Posted by Skidz View Post
    3 defenders is perfectly fine if you play with a DMC and 3 or 4 midfileders, it works best with 3w-1-4-2 formation(DL.DC.DC.DR.DMC.ML.MC.DC.MR.ST.ST). This then gives you the option to change to 4 defenders later during the match if you deem it necessary!, in which case you then take off a MC or ST and revert to a 4-1-4-1 or 4-1-3w-2 formation., you are talking to the right person here as Ive been playing 3 defenders for the last 8 seasons!.
    With a DMC 3 defenders could be good.
    I never used 3 defenders before. Ijust think less in attack is better than less in defence

I will try to beat you with 4-1-2-1-2 Narrow Diamond Formation

I always play 3-4-1-2
    I like 3 defensive formations and I have positive results.
    I think 3 defenders can block every kind of attack, but I'm not confident when the opponents plays wingers.
    In that case i switch to 4 defenders

My team A a Z FC played all games of there historys (10seasons) with 3 defenders, and they won there only title at level 8 undefeated.

3 defenders can be efective, depending of the stronguest of your midfield players.
    THIS GAME IS TO RANDOM! I STOP WAISTING MY TIME!

3DC + 1DMC works perfectly fine even against 3 STs...heading to the league title playing this formation this season playing this formation and last season won the league with another team with this formation as well.
    Go Leo L24 Farmer ---

Very Athletic L20 (Semi-Retired) --- Real Messy L16 (Retired) --- Athletic Kuching L17 --- Los Galaxy L14 28T

5/4 Street of El Manana, 19-2000 Melancholy Hill, Plastic Beach.
    Sorry for the late reply. I think i want to try skidz's wide back formation this season. In the recent league, my team finished at 5th place. It was a very tough league with many active managers and 2-3 token buyers. I won most of my games with 3-1-4-2 total madness (by marco brown). But always lost to the top 3 teams. I also got knocked out of cl and cup. I think that was the worst season for my team because i'm not used to stick with one formation only. I used to change it every game. But i want to give it a try in this new season and hopefully i can win trophies like i did in my first and second season.

Back to the topic,
    with the 3 wide defenders, if i put a blue arrow on my central dc, will he play as a sweeper?

I always play with a blue arrow on my DC and it shows in the commentary every game he regularly gets a tackle in and blocks shots.I also play with three defenders and a DMC and in 9 seasons i've only conceeded 3 goals in 2 matches and both were cup games.